The XX

gmb1992

Just wondering if anyone heard their set on Annie Mac's show last night and it was fantastic and worth a listen if you're a fan... or even if you're not.

I saw them headline The Other stage in 2013 and it was the most perfect end to the festival really hoping to see them on the bill

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it was absolutely marvelous. The Shelter/Gosh get together was a thing of beauty. I've had it in my head for a while they're absolutely nailed on to be at the festival. More recently i've had it in my head they'll headline the other and not play the pyramid, i'm of course just basing this on personal thoughts though 

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Yes it was absolutely marvelous. The Shelter/Gosh get together was a thing of beauty. I've had it in my head for a while they're absolutely nailed on to be at the festival. More recently i've had it in my head they'll headline the other and not play the pyramid, i'm of course just basing this on personal thoughts though 

Isn't it in written into their contracts or something that they'll only play in the dark? I remember someone on here (may have been in the R&L section) saying that and thinking it was ludicrous, but then someone provided an interview or something where they confirmed this.

Obviously things may have changed since, especially if they go in a different direction with this new album, but I'm surprised so many people are touting them as Pyramid subs rather than Other headliners.

Saying that, I do think they'd work really well in the sunset, especially before Radiohead. If they do go with an indie-type act before Radiohead I think alt-J are more likely.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

In my mind Bon Iver and The XX are are the two contenders to play before Radiohead, with the one that doesn't headlining th Other against FF.

I reckon they'll both headline Other along with Major Lazer.

Radiohead vs Major Lazer

Ed Sheeran vs The xx

Foo Fighters vs Bon Iver

Three of Royal Blood, Elbow, Lady Gaga and alt-J as subs.

Just now, Will-2609 said:

I reckon they'll both headline Other along with Major Lazer.

Radiohead vs Major Lazer

Ed Sheeran vs The xx

Foo Fighters vs Bon Iver

Three of Royal Blood, Elbow, Lady Gaga and alt-J as subs.

I can't see Alt-J playing such a prominent slot next year. They were originally meant to sub last year weren't they? Would they be booked so soon after that in a similar position? I can't see it personally. 

Ill probably end up seeing FF with my mates, so I hope to the good dude that Bon Iver aren't on Sunday night!

18 minutes ago, donkeykong said:

Haven't heard it yet but that suggests they played a bit of Jamie xx? Would love to see some of his songs added to the live set. Loud Places on the Pyramid? Yes please... 

Loud Places, See Saw and Stranger In A Room will surely fit in quite nicely, those on Pyramid (or Other) would be great! Anything to recapture some of the magic of Jamie's set at The Park in 2015.

Just hope there isnt a nasty clash!

I greatly regret my decision to finish my festival with the kids that year, we'd just enjoyed Smashing pumpkins and I agreed to go to see the Mumfords, which was one of the most flat gigs I've ever experienced.  I've watched that XX gig on iplayer many times since and they were bang on.  I'd be there in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

I greatly regret my decision to finish my festival with the kids that year, we'd just enjoyed Smashing pumpkins and I agreed to go to see the Mumfords, which was one of the most flat gigs I've ever experienced.  I've watched that XX gig on iplayer many times since and they were bang on.  I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Smashing Pumpkins into XX was a dream for me ! 

Yeah, a mate who is coming for his first glastonbury is a huge Jamie XX fan, so I'd happily skip pretty much anything to share in his moment of joy.  I know that it would be special for him (although I'm confident the bill is going to be chock a block with stuff he's going to be mad about).

Personally i hope someone like the xx go up against radiohead on the friday to split the crowd up. They'll need to announce a strong other headliner with a hardcore fan base.

Otherwise it's going to be like the rolling stones where it felt like everyone turned up for it. Even towards the back of the pyramid field where it's usually a bit more spead, for the stones it was like shoulder to shoulder.

Makes no difference to those that mingle closer in to the front anyhow, but i reckon watching radiohead from further back, chillin and just soaking up the great tunes is what we'll be doing

Are bloc party back on the scene again? Could a great group like that go up against them?

10 minutes ago, Feststation said:

Personally i hope someone like the xx go up against radiohead on the friday to split the crowd up. They'll need to announce a strong other headliner with a hardcore fan base.

Otherwise it's going to be like the rolling stones where it felt like everyone turned up for it. Even towards the back of the pyramid field where it's usually a bit more spead, for the stones it was like shoulder to shoulder.

Makes no difference to those that mingle closer in to the front anyhow, but i reckon watching radiohead from further back, chillin and just soaking up the great tunes is what we'll be doing

Are bloc party back on the scene again? Could a great group like that go up against them?

Probably nowhere near big enough these days, their last album was a bit of a flop and they were playing academy size venues off the back of it - which I don't think sold out

9 minutes ago, doosrawin said:

Probably nowhere near big enough these days, their last album was a bit of a flop and they were playing academy size venues off the back of it - which I don't think sold out

Ahh, not at all likely then. Maybe they should try and get some geezer like calvin harris to go up against radiohead. At least then you know it has an opportunity for the young ravers to split up from the chillers on that night.

3 hours ago, nikkic said:

I think The XX will sub Radiohead. That is all. 

yeah i'm thinking this at the moment. one of them, Bon Iver or Alt-J seem like the most likely candidates to sub with the other two/three poised to take a Other headlining slot, and considering they 'headlined' it in 2013 i think they'll be taking the main stage sub slot this time 'round