The XX

gmb1992

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, arcade fireman said:

Sunset slot in front of a bunch of Radiohead fans I think they'll do pretty well. Depends on how the new album does too though. 

It's still a Pyramid crowd. People have spent months detailing how Radiohead are gonna cater to the casual attendee so perhaps not just a bunch of Radiohead fans. Besides, that assumes all Radiohead fans would like The xx, anecdotal I know but most of my Radiohead fan friends think they're boring as sin. 

Anyway, I know we're disregarding any 'rule' about playing in the dark at this point but they're not entirely accustom to it and those two dancing around each other to Jamie's samples in the sun might fall flat. I agree it depends on a new album though. It WILL work on the Other Stage again though so I'd still find that less of a risk.

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's still a Pyramid crowd. People have spent months detailing how Radiohead are gonna cater to the casual attendee so perhaps not just a bunch of Radiohead fans. Besides, that assumes all Radiohead fans would like The xx, anecdotal I know but most of my Radiohead fan friends think they're boring as sin. 

Anyway, I know we're disregarding any 'rule' about playing in the dark at this point but they're not entirely accustom to it and those two dancing around each other to Jamie's samples in the sun might fall flat. I agree it depends on a new album though. It WILL work on the Other Stage again though so I'd still find that less of a risk.

Rather see 'em in the sun than not at all, which becomes likely once all the headliner clashes come in. They're also one of our best bets for the Radiohead sub slot - rather them than Elbow or whatever, and I think they're better suited to subbing than Bon Iver.

22 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Or naw. They'll die a death on the Pyramid. I would take Other headliner again in a heartbeat. Saturday night would be cool now they're bringing the party mix.

I wouldn't be so sure, I think it'l be fine

I had it in my mind that Tame Impala on the pyramid would be a disaster

I think we tend to forget on these boards that the XX are a very popular band and probably don't have to win anyone over at all

Edited by Matt42

4 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I wouldn't be so sure, I think it'l be fine

I had it in my mind that Tame Impala on the pyramid would be a disaster

I think we tend to forget on these boards that the XX are a very popular band and probably don't have to win anyone over at all

Spot on - if their live shows continue to be as great as they have been and they bring the bangers with their new album then they'll absolutely nail that slot and have a huge crowd to boot. I'd go as far as saying it'd be a waste to have them headlining Other again - they're better/bigger than that now

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Cheers for the heads up, how did you get on with the rest?

I'm really impressed with it, better than I was expecting. I've now changed my mind about where I want them to play though, I think the album deserves a headline slot on the Other.

loved it.

i think you can really hear the Jamie sound throughout, songs are a lot fuller/richer sounding. even the stripped-back tracks like Performance and Test Me sound much more mature than the bare-bones tracks on the debut.

favourite tracks are probably Dangerous, Replica and Brave For You.

i'd love for them to headline the Other too, although I can definitely see several of these tracks working in a Pyramid sub set.

Just now, st dan said:

Headlining The Other stage again surely won't appeal to them too much? Especially as they closed it on the Sunday night (and smashed it) in 2013. 

Pryamid sub makes sense all round.

I'm honestly starting to think that they're verging on being too big for Other headliner these days anyway. They're a band on the up and up, and their absence has clearly done nothing but good things for them as they've returned bigger than ever. They'll undoubtedly return as headliners come the next album, so Pyramid sub for them this time definitely feels right

25 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm honestly starting to think that they're verging on being too big for Other headliner these days anyway. They're a band on the up and up, and their absence has clearly done nothing but good things for them as they've returned bigger than ever. They'll undoubtedly return as headliners come the next album, so Pyramid sub for them this time definitely feels right

Yeah you're probably right, and I agree - there is a real buzz around them and the new album. It's great to see such hype around a relatively alternative band, given this current music climate we live in.

Although it's probably to do with Jamie's success on his solo album, and reaching out to those who prefer a bit more 'popular' music.  

1 minute ago, DropBeat said:

Haven't heard it yet, but really excited to give it a listen later having read these comments. I definitely think they'll sub Pyramid, they deserve it.

Jamie's set in 2015 is one of my favourite Glastonbury moments so I am so excited to see them.

Yeah that set was fantastic wasnt it. Perfect slot at the perfect time. Sun setting allowing the back end to make use of additonal light show.

Id still like to see them headline a stage so as to have max lights/mood effect. but can see the arguments for pyramid sub - and to be honest I would probably be more likely to see them if they subbed.

4 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah that set was fantastic wasnt it. Perfect slot at the perfect time. Sun setting allowing the back end to make use of additonal light show.

Id still like to see them headline a stage so as to have max lights/mood effect. but can see the arguments for pyramid sub - and to be honest I would probably be more likely to see them if they subbed.

Yeah it was such a great moment, the sunset was the perfect touch, and then it got dark just in time for Gosh/Loud places. I've watched that set back a few times and it brings it all back. 

I think I'm in the same boat, likely to be a nasty clash if they headline other. Whereas if they sub I think it'll be more likely my whole group will get to see them. Gonna check out the album now.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

loved it.

i think you can really hear the Jamie sound throughout, songs are a lot fuller/richer sounding. even the stripped-back tracks like Performance and Test Me sound much more mature than the bare-bones tracks on the debut.

favourite tracks are probably Dangerous, Replica and Brave For You.

i'd love for them to headline the Other too, although I can definitely see several of these tracks working in a Pyramid sub set.

Yeah they've really benefitted from his influence on it!

Similar tracks to me actually - my current favourites are Dangerous, Replica and Lips.

Either way, it's gonna be great to have them there. I just hope they're before Radiohead if they do play the Pyramid as that'll be the best top 2 in my time at Glastonbury... by some distance!