Other Stage 2017

Gucci Piggy

9 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

As a grime know-nothing I've heard of Skepta but never heard of Boy Better Know so you probably have a point here. 

Yeah it is a very good point. I wasn't that aware of BBK until I started getting into the few grime albums that I like.

They could definitely headline though I think. It would be a big statement and a good statement imo - not sure how they would get around that lack of knowledge from casual listeners though.

The only thing I can see is it being presented as 'Boy Better Know Presents:' kind of deal but the list of names after would be too long..

Edited by mjsell

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please excuse my ignorance, but is Stormzy big enough to headline the OS? I'm not the biggest grime fan in the world, don't mind listening to a few tunes if they're on but not too sure of how popular artists are, apart from Skepta and Wiley. Didn't think Stormzy was big enough to pull a crowd like them two could. Especially considering previous years' headliners, to name a few; New Order, LCD, Chemical Bros, Massive Attack, Portishead, Primal Scream, QOTSA etc.

Would quite enjoy Green Day on the OS, I know people think they might be too big, but they've headlined R+L and surely the OS crowd is a similar size? If they were up against Radiohead for example I think it could work.

Just my two penneth!

4 minutes ago, joeyjarman said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but is Stormzy big enough to headline the OS? I'm not the biggest grime fan in the world, don't mind listening to a few tunes if they're on but not too sure of how popular artists are, apart from Skepta and Wiley. Didn't think Stormzy was big enough to pull a crowd like them two could. Especially considering previous years' headliners, to name a few; New Order, LCD, Chemical Bros, Massive Attack, Portishead, Primal Scream, QOTSA etc.

Would quite enjoy Green Day on the OS, I know people think they might be too big, but they've headlined R+L and surely the OS crowd is a similar size? If they were up against Radiohead for example I think it could work.

Just my two penneth!

Stormzy is up there with Wiley in terms of current size (Skepta a step above imo). But considering he hasn't even released an album yet, you would assume his stock will only continue to rise when he eventually does. Like has been said he is playing 3 nights at brixton academy (2 currently sold out) so the hype is most definitely there.

Having said all that - I still can't see any of them headlining Other individually. Perhaps as Boy Better Know, but even then that would be a bold statement from the festival. I have Wiley down as headlining JP though in my predictions.

13 minutes ago, joeyjarman said:

Just my two penneth!

In a word, no.

6 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Stormzy is up there with Wiley in terms of current size (Skepta a step above imo). But considering he hasn't even released an album yet, you would assume his stock will only continue to rise when he eventually does. Like has been said he is playing 3 nights at brixton academy (2 currently sold out) so the hype is most definitely there.

Having said all that - I still can't see any of them headlining Other individually. Perhaps as Boy Better Know, but even then that would be a bold statement from the festival. I have Wiley down as headlining JP though in my predictions.

This is pretty much what I was thinking to be honest!

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

In a word, no.

Straight to the point. I like it.

21 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Hot Chip sold out 2 nights at Brixton Academy when they headlined West Holts, so Stormzy is just a bit ahead of that if you're going purely by tickets sold. Not big enough to headline Other yet.

Hot Chip also have 6 studio albums compared to Stormzy's 0 (as of yet).

I'm all for promoting and giving new talent a chance, but giving such a lengthy and prominent slot to someone who will have only one album out might work against that. Can't see why he would place that much higher than Skepta, who I am led to believe is the most prominent Grime artist. It's not a genre I'm exceptonally clued up on to be honest, but booking someone so high when they haven't released a single album seems like a bizarre decision.

1 hour ago, joeyjarman said:

Just my two penneth!

The area in front of the stage at R&L is probably about twice the size of the Other.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

West Holts will do 35k. Other stage will do waaay more.

While it's a bit debatable (in terms of how many can fit in the vicinity vs how many can get good sight/sound) - documentation submitted as part of the 2002 licence quoted Other at 40k and JazzWorld at 25k. Steve Symons did an interview a year or so ago where he also quoted 25k.

1 hour ago, joeyjarman said:

Straight to the point. I like it.

