Festival "fashion" - what's your take on the concept?

OneLittleFish

What's your take on "festival fashion"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What importance does festival fashion have to you?

• It's really important that I'm looking good or fashionable at a festival. It's a social event and I went to look my best
    • I want to look decent but wouldn't go overboard with what I'm wearing
    • It doesn't hold that much importance to me but I still put thought into how I appear at a festival
    • I don't care at all, I take old clothes and whatever is on the tent floor first I put on
    • I'm a member of the Wurzels

I wear what I feel comfortable in but can't wear to work.  Have built up a set of leggings and sparkly tops over the years.  Added a tarp hat last year; might add a thing or two to it this year if anything catches my fancy.  Fashion has nowt to do with it. For me it's all about comfort (and ease of use of the longdrops).

1 minute ago, mandolin said:

I wear what I feel comfortable in but can't wear to work.  Have built up a set of leggings and sparkly tops over the years.  Added a tarp hat last year; might add a thing or two to it this year if anything catches my fancy.  Fashion has nowt to do with it. For me it's all about comfort (and ease of use of the longdrops).

Don't you feel that around the world we should just wear what we like, even to work? We all have a look. Every single human being in the world except the most hardcore naturalists makes a decision every morning about what to wear. No excuses for bad decisions,

1 minute ago, bamber said:

Don't you feel that around the world we should just wear what we like, even to work? We all have a look. Every single human being in the world except the most hardcore naturalists makes a decision every morning about what to wear. No excuses for bad decisions,

I feel that in an ideal world we could all wear what we want when we want.  However, neither the "leadership" of the NHS nor the majority of it's "customers" would appreciate me wearing anything other than slightly (at most) off-the-wall work-wear.  My refusal to remove a bracelet with enormous sentimental value caused quite the kerfuffle recently.  I compromise on the clothing because, frankly, I have much more important battles to fight in my working life and I can't be arsed to have to deal with the small-minded assumptions that my comfortable/festival clothing might lead to.

9 minutes ago, mandolin said:

I feel that in an ideal world we could all wear what we want when we want.  However, neither the "leadership" of the NHS nor the majority of it's "customers" would appreciate me wearing anything other than slightly (at most) off-the-wall work-wear.  My refusal to remove a bracelet with enormous sentimental value caused quite the kerfuffle recently.  I compromise on the clothing because, frankly, I have much more important battles to fight in my working life and I can't be arsed to have to deal with the small-minded assumptions that my comfortable/festival clothing might lead to.

I hear you, hospitals and clean rooms aside there should always be wriggle room.

8 hours ago, naughtygeorgie said:

Floaty floral might look lovely in the store but hanging down a longdrop it ain't going to look nice!

Sad, but true. I always have a great idea of buying some some lush flowy skirt, but my god, they are not designed for the glasto toilets. Although of course, the weather in all the years that I've been has shat all over the long skirt idea way before the long drops got anywhere close

5 hours ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

The usual studded thong and gimp mask for me. 

Oh and wellies too. 

I went to a stag do to isle of wight festival. I got there and thats what the groom had on... but flippers on instead of wellies & boxers, no thong.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Shorts, walking boots and a different t-shirt every day. I'm not interested in festival fashion or how I look to others, but I do like to feel good in my clothes. So I'll usually buy a couple of new pairs of shorts and a few t-shirts. That's the extent of it. I don't go for the whole 'whacky' fancy dress stuff. I can appreciate it but it's not worth it to invest in that for the sake of a few days, for me. 

6 hours ago, mandolin said:

7 hours ago, bamber said:

I got some funny looks at works drinks last week (lots of them for me...) after going off on a fairly long rant, using all of my favourite swear words, about how the concept of having to grow up and conform as a general concept is utter bollocks. All started when someone tried to talk to me about having "responsibilities to our stakeholders".

Bollocks to it says I.

Edited by Quark

I'm fortunate to not have a dress code at my work, it's nice to be myself everyday, the only time I conform a bit is when I go out with my best friend who thinks my dress sense is silly so I try not to embarrass her, to be fair my 3 year old niece told me I looked silly yesterday so my friend probably has a point. 
Charm x

My normal work dress is low key and tame but I happily interchange some of my casual clothes and festival clothes.  Ive also worn a flamenco dress, an indian sari, and a full leopard print cat suit to festivals. Basically anything loud, comfortable and slightly off the wall...always team with dm's or walking boots though!

18 hours ago, ancient_one said:

er...no. A load of old t-shirts, a pair of Craghoppers trousers with loads of pockets, a fleecy top, a sun hat, and that's yer lot. If I am ever in fashion, that's a bonus.

It's possible you are me and I hadn't realised. Replace sun hat with my faithful old Tarp Hat and that's me sorted.

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You did last year in Docs?

I did, I went with my dad and we were arguing which would be better docs or wellies, I think we decided on a draw in the end. The good thing, and problem, with the Docs is they didn't come off, ever. So there was no worrying about them coming off walking through mud, but I was cursed to wear them non stop for 20 hours a day whereas he could slide out of his wellies at any point. I'm 25 though so can hack them.

Really though I won because docs are bare cool.

1 hour ago, Charm said:

I'm fortunate to not have a dress code at my work, it's nice to be myself everyday, the only time I conform a bit is when I go out with my best friend who thinks my dress sense is silly so I try not to embarrass her, to be fair my 3 year old niece told me I looked silly yesterday so my friend probably has a point. 
Charm x

I'm sure wearing anything other than princess dresses or superhero outfits is silly to a 3 year old.

They might have a point.

I'm definitely in the 'wear stuff you couldn't wear to pop to Sainsbury's in' train of thought, but I'm reasonably unimaginative so in reality that usually means a pair of brightly coloured tights and shorts with a brightly coloured top that in no way matches, plus a stupid hat. And a fleece, obvs, because outdoorsy.