Weather 2016

Keithy

3 minutes ago, Sack truck said:

I honestly just want a dry time for Wed am for getting the tent up - doing it whilst getting soaked and all your stuff getting soaked is a pain  - anything after that is fine as booze and others quickly make you forget.

Ps Handy tip for the rain - make pre rolls and put them in an empty berocca tube, keeps them dry and stops them getting bent. I actually got stopped going into Stone roses gig at Heaton park - what's this? Oh just my vitamins. Carry on then......

The standard Glastonbury weather has tended to be: sunny Wednesday and Sundays, starts to rain Thursday/Friday with a mixed Saturday, so we've been lucky for setting up camp on the Wednesdays- hopefully our luck holds! 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my head on straight again.  Ish.  Given how a lot of us are feeling about the ugliness in the real world and the need to escape, even IF the heavens open and a galloping fucktonne of water floods the hell out of us - so what?  Really?  It'd push us all to the brink but in the end we'll be ok and dine out on it for years.  We have friends and friendly strangers, we have homes to return to. 

In conclusion, even if someone gave me a cast-iron guarantee that 30-odd mm of wet crap is absolutely going to ruin the site and stuff will get cancelled - I'm going anyway.  Tally ho!

5 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I have my head on straight again.  Ish.  Given how a lot of us are feeling about the ugliness in the real world and the need to escape, even IF the heavens open and a galloping fucktonne of water floods the hell out of us - so what?  Really?  It'd push us all to the brink but in the end we'll be ok and dine out on it for years.  We have friends and friendly strangers, we have homes to return to. 

In conclusion, even if someone gave me a cast-iron guarantee that 30-odd mm of wet crap is absolutely going to ruin the site and stuff will get cancelled - I'm going anyway.  Tally ho!

Fucking well said.

4 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

Yup. I want it to be beautiful and sunny, but if its 'biblical' I'll still be there.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm also pretty blasé this year about the prospect of wet weather - which makes a change.

Though ask me about that again if it does turn into a gruelling slog through the seven circles.

Yeah I'm the same really, probably because I already have my poncho/waterproofs sorted from previous years. I feel like I'm ready for it, although it won't be welcomed.

It would be shame if Weds and Thursday were wet, as it's always nice to sit on the hill before it all kicks off. Other than that, *shrugs*

What's all the fuss about?

There's two competing forecasts for the festival weekend. GFS looks like this for Thursday

Netweather GFS Image

ECMWF looks like this for Thursday:

Netweather GFS Image

The issue is the trough of low pressure in the GFS chart to the West of France which is not in the ECMWF forecast. It's not especially low pressure, but it is a trough. If this doesn't appear (as in the ECMWF) then we're in the clear. If it does, then it will be wet.

2 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

What's all the fuss about?

There's two competing forecasts for the festival weekend. GFS looks like this for Thursday

The issue is the trough of low pressure in the GFS chart to the West of France which is not in the ECMWF forecast. It's not especially low pressure, but it is a trough. If this doesn't appear (as in the ECMWF) then we're in the clear. If it does, then it will be wet.

Thanks, man.  I appreciate this sort of stuff.

I'm with you lot. If it rains, it rains. In fact, it probably will rain at some point over the weekend. But so what? It's Glastonbury - we're lucky to be going. And I've got a snazzy new yellow mackintosh that would love an outing!

(Obviously I still desperately want it to be really, really sunny!)