Festival Bags

JoBalls

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always take a backpack*, carry as much booze as I can, like a pack mule. Carry some for me pal as he has a bad back, he takes stuff in his pockets. Then sometimes we lose each other and he's got no booze but loads of smokes and I've got booze and no smokes!

Then sometimes we go back to the tent to get more booze, forget to take it then none of us have booze! Idiots.

*its always in front of my feet at the bands and when going through crowds :-)

5 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'd say the arse is unlikely to fall out of it until it's been shamelessly abused for a good long while

I at least expected Scruffylove to spot this one. :P

Slackin'

I'm all about the man bags for keeping rain ponchos (NFR, NFM, NFC, NF1975), a couple of beers, sun cream, clashfinders and spirits in, got one of these nearly ten years ago and although it's now filthy, has a big burn mark from a flare falling on it at the stone circle and is pretty beat up it's always my Glasto man bag :)

176_Dunlop_white_-and_green-_messenger_b

I always like to be as light on my feet as possible, so I typically use a money belt, which I think are far better than full sized fanny packs/bum bag as they sit close to your body and don't bounce around when you're dancing. Much more secure as well, if you're worried about that sort of thing, as you can wear them under your trousers. This is the one I'll be using this year:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friendly-Swede-Blocking-Sleeves-Passport/dp/B00N4J3FTC/ref=pd_sim_200_7?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=25MFFHP42K9NTFXK31TW

Everything else gets stuffed into my pockets or I hold in my hands, mainly bottles or flasks of alcohol. Spirits are better for transporting, as you need less. If I fancy a beer or cider, just for a change of taste, I'll just go buy one as a treat. Typically I smoke more than I drink anyway though.

If the weather is having spells of cold or wet, I'll take an ultralight backpack stuffed with an ultralight waterproof jacket and puffy jacket, which all pack into themselves easily. This is the backpack I'll be using this year:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friendly-Swede-Ultralight-Packable-Backpack/dp/B00Y0ZQIHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491582333&sr=8-1&keywords=friendly+swede+backpack

Over the years I've learned that packing light for the day (and the whole festival) is always the best way to go. Less energy spent transporting things = more energy to enjoy the festival. And if you do run out of supplies during the day, a quick jog back to the tents won't take so long since you're already light on your feet.

(I swear I don't advertise for the friendly swede)

I've tended to try and fit everything in a bum bag if I can, then as a group we take it in turns to carry a rucksack loaded up with all our booze. As has previously been stated bum bags are actually fashionable in some quarters, but you can also wear them across one shoulder too, if you feel too self conscious wearing one in the traditional way! 

This year there are less of us so I think I'm going to have to invest in a decent rucksack to carry the booze around in. I tried to be clever one year and put all our booze in a disposable rucksack that I could then fold up and put in the bum bag later on, but the strings killed my shoulders.

10 hours ago, Laurenkfj said:

Oooof where did you get this from please?? 

It's the Jack Wolfskin Hokus Pokus Bag, got it from Very.com because it's on sale but they sell it in lots of places.

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

You know that bag they give you on entry containing the programme and possibly a bin bag?

The handles on them could do with being a lot shorter so that said bag doesn't hit the mud!

What, the canvas Yeo Valley bags?

You're supposed to put them over your shoulder, not drag them around like some stroppy kid with their school bag.

A bum bag wouldn't be much good for me. It's surprising how much stuff I like to carry around with me: 

Travel Johns, hand disinfectant, toilet tissues, water, vodka, clashfinder, raincoat/poncho, sunglasses, Glasto free press, space for merch/purchases, phone and wallet. 

I've used this one for the last two Glastonburys I've been to. It's affordable, lots of compartments, light weight and can swivel around to the front when you're watching bands. Not so great to dance with, but when the sun goes down I tend to shove the essentials into my short pockets and go bagless anyway. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014OQ61IU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8tj6yb289Y374

Just how do lots of you travel so light? I am boggled by it. Once I am out for the day / evening theres no way I'm trawling all the way back up to Tom'sField again so it has to have coat, suncream, snacks, loo roll, torch, clashfinder, sunglasses, phone, hip flask. 

I suppose thats when camping in Pennards or Oxylers makes a difference as you can just go back for stuff.

43 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Just how do lots of you travel so light? I am boggled by it. Once I am out for the day / evening theres no way I'm trawling all the way back up to Tom'sField again so it has to have coat, suncream, snacks, loo roll, torch, clashfinder, sunglasses, phone, hip flask. 

I suppose thats when camping in Pennards or Oxylers makes a difference as you can just go back for stuff.

Yep same here once I've left tent I ain't going back (I camp in dairy) hence why have small backpack, it gets lighter once beers and hoody are out of it lol

Edited by shoptildrop

12 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I have one of those rucksacks that will go into a pocket, so there's always the option of putting it in your coat if you empty it.  By the end of the day I'll be wearing the coat, don't always have suncream, don't bother with snacks (buy grub when away from caravan), instead of loo roll have those pocket packs of tissues, torch will end up in coat pocket, as will clashfinder, don't bother with sunglasses, phone in jeans/trousers, instead of hip flask I'll have cans of tonic and the cans go in the bin so there'll be less to carry.

It's not much less really :)