2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

that title track is an absolute stormer of a song. first few songs i was thinking 'yeah this is alright' and then that kicked in and your high praise all made sense

The way the drums and piano keep the beat going remind me of a steam engine train going at speed (:lol: no other way I can describe it).

Edited by EighteenSixty7

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Been relistening to Be today so think I'll give the new Common album a go tomorrow. 

I'll second big__phil's point about the production on Be: it's probably Kanye's best work.

Definitely, the peak of the soulful production that Kanye nailed at that time of his career. Will +1 tomorrow when I've got some left!

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/common-and-karriem-riggins-already-working-on-black-america-again-follow-up.html

Riggins handled all of the production on BAA alongside contributions from others. I hope they are working on another album together. Whether they capture a similar vibe and spirit I don't know but it's worth a go.

Edited by EighteenSixty7

13 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Gave the Palace album a spin on the way home this evening, not sure on it myself, decent enough jangly indie-pop, but not sure how much substance it has. Can see them being R1 indie darlings, big crowd on an afternoon JPT slot - reminded me a bit of Peace or Famy 

Quite possibly, but personally (and I accept this is heresy on these forums) I can live without substance!  Sometimes it's quite nice just to sit back and listen to something that makes pleasant noises in my ears :)

Longevity...we'll see.

54 minutes ago, Quark said:

Quite possibly, but personally (and I accept this is heresy on these forums) I can live without substance!  Sometimes it's quite nice just to sit back and listen to something that makes pleasant noises in my ears :)

Longevity...we'll see.

I can agree with that, I don't think it's an album that I will be going back to all that often, but in the right setting at Glastonbury I think it would work really well.

On 08/11/2016 at 2:54 PM, FloorFiller said:

that title track is an absolute stormer of a song. first few songs i was thinking 'yeah this is alright' and then that kicked in and your high praise all made sense

Wow. Never listened to Common before, not generally a fan of the rapping' music but.....wow. 

Passionate, eloquent, angry, soulful. And the title track is feckin amazing.

Great shout @EighteenSixty7

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Wow. Never listened to Common before, not generally a fan of the rapping' music but.....wow. 

Passionate, eloquent, angry, soulful. And the title track is feckin amazing.

Great shout @EighteenSixty7

:)

Listen to the rest of the album, if you haven't already!

Plus the albums mentioned in this thread - Be and Like Water For Chocolate.

Been away for a few days, but pleased to see a few new Common converts. For those of you just discovering him stick to Resurrection, Like Water For Chocolate and Be (ideally in that order). Those are the best three, although most fans aren't sure which is his very best work. Then after that go back and discover the rest. One Day It'll All Make Sense is also a good record, as is Electric Circus (although this one does split a lot of fans, as it's his most experimental).

I think I'm going to have to go on a binge...

(Oh, and if you want to sound like a mega-fan, say "he'll always be Common Sense to me") :P

Thought I'd recommend a band that some people might not have heard of that I assume will be at Glasto next year. Clean Cut Kid.

Have met them a few times as they have supported/toured with Declan Mckenna, the kid that won the glasto ETC in 2015, who is a family friend, in the past.

They are really top lads, make some good music and are great live. Saw them at Bestival this year on the new bands stage and were one of the best of the weekend. I am assuming that similarly to Dec they will be releasing their debut album in the new year but they have various good singles out there at the moment.

http://thequietus.com/articles/21297-listen-new-tinariwen

Second track from the new Tinarwien album streaming on The Quietus. Below is the first track for the new album in case anyone missed it, possibly one of the most beautiful music videos I've ever seen. Very excited for this release.

Edited by rhg_99