2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He already has nearly three days to recover if he plays Saturday. Whereas The Cure seem to be avoiding back-to-back shows in different countries on their tour. I’d go as far as to say Macca is Saturday or nowt - he played Saturday last time and Muse played Sunday so I don’t think treating the locals was such a concern at that point.

It's not quite three days though, his gig finishes Wednesday night - Thursday morning our time. Even if he went straight from the gig to the airport he'll still be arriving back in the UK late Thursday/early Friday. That's less than 48 hours to get ready if he's playing Saturday night.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's not quite three days though, his gig finishes Wednesday night - Thursday morning our time. Even if he went straight from the gig to the airport he'll still be arriving back in the UK late Thursday/early Friday. That's less than 48 hours to get ready if he's playing Saturday night.

What do you mean ‘get ready’ though? What’s he doing in the UK that he’s not doing on a top-of-the-range private jet?

• Upvote 1

Resting on a jet, no matter how top of the range, is not the same as resting on land. The guy is 77 and flying back from Phoenix would be tiring for anyone. I'm sure Macca could play Saturday if that was the only option, but I think The Cure would happily do back to back dates in this instance. I'm not being funny, but The Cure doing Glastonbury in 2019 is a massive coup for them so I doubt they will turn their nose up at back to back shows given the enormity of the gig.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Resting on a jet, no matter how top of the range, is not the same as resting on land. The guy is 77 and flying back from Phoenix would be tiring for anyone. I'm sure Macca could play Saturday if that was the only option, but I think The Cure would happily do back to back dates in this instance. I'm not being funny, but The Cure doing Glastonbury in 2019 is a massive coup for them so I doubt they will turn their nose up at back to back shows given the enormity of the gig.

Yeah, what he said.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Even if this luxury aircraft is in fact a shitbox, he still has 48 hours in the UK before showtime.

Then you have The Cure, in their sixties themselves, finishing a few-hour set in Belgium less than 24 hours before showtime and they can fit all their rest into that - despite them deliberately spacing all their other festival dates out?

• Upvote 1

The 1975 have just been announced as playing Benicassim 2019 but not as a headline spot.

Is it just me that thinks it would be odd if The 1975 were to headline Glasto but not Benicassim? Not saying that they're not big enough but if they were to play next year, perhaps it's genuinely not as a headliner. Or maybe they're just playing Reading and Leeds...

Edited by EamerRed

2 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

The 1975 have just been announced as playing Benicassim 2019 but not as a headline spot.

Is it just me that thinks it would be odd if The 1975 were to headline Glasto but not Benicassim? Not saying that they're not big enough but if they were to play next year, perhaps it's genuinely not as a headliner. Or maybe they're just playing Reading and Leeds...

The 1975 are bigger over here than in mainland Europe from what I understand, so whilst it would be odd it wouldn't be out of possibility. They could well be headlining R+L, there the perfect headliner for it. 

15 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think The Cure would happily do back to back dates in this instance. I'm not being funny, but The Cure doing Glastonbury in 2019 is a massive coup for them so I doubt they will turn their nose up at back to back shows given the enormity of the gig.

Why? I highly suspect the festival will have come knocking at their door. They’ve never had a great relationship with the festival, and aren’t adverse to holding a grudge. I suspect they could take or leave playing and the festival will do whatever they can to accommodate them. 

8 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Why? I highly suspect the festival will have come knocking at their door. They’ve never had a great relationship with the festival, and aren’t adverse to holding a grudge. I suspect they could take or leave playing and the festival will do whatever they can to accommodate them. 

I'd say that both bands and venues know they have to be flexible when they can be about these sorts of things, because there can be commitments to other bands and other dates in the mix.

So, for example, if Macca was booked first and specifically for the Sunday, that would mean it was Saturday or nothing for The Cure. They'd be able to turn it down if they wanted to, but why would they want to? Playing is better than not playing.

But anyway, for all we know they might have booked Glasto first, and their Friday date was the one arranged 2nd.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say that both bands and venues know they have to be flexible when they can be about these sorts of things, because there can be commitments to other bands and other dates in the mix.

So, for example, if Macca was booked first and specifically for the Sunday, that would mean it was Saturday or nothing for The Cure. They'd be able to turn it down if they wanted to, but why would they want to? Playing is better than not playing.

But anyway, for all we know they might have booked Glasto first, and their Friday date was the one arranged 2nd.

Or they you know might not be playing. 

It's The Cure Saturday and Macca Sunday all day from where I'm sitting, if they both play. Belgium - UK is absolutely nothing for The Cure, especially with a good few days gap then until Exit.

Macca is 77 (I think..), with time difference his Phoenix gig will probably finish about 7am Thursday morning English time, then add a 9/10 hour flight back to the UK onto that. He'll need all the time he can get, not to mention he's a perfect Sunday headliner

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Even if this luxury aircraft is in fact a shitbox, he still has 48 hours in the UK before showtime.

Then you have The Cure, in their sixties themselves, finishing a few-hour set in Belgium less than 24 hours before showtime and they can fit all their rest into that - despite them deliberately spacing all their other festival dates out?

Macca will have jet lag to deal with, the Cure won’t. Travelling from Belgium is nothing.

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

It's The Cure Saturday and Macca Sunday all day from where I'm sitting, if they both play. Belgium - UK is absolutely nothing for The Cure, especially with a good few days gap then until Exit.

Macca is 77 (I think..), with time difference his Phoenix gig will probably finish about 7am Thursday morning English time, then add a 9/10 hour flight back to the UK onto that. He'll need all the time he can get, not to mention he's a perfect Sunday headliner

I think it's closer to a 14 hour flight back from Phoenix! I've been to Vegas and it was about that length.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I think it's closer to a 14 hour flight back from Phoenix! I've been to Vegas and it was about that length.

Surely not.. I did San Francisco to Manchester in 10 hours the other week and that's further west, either way.. the man needs some time 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yeah I can understand that, it’s the concept The Cure would be almost begging at the table for any scraps that I would disagree with.

4 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Yeah I can understand that, it’s the concept The Cure would be almost begging at the table for any scraps that I would disagree with.

I didn't say they were begging to play.

If the Eavii approached them to play then I do think The Cure would have been pleasantly surprised to be offered such a huge gig and not be picky about when they play.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I assume we won’t be using jet lag or rest days to rule McCartney out if The Cure are announced first, for Sunday?

correct from where I'm sat.

I was told the names but not days, so if the days are different to what I've guessed at then that changes nothing about whether the names might be right.