Festival "fashion" - what's your take on the concept?

OneLittleFish

What's your take on "festival fashion"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What importance does festival fashion have to you?

• It's really important that I'm looking good or fashionable at a festival. It's a social event and I went to look my best
    • I want to look decent but wouldn't go overboard with what I'm wearing
    • It doesn't hold that much importance to me but I still put thought into how I appear at a festival
    • I don't care at all, I take old clothes and whatever is on the tent floor first I put on
    • I'm a member of the Wurzels

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I thought about this, but Mrs scruff's bra on my head and nothing else didn't go down too well at camp. 

Oof, just a bra sounds like a recipe for painful sunburn. You'd better wear some knickers as well...

I like to look nice but practically is order of the day when it comes to festival....

i opt for a few tshirt dresses in various colours and pair of leggings or tights for each day. Hoody, rain jacket and daft knitted animal hat for evenings 

have lots of pretty scarves and bringing lots of glitter this year and my blue wig (as hair shit after day 1, it astounds me how girls can still have lovely hair throughout the festival- how??)

I'm not going to be winning any best dressed lists and I really don't care lol

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

it astounds me how girls can still have lovely hair throughout the festival- how??

I can only refer you to the queues of increasingly hacked off punters waiting to clean their teeth while said girls are washing their hair under the fucking taps in groups of 5 during the morning rush hour. Not that it's wound me up in the past or anything.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I can only refer you to the queues of increasingly hacked off punters waiting to clean their teeth while said girls are washing their hair under the fucking taps in groups of 5 during the morning rush hour. Not that it's wound me up in the past or anything.

Why do you need to clean your teeth at the taps lol just brush them at your tent with cup of water :D

That aside I have seen them wash at taps but its like how do the dry and straighten hair and make it all look nice??? I get scary hair lol and even is washed it, it would still dry in different directions lol

One of life's mysteries :huh:

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

There should be no queues for the sinks. It's almost impossible to wash hair in the sinks and you can brush your teeth with a water bottle at the tent.

Sinks should be for the almost dead getting a meagre amount of drinking water and for people washing their shitty hands.

16 minutes ago, Untz said:

There should be no queues for the sinks. It's almost impossible to wash hair in the sinks and you can brush your teeth with a water bottle at the tent.

Sinks should be for the almost dead getting a meagre amount of drinking water and for people washing their shitty hands.

Unless you already guzzled your water to try and stave off the inevitable hangover from hell

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Unless you already guzzled your water to try and stave off the inevitable hangover from hell

In which case you'd probably fit into then desparate queue. 

If you've already filled your basic hygiene needs you're more willing to head off to another tap that's about  a 10 minute walk away max from the queue you've just left. 

Edited by Untz

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Then you simply have two water bottles in your tent- one for teeth brushing (should last several days before it needs re-filling), one for drinking!

Edited by Mr.Tease

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Then you simply have two water bottles in your tent- one for teeth brushing (should last several days before it needs re-filling), one for drinking!

And one unlabelled mystery bottle that could vodka, water or Mystery. 

I wear exactly the same thing every festival... I bring 5 outfits that all consist of a pair of leggings and an above-knee length dress. I wear them with wellies if it's muddy or converse if it's not. I then bring a couple of hoodies and my rain mac. Done.

I guess I think about it a bit when I'm packing... like I make sure the dresses I pack are all nice patterned ones as opposed to plain. And I make sure they will go with my hoodies. But that's about it really.

I definitely dress differently to the outside world but mainly due to practicality. I take vests, t-shirts and hoodies to layer my top half depending on the weather, and then I take shorts, with leggings and'or wooly tights so I'm equipped for warm or cold weather. Quite often I wear shorts & vest/ t-shirt in the day, and then nip back to the tent and put some tights under my shorts and throw a hoodie on.

this is not the way I dress in Birmingham, but it's practical, light to pack, and yes, it looks festivalish.

My take is wear what you want (somewhat within reason). If that means buying a new "festival fashion" outfit and you feel good then that's fine by me. If you want to dress up, even better! If you want to wear old t-shirts and shorts then good for you!

