2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

12 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

A guy I know who lives down Somerset way went to a do recently at one of the posh hotels near the festival site. He said he got talking to the owner who said that he had taken a booking for the festival weekend from a headliner band but was a bit worried as the band who made the booking had a bit of a reputation back in the day for trashing hotels. Made me wonder if it could be GnR.

This could describe any rock band from the 70's or 80's though.

32 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

A guy I know who lives down Somerset way went to a do recently at one of the posh hotels near the festival site. He said he got talking to the owner who said that he had taken a booking for the festival weekend from a headliner band but was a bit worried as the band who made the booking had a bit of a reputation back in the day for trashing hotels. Made me wonder if it could be GnR.

Roger Daltrey is signed to Polydor tbh.

1 hour ago, Fingerbobs said:

The Macca jetlag thing shouldn't be a problem. It's not as if he has to get up and do two full days in the office before Glastonbury. His body clock is all set to go for UK night time so all he has to do is maintain his Arizona bedtimes and he'll be full of more beans than anyone else at that time of night. It'll be like high altitude training the England team did before Mexico 86.

As Neil has said it's all relative to who was asked/booked first. If Macca was given a choice of three dates he may have decided to give himself as long as possible, if the Cure had already bagged the Sunday then he'll do Saturday.

23 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The Who 

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I find it hard to believe they were after Gaga and then ended up with Radiohead, Foos and Sheeran - all of whom would have been preferable bookings to Lady Gaga.

Aye. But Gaga's NME interview was October 2016 so I imagine they only had Radiohead booked at that stage (given they were announced at the end of Oct) so Gaga may well have just been on the list of possibilities at that stage which included Foo's and Sheeran, particularly if nothing was set in stone with Foo's and Sheeran at that stage. 

6 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Aye. But Gaga's NME interview was October 2016 so I imagine they only had Radiohead booked at that stage (given they were announced at the end of Oct) so Gaga may well have just been on the list of possibilities at that stage which included Foo's and Sheeran, particularly if nothing was set in stone with Foo's and Sheeran at that stage. 

I just watched back Gagas live performance of Million Reasons on Alan Carr in December 2016. When he asks her - are you going to play Glastonbury (which I assumed at the time was referring to Glasto 2017) she clearly starts to say “I can’t” then changes to “I don’t know” and shrugs. By the way she said it, I was 100% convinced at the time that meant she was playing in 17. She wouldn’t have been booked then for 19 though would she?

Cant fine the October NME interview where she mentions it. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

It's all relative, shirley. The Cure are not what I'd call a strong headliner, but I'd consider Kung Fu Kenny a strong act where others wouldn't. I'd look elsewhere if AM headlined but loads of people love them, whereas if Swifty headlined I'd be all over it.

Of course it's relative, I'd love to see Kenny myself, but between that trio I'd argue there'll be at least one act to keep the average Glasto punter happy.

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

The Cure

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Of course it's relative, I'd love to see Kenny myself, but between that trio I'd argue there'll be at least one act to keep the average Glasto punter happy.

I'd see Kenny but i'd be happy to see Gaga even before i seen ASIB but that has certainly swayed me. 

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I just watched back Gagas live performance of Million Reasons on Alan Carr in December 2016. When he asks her - are you going to play Glastonbury (which I assumed at the time was referring to Glasto 2017) she clearly starts to say “I can’t” then changes to “I don’t know” and shrugs. By the way she said it, I was 100% convinced at the time that meant she was playing in 17. She wouldn’t have been booked then for 19 though would she?

This could be a response relating to the filming of A Star Is Born. She may have known at the time that filming would be taking place at Glastonbury but may not have been sure if her scenes would have been filmed there or Coachella (as someone mentioned previously).

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

If Gaga is booked, are we sure she'd headline? Prior to this recent film, had she lost a bit of relevance to be booked as a headliner?

That was my take on it. I'm not overly familiar with her stuff but prior to the film I don't remember hearing a great deal about her, certainly compared to a few years ago anyway when she was everywhere

I guess she could be quite a recent booking though, if it is her

18 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I think there's a good chance she was booked for 17, but plans fell through and a handshake arrangement was made that she would return to play in the future. She wouldn't have signed a contract that far back, but there's definitely a chance it was informally agreed. 

It's not concrete at all and there's still nothing directly linking her to it, but my hunch is she's the 3rd headliner and it ties back to Neil's info from a couple of years ago about her playing, with something falling through and preventing it from happening back then.

• Upvote 1

Little Andy's 3rd headliner inklings 7th November, in order of likelihood 

1. Lady Gaga eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act, she is touring, some random bloke says a headliner is on Polydor, and eFestivals members are going nuts on how she was rumoured 2 years back! But, has she lost relevance to be booked as a headliner?

2.  Kendrick Lamar eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act, and some random bloke says a headliner is on Polydor! But he is not touring.

3. Taylor Swift : Some random music promoter guy with no reason to trust him says it's her. And eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

4. The 1975 : Apparently have been offered to play the festival, but they are expected for Leeds and Reading. Though some random bloke says a headliner is on Polydor, eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

5. Stormzy : Tweeted about Glastonbury, but only has 1 album. And eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

6. Mumford and Sons : We all love banjos.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

Little Andy's 3rd headliner inklings 7th November, in order of likelihood 

1. Lady Gaga eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act, she is touring, some random bloke says a headliner is on Polydor, and eFestivals members are going nuts on how she was rumoured 2 years back! But, has she lost relevance to be booked as a headliner?

2.  Kendrick Lamar eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act, and some random bloke says a headliner is on Polydor! But he is not touring.

3. Taylor Swift : Some random music promoter guy with no reason to trust him says it's her. And eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

4. The 1975 : Apparently have been offered to play the festival, but they are expected for Leeds and Reading. Though some random bloke says a headliner is on Polydor, eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

5. Stormzy : Tweeted about Glastonbury, but only has 1 album. And eFestivals guesses it could be a non-UK act.

6. Mumford and Sons : We all love banjos.

Surely Gaga has gained relevance? I wouldn't have pegged her as a headliner necessarily back in 2017, but now she definitely is!

Probably is the Cure. One can only imagine the carnage after Bob Smith drags his sweaty arse into bed, all that eyeliner and lippy all over the bed clothes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I thought GnR weren't active next year? Slash is doing his solo stuff again. Unless they've been booked as a one off...or it's actually Axl/DC?

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Surely Gaga has gained relevance? I wouldn't have pegged her as a headliner necessarily back in 2017, but now she definitely is!

The eavii couldn't have known how well the film and soundtrack would be received and I would have thought headliner talks would have started long before this film was out. If it had bombed then you look at her previous album which wasn't spawning hits.

5 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

The eavii couldn't have known how well the film and soundtrack would be received and I would have thought headliner talks would have started long before this film was out. If it had bombed then you look at her previous album which wasn't spawning hits.

I dunno why this is always what people say with pop acts. The last Foo Fighters album didn't spawn any hits either but they were still booked to headline.

One of our crew said they heard the Spice Girls interview on Radio 2 earlier. Apparently they were talking constantly about an 'extra show' they couldn't specifically name, which they had been offered and that their tour built from that. My mate seemed to conclude they were intimating about Glastonbury, did anyone catch the interview? Can't see it mentioned on here, I'm not sure I believe the festival would have outright sought them to headline but stranger things have happened.