Weather 2016

Keithy

29 minutes ago, jparx said:

We're getting all the storms at the minute. Feel sorry for the Downloaders, but hopefully the weather is getting this out of its system for the end of the month!

Download picked a weekend that is traditionally more prone to rain.  I'm not sure of the truth of this, but I once read Michael Eavis state that Glastonbury weekend is statistically the driest week of the summer, according to farming almanacs.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Download picked a weekend that is traditionally more prone to rain.  I'm not sure of the truth of this, but I once read Michael Eavis state that Glastonbury weekend is statistically the driest week of the summer, according to farming almanacs.

I thought (may be wrong) but the end of June is considered the start or end (not sure which) of the European rainy season.

or something along those lines anyway...

1 hour ago, boredawn said:

It's just way waaaay too early to say. Squeaky bum time from maybe 18th/19th, but prior to that you'd be as well reading the bottom on yer tea cup for an answer.

I mind living the dream in 2010, checking obsessively until maybe the Monday beforehand when it became clear that it was going to be el - scorchio. Every forecast got better and better until I eventually become so cock sure of myself that I stopped checking. Those were the days. 

We all know its too early. I work in Air Traffic Control and the weather can be literally the deciding factor between me having a good day at work and a bad day. Becausee of that I pay close attention to the weather and I know for a fact that forecasts so far out from the festival are a waste of time. By all logical reason I should ignore all the speculation.

However, like touching a sore tooth, I still can't help checking this thread constantly. 

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

We all know its too early. I work in Air Traffic Control and the weather can be literally the deciding factor between me having a good day at work and a bad day. Becausee of that I pay close attention to the weather and I know for a fact that forecasts so far out from the festival are a waste of time. By all logical reason I should ignore all the speculation.

However, like touching a sore tooth, I still can't help checking this thread constantly. 

Would you like to give us your professional opinion on the current reports? 

I'd be interested even if you make it up

57 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Not that it necessarily means anything, but I went to Download from 2006-2010 and it only rained in 2010, and it wasn't that much. Perhaps the festival is angry at my lack of presence in recent years!

19 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I was just wondering that.  There were panting people in the unlikeliest of places trying to catch a tiny stripe of shade off fences.  I found a tiny bit of shade by cramming myself at a mad angle next to a rancid bin.

I remember going for a wander to Shangri La by myself on the Sunday in 2010 and finding a little shelter with air con. It could only fit about three people at a time but it was heavenly in the 30-degree heat. I stepped back in and out about 4 times so as not to hog it. I then made the trip back to the Pyramid stage to meet my friends in time for Faithless and Stevie Wonder. I was totally living the dream that day.

12 minutes ago, alibear said:

I remember going for a wander to Shangri La by myself on the Sunday in 2010 and finding a little shelter with air con. It could only fit about three people at a time but it was heavenly in the 30-degree heat. I stepped back in and out about 4 times so as not to hog it. I then made the trip back to the Pyramid stage to meet my friends in time for Faithless and Stevie Wonder. I was totally living the dream that day.

I think somewhere around the Glade there was a couple of topless girls working in a cafe who were standing on boxes and misting people with water sprays.

I might have been hallucinating from the heat.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep - isn't it tradition that a muddy Download is followed by a relatively dry Glastonbury, and vica versa?

I remember Download 2007 having amazing weather so you could be on to something! 

1 hour ago, Bubblecup said:

I think this is something The Thingy needs to look into, weather over the years at download and isle of wight Vs Glastonbury

Don't forget your #AHTT. Wouldn't want to upset The Thingy, especially this close to the festival...

8 hours ago, mario man said:

I thought that was IOW! What's it like down there 

Been glorious down here on the island for the past couple of weeks. It pretty much turned as soon as the festival started.

Currently pissing it down.