Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FrancisH said:

Yeah really get this - probably seen them more than any other band, was a huge fan back in the day but their new stuff has just been so cheese stadium 'dad rock'.

Managed to see them play as the holy shits, playing all old and barely ever played songs and it was incredible - if they did that they'd definitely get me to the Pyramid!... But it'd never happen at Glasto though. Setlist will be 100% cheese ballads.

Speaking as a dad what rocks, I'd love Foos to play. I've never seen them but like enough of their stuff to warrant my first Pyramid headliner since Metallica. 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Speaking as a dad what rocks, I'd love Foos to play. I've never seen them but like enough of their stuff to warrant my first Pyramid headliner since Metallica. 

Seen them a couple of time Gnome and they do put on a decent show.  Once at V97 so had no option but early stuff, and again at Wembley Stadium (although that didn't really count as I was stuck up in the rafters on a mate's ticket).

They've got two things that are pretty important to me for a big gig.  Grohl always looks like he wants to be there, and the whole band look like they're having a blast.

Another in the category of one I'd happily go and see, but equally wouldn't be tearing my hair out if there was a clash with something else I wanted to watch.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Seen them a couple of time Gnome and they do put on a decent show.  Once at V97 so had no option but early stuff, and again at Wembley Stadium (although that didn't really count as I was stuck up in the rafters on a mate's ticket).

They've got two things that are pretty important to me for a big gig.  Grohl always looks like he wants to be there, and the whole band look like they're having a blast.

Another in the category of one I'd happily go and see, but equally wouldn't be tearing my hair out if there was a clash with something else I wanted to watch.

Splendid. I'm looking forward to seeing him run around a lot.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Perfect scenario really after Radiohead. If the other two headliners fall in that category I'll be over the moon! 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Is there any evidence that the Foos are actually returning? Said before that they didn't just can Glastonbury, it was an entire European tour they pulled. If they were back next year they wouldn't risk pissing most of their European fanbase off by just doing GF and not rescheduling those other gigs and festivals.

it wasn't an entire European tour, it was 7 gigs at the end of a tour, 4 of which were in the UK, and the other 3 were just festivals (1 in Switzerland, 1 Netherlands and 1 in Germany).

fans would hardly be that pissed off, and certainly not "their entire European fanbase".

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Yeah don't get me wrong, they are pretty great live! Dave really gets the crowd going and by the end when they do the acoustic Everlong it'll feel like a pretty special moment to close Glastonbury on. Personally I just don't love the latest albums, no offence meant to dads everywhere.

Looking forward to some ‘Dave Grohl running around’ chat.

What sort of distance do we think he’ll cover during the set?

I’d be disappointed with anything less than 2.5km, but it’s only really a classic Foos gig if he breaks the 3km barrier. 

A lesser frontman would try to be a bit showy and just run around at the expense of doing anything else, but Grohl really gets the running around / playing tepid dadrock balance just right. 

He neither runs around too little or too much, and it’s this balance that really makes him the star that he is.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

When does the first Isle of White headliner usually drop? (if there is a pattern), interested to see if it is indeed the Roses.. or not

Not sure past form is going to be any indication in this case.

Normally they'd have had tickets on sale for a few months by now - but so far they're refusing to even confirm whether or not IOW is taking place next year and there's still a few reasons to think that it might not go ahead.

Can't really be arsed with Foo Fighters but I'll continue my trend of watching something amazing on the Other Stage on Sunday night whilst Bon Iver are bringing the house down (following on from Massive Attack, The Chemical Brothers and LCD Soundsystem (would also have been at the Other Stage in both 2013 and 2011)).

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Can't really be arsed with Foo Fighters but I'll continue my trend of watching something amazing on the Other Stage on Sunday night whilst Bon Iver are bringing the house down (following on from Massive Attack, The Chemical Brothers and LCD Soundsystem (would also have been at the Other Stage in both 2013 and 2011)).

Dave will be mortified.  I know he was banking on you being there Will ;)

23 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Looking forward to some ‘Dave Grohl running around’ chat.

What sort of distance do we think he’ll cover during the set?

I’d be disappointed with anything less than 2.5km, but it’s only really a classic Foos gig if he breaks the 3km barrier.

A lesser frontman would try to be a bit showy and just run around at the expense of doing anything else, but Grohl really gets the running around / playing tepid dadrock balance just right.

He neither runs around too little or too much, and it’s this balance that really makes him the star that he is.

Dave's in gig running will generate enough energy to power 54 minutes of Dedmau5's Other Stage show.

Immediate Foos rumours are just the same as the ones about the Roses in the past few weeks. Timing of news of their returns, popularity and 'unfinished business' all make them an obvious shout. But it's very likely that the charity show was a one off as there's been no subsequent news around them, it's been indicated by other sources that they're having 2017 off too and one of their band might even be touring as part of another band at the time so I don't think they're runner (heh) no. 1 now the Roses have dipped out.

Seen the Foo's in Sunderland last year just before Dave broke his leg. They were ok, nothing special just a bit 'meh'. So I wouldn't rush to see them at Glastonbury. Think they should get their headline moment though after having it taken away from them last year. I thought it would be in 2018/19 though. With the fallow now definitely in 2018 maybe they have had to change their slot to 2017. Can't help but think the Roses being greedy has had something to do with it too mind.