Quark

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Just heard.

RIP Rick :sorry:

I no longer give any credence to the argument that this is a statistical inevitability given the increased visibility if celebrity culture and I have concluded that 2016 is a murdering bitch.

Yeah it would make sense for there to be a steady increase over time, but it can't be logical for the increase in deaths in one calendar year to be this steep. Just pure rotten bad luck.

ffs; 2016 is sucking us dry.

By a strange coincidence I bought 12 Gold Bars Vol II in my local record shop earlier this afternoon, an impromptu xmas present for my brother. 

Happy memories of seeing the mighty Quo several times in my life, including a great start to the afternoon at Glastonbury 2009 (check out the YouTube footage; magic).

Genuinely shocked on this festive eve; RIP Rick.

Gutted

ace times :)

Edited by oneeye

Happy memories of Quo, at various times, including that Glastonbury 2009 set. 

I was lucky enough to meet them through work in about 2004. As they signed a photo for me, I told them I'd seen them at Reading as long ago as the late 70s, and that even then they were billed as the veteran act. Rick Parfitt looked at me, handed me the photo, and said "thanks - now f**k off". 

Top bloke.

One of the joys of Glastonbury is that so many great performances are filmed and captured in high quality to give us a legacy to look back on - like Quo in 2009.  

My only sadness is that Leonard Cohen's set wasn't allowed to be filmed - though I did get to see his full tour later, which has to remain as one of the standout concerts of my life.

Edited by grumpyhack

34 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

One of the joys of Glastonbury is that so many great performances are filmed and captured in high quality to give us a legacy to look back on - like Quo in 2009.  

My only sadness is that Leonard Cohen's set wasn't allowed to be filmed - though I did get to see his full tour later, which has to remain as one of the standout concerts of my life.

This RE: Leonard still rankles me to this day. 

My not even teen kids were fucking spellbound by that set. Stood silent and transfixed - like me - for the entirety  

It was just really something else and otherworldly. 

So, and, RIP Rick for having a similar but different effect on people's lives. 

2016, go fuck yourself. 

RIP George

On 08/12/2016 at 9:50 PM, Rumblestripe said:

time2016%20copy_zpshtjeyijr.jpg

(With apologies to Paul Kidby and Terry Pratchett)

http://weheartmusic.typepad.com/blog/musicians-who-died-in-2016.html

Above website lists 573 musicians who have died (so far) in 2016, including the recent deaths of 64 members of the Red Army Choir, in terms of "popular" music we have seen the departure of:

David Bowie
Glenn Frey
Maurice White
Viola Beach
Sir George Martin
Keith Emerson
Merle Haggard
Prince
Dave Swarbrick
Bobby Vee
Pete Burns
Sharon Jones
Leonard Cohen
Greg Lake
Rick Parfitt
George Michael

Outside of music we have said farewell to Muhammed Ali and Sir Terry Wogan, we've had "Brexit" and said "oh fuck" to the election of "The Donald". With five days still to go, let's hope for a better 2017.

NFR NFD

(No F'in Rain, No F'in Deaths)