Like people have said before, I'd recommend people stay away from longer dresses/dungarees and the like though as when drunk in the portaloos I imagine it's not easy! Your choice though if you do still wear them.

Personally, I do enjoy picking out nice(ish) outfits for the festival, but I always make sure they're practical and I don't mind ruining them either. My friends and I always pick a day too where you draw a name from a hat and have to buy that person a fancy dress/ridiculous outfit from the stores for a tenner. We then all wear the outfits out that evening. 

In essence, wear what you want and have a good time.

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Standard nerd uniform of band t-shirt + jeans/shorts for me, hoodie if it's cold. Meticulous planning of band t-shirt is paramount, as @bennyhana22 will attest to. Usually I like to wear across the weekend 1 x Los Campesinos! t-shirt (different one each year), 1 x Taylor Swift t-shirt, and the rest is open. I like to get bonus points for wearing a t-shirt related to a band playing the day I wear it (wearing the t-shirt of the band you're watching ist verboten in most cases). Would like to do fancy dress but I take the coach so never have the space. Back in Leeds festival days I did do some pretty sweet costuming for the last day; robot for LCD Soundsystem in 2010 and Wayne's World for At The Drive-In in 2012 - I was Garth.

This is correct, however this year I have a new (just arrived, actually) t-shirt about which I am extremely excited, and it's not a band t-shirt.

Don't panic though, disciples, as it is a record label t shirt and so fits into The Rules®.

It is unquestionably in the rucksack, leaving four more to make the Final Cut. It's not going to be pretty, having to explain to some of them why they won't make the promised land this year...

I've taken a pair of trousers to GF for the last two years but am definitely sacking them off this year as it's pointless. If When it's dry and lovely, I won't need them and even if it's as grim as last year (which it won't be as it'll be glorious), then I wouldn't want them. Shorts and long stripey socks were the business.

Regarding the creation of festival fashion as a thing, I can't, despite trying sooooo hard not to let it worry me, help but find it a little irksome. It's not that the subscribers don't look perfectly fine, it's that they create an Identikit (see what I did there...?) entity that it in direct conflict with what I love most about being at festivals, and Glastonbury in particular - namely that it's the one place where artifice and fakery can be left on the other side of the fence and people can be their true, uninhibited selves and I can get to meet them.

Or that's bollocks and I'm waaaaaaaay overthinking the whole shebang.

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, amfy said:

I definitely dress differently to the outside world but mainly due to practicality. I take vests, t-shirts and hoodies to layer my top half depending on the weather, and then I take shorts, with leggings and'or wooly tights so I'm equipped for warm or cold weather. Quite often I wear shorts & vest/ t-shirt in the day, and then nip back to the tent and put some tights under my shorts and throw a hoodie on.

this is not the way I dress in Birmingham, but it's practical, light to pack, and yes, it looks festivalish.

I can't remember which magazine it was, but there used to be a feature called Would They Wear It In Wigan? which was all the weird and wonderful fashions with a thumbs up or thumbs down as to whether you could wear it in the normal day-to-day. 

(Incidentally, I bought some purple swirly patterned tights from Primark in the sale today for one whole quid. I wouldn't wear them to walk down Cornmarket St in Oxford. But I'll be rocking them on the farm in June).

Practicality comes first - comfortable walking boots and a gilet with lots of zip pockets for security.  After that it's jeans or shorts, depending on the weather.  I do have a collection of brightly coloured festival shirts and T shirts that I enjoy wearing just to be cheerful.

I wear what I wear in real life. To me wearing 'festival clothes' is a tad fake.

If dressing up, that is different and for me  has ranged from camel to Debbie Harry's bodyguard, burning hat man or The Nerd. Had to be in character for those. 

(Edit... I can see the problems for, say example, someone who lives in a Saville Row suit and works for a bank in The City." Yah, I'm going to Glasto, Bought some hippy clobber in Carnaby Street"  Not sure of the answer to that one)

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

Probs already been said by the trusted, but glastonbury is the one place you can go and be who you are, and the normal people go who as they are, no pressure. If you wanna dress up, dress up. If you wanna look like a homeless Adam Henson, do it (I do). That's what makes it amazing. Fashion mags can fuck off. They're just trying to sell copies.