Headliner predictions 2017

swede

Just now, dentalplan said:

Sure but I meant it in an "I've no idea how she's managing the above" kinda way, with the increased availability of music and the joy people have in dismissing artists as yesterday's news.

I reckon you were wrong on the first point anyway. There's a high churn of female pop stars because a lot are manufactured, the ones with a bit of autonomy and their own identity stick around for a while (except Katy Pezzo, she sticks around through being happy to be manufactured in any way her label wants... but then again you could say that blank vessel is sort of her identity).

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, supreme said:

Not that we needed anymore confirmation i'm pretty sure Ed is on about Glastonbury at the 56:40!

Not pressed play but that still is wrong in so many ways, Zane looks like Gary Glitter in profile, Ed looks ill, both of them are sat really awkwardly, and them records in the background are stacked flat on top of each other! Way to wreck all your shit albums Zane.

1 minute ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I reckon you were wrong on the first point anyway. There's a high churn of female pop stars because a lot are manufactured, the ones with a bit of autonomy and their own identity stick around for a while (except Katy Pezzo, she sticks around through being happy to be manufactured in any way her label wants... but then again you could say that blank vessel is sort of her identity).

I'm gonna wager you and I have different views on who is 'sticking around' if you reckon Katy Perry is still worth mentioning. She's definitely been bigger and would be unlikely to get the call from Glasto at this point.

7 minutes ago, supreme said:

Not that we needed anymore confirmation i'm pretty sure Ed is on about Glastonbury at the 56:40!

Good old Zane, still picking up Glasto confirms from beyond the grave.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

lmaooooo some 'journo' typed it up I'm DEAD.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think Ed did say tho that Taylor has a personal gripe against festivals as they don't allow her to use her own productions etc.

Which isn't surprising tbh - but i'd wager it's more a case of Glasto not offering enough

Did he really say that? It's not a statement that makes a whole amount of sense -

Festivals will allow an artist to use whatever degree of production that the artist can negotiate (and bearing in mind any incurred costs are likely to either be paid by the artist or affect their agreed fee). This can vary by quite a bit - obviously the act opening the stage at isn't going to be able to best placed to negotiate. However headliners do have the ability to call the shots (some moreso than others) as long as what they want is logistically viable.

The most extreme example I can think of (albeit one that's extremely unlikely to ever be replicated at Glastonbury), AC/DC negotiated to have complete control of their own production at Download, to the extent that they had their own stage that nobody else was allowed to use all weekend.

At Glastonbury, while they've not always been logistically able to bring in all the bells and whistles they'd have at their own shows, headlining acts have had a lot of control and ability to tweak as they'd like in recent years - Coldplay flooded the field (and the site) with their Xylobands, Kanye West had his custom lighting rig, U2 brought in a comprehensive screen setup (reportedly, at their own expense) and there's probably many others I'm not even aware of. U2 also brought in all their own film crew including Camera operators and a Director to replace the in house BBC team - arguably resulting in a worse end result.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm gonna wager you and I have different views on who is 'sticking around' if you reckon Katy Perry is still worth mentioning. She's definitely been bigger and would be unlikely to get the call from Glasto at this point.

I don't know, cba discussing this because Glastonbury has really had only one female pop headliner ever so it's useless discussing patterns. The only point I really want to make is that Taylor Swift is a god amongst mortals and would easily have you in fight.

55 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I don't know, cba discussing this because Glastonbury has really had only one female pop headliner ever so it's useless discussing patterns. The only point I really want to make is that Taylor Swift is a god amongst mortals and would easily have you in fight.

Which one is that, Beyonce or Adele?

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

She'd 100% be offered a headline slot if she played, but being one of the most bankable stars in the world who's not British (and so doesn't have any ties to the festival at all other than her little ginger mate possibly bringing it up every once in a while) I don't see what it'd do for her. Put her back in the spotlight? She's never out of it. Increase album sales? She has no trouble shifting those these days. Unless she really wants to do it (which I doubt - she hasn't done festivals for years has she? At least not festivals in the Glastonbury sense) then it ain't gonna happen (and as has been mentioned, if her album's out this year then she's gonna hit the fallow year with her tour anyway).

I'm unsure Glastonbury would look at her the same way of others, even compared to Ed she has a lot of younger fans. I'll rephrase, she'd need to be offered headline but I don't think Glasto would offer her above sub which is why it wouldn't happen I doubt.

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Thru maturing and successfully reinventing at every step. Risky and arguably impossible in this day and age.

That's exactly what Taylor Swift has done through her career, though. Maybe not as extreme as Madonna's reinventions, but the controversy emanating from her 'oldest fans' regarding the sound she went for on 1989 wasn't for no reason. I do agree with you she's unlikely to stay at the level she's been at for the last two albums for much longer, but if she does indeed start to decline now it'll be because of the numerous PR boo-boos in the last 18 months disillusioning people, as much as anything else.

Edited by Zac Quinn