I don't think any of them are big enough, Skepta probably the closest but sub highest for me, same for Stormzy who shouldn't really get that. Wiley 3rd.

46 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The area in front of the stage at R&L is probably about twice the size of the Other.

It may not be twice the size but it's certainly bigger than the Other stage.

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

Perhaps as Boy Better Know, but even then that would be a bold statement from the festival.

I agree but I really am struggling to think who could be up against Radiohead. I thought The Prodigy but imo they look unlikely now due to their other festival appearances over the weekend. After that there's The Weeknd but I feel he's more likely to be a Wireless headliner; not sure if they tend to be exclusive or not. After that I'm stumped, and Boy Better Know would be a great booking in my eyes.

50 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I agree but I really am struggling to think who could be up against Radiohead. I thought The Prodigy but imo they look unlikely now due to their other festival appearances over the weekend. After that there's The Weeknd but I feel he's more likely to be a Wireless headliner; not sure if they tend to be exclusive or not. After that I'm stumped, and Boy Better Know would be a great booking in my eyes.

Probably plenty of Deadmau5-esque uninspired dance acts they could whip out instead. Who was Friday night last year? Disclosure? It'll be someone equally as boring.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

If they are, it's usually because there's no festivals surrounding them that would book the act where they'd want. Reckon The Weeknd has a strong chance of featuring at both.

Ah fair enough. In that case I'll stick with the Weeknd.

Radiohead / Elbow

The Weeknd

Ed Sheeran / Royal Blood

The xx

Foo Fighters / Kaiser Chiefs

alt-J

Gonna go with this for now as I'm totally stumped for anyone else to take those Pyramid sub/Other headline slots (going totally back on my word regarding Kaisers, I know). If what was said about Bon Iver pulling out of Bestival is true I guess maybe Kaisers were planned to be 3rd down on Sunday with either Bon Iver planned to sub or alt-J planned to sub with Bon Iver on the Other and a rearranging has left Kaisers as subs. Still doesn't feel right to me but I can't think of anyone to take that slot instead with previously likely looking subs such as Lady Gaga looking less likely now.

1 hour ago, MattDavies__ said:

Probably plenty of Deadmau5-esque uninspired dance acts they could whip out instead. Who was Friday night last year? Disclosure? It'll be someone equally as boring.

Yeah but both Disclosure and Deadmau5 looked likely before the announcement. There's no one seemingly around this time round who look likely.

Major Lazer initially did but are exclusive to R&L.

Prodigy looked a possibility but have announced other fests that weekend making them seem unlikely.

Chase and Status probably too small now.

Pendulum most likely only back for the big money.

Who else is there that's Other headline sized? Saying that, we'll probably end up with some shiter like Tiesto now

12 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Ah fair enough. In that case I'll stick with the Weeknd.

Radiohead / Elbow

The Weeknd

Ed Sheeran / Royal Blood

The xx

Foo Fighters / Kaiser Chiefs

alt-J

Gonna go with this for now as I'm totally stumped for anyone else to take those Pyramid sub/Other headline slots (going totally back on my word regarding Kaisers, I know). If what was said about Bon Iver pulling out of Bestival is true I guess maybe Kaisers were planned to be 3rd down on Sunday with either Bon Iver planned to sub or alt-J planned to sub with Bon Iver on the Other and a rearranging has left Kaisers as subs. Still doesn't feel right to me but I can't think of anyone to take that slot instead with previously likely looking subs such as Lady Gaga looking less likely now.

Yeah but both Disclosure and Deadmau5 looked likely before the announcement. There's no one seemingly around this time round who look likely.

Major Lazer initially did but are exclusive to R&L.

Prodigy looked a possibility but have announced other fests that weekend making them seem unlikely.

Chase and Status probably too small now.

Pendulum most likely only back for the big money.

Who else is there that's Other headline sized? Saying that, we'll probably end up with some shiter like Tiesto now

Well there's Boy Better Know who I guess you forgot to include but that's it really, definitely don't see Justice doing it. I still think Lady Gaga might play but far from confident and would be more likely to with your suggestions.