2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

1 hour ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

I would absolutely go see Justice but they are nowhere near big enough to headline Other, not even if the Other stage was situated somewhere in France. I also can't see them making Pyramid. If they play I don't think it would be any of the bigger stages unfortunately.

They are definitely a headline act, what stage that is is up for debate. I'd go WH, similar level to Hot Chip a couple of years ago. Saw them at Bestival a fair few years ago now and they headlined the big top on the Saturday I think (it was my first experience of performance enhancing drugs - so my memory might be a bit hazy).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Good actually. Really noisy and with some good songs, and the front man had a lot of charisma. They definitely deserve to get bigger. 

The crowd was wild too, which is remarkable for a london crowd! I was probably the oldest person there by 20 years...

Saw them as an unplanned, off list slot in a mostly empty Williams Green this year. Apart from a couple of slightly I'll-judged moments of self-indulgence, I thought they were bloody ace. Really good rocky songwriting, excellent, charismatic singing guitarist up front. Would very much like to see them again. They'd be good mid-arvo on Park. Think they'd be a bit lost on Other. 

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Justice are most certainly a WH/JP headliner and nothing else.

We'll have to see where other festivals book them. They might have been away long enough for festivals to make a big deal out of them coming back and kick them up a few places. I hope to catch them wherever they end up though.

As I'm here, might have gone under a few radars but Ed and Edd (lol) from the Friendly Fires have a new band called The Pattern Forms that released an album the other day. Haven't listened to it yet but the clips I've heard on Soundcloud suggest it's a more experimental electronic outfit. One imagines Friendly Fires are not of this plain anymore but they had a strong following at the start of this decade so thought I'd pipe up as they've got under 1k Facebook likes so I guess people aren't really aware.

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

As I'm here, might have gone under a few radars but Ed and Edd (lol) from the Friendly Fires have a new band called The Pattern Forms that released an album the other day. Haven't listened to it yet but the clips I've heard on Soundcloud suggest it's a more experimental electronic outfit. One imagines Friendly Fires are not of this plain anymore but they had a strong following at the start of this decade so thought I'd pipe up as they've got under 1k Facebook likes so I guess people aren't really aware.

The couple of tracks I've heard, but no where near as good as anything under Friendly Fires, a real shame they seem to have got bored with it/didn't have anything too add under that band name but I suppose you've got to applaud them for giving up rather than putting something shite out.

I think DIY done a piece about where Friendly Fires were at now (and for some reason mentioned Klaxon's James Righton's new project, which is similar electronic stuff)

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I was also surprised at how low-key this seemed to be... until I heard it. It's most definitely more in the 'side-project' than 'comeback' bracket.

I still hold hopes of a Friendly Fires return.

4 hours ago, mjsell said:

They are definitely a headline act, what stage that is is up for debate. I'd go WH, similar level to Hot Chip a couple of years ago. Saw them at Bestival a fair few years ago now and they headlined the big top on the Saturday I think (it was my first experience of performance enhancing drugs - so my memory might be a bit hazy).

Personally I could see Justice on Sonic a la Sub Focus 2013, certainly somewhere in Silver Hayes. Looking at their popularity (record sales) they are behind where Sub Focus were when they played that stage in 2013.

As I said I would go see them so I'm definitely not slating them but sales wise they've had no impact in the UK so far. Hopefully the new album does well.

7 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Malik ain't around no more so this tour would be a bit weird.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

can't see them touring without Phife, and they made a point of announcing their support stint for Kanye as their last ever shows

Forgot he died this year!

Fucks sake. I can't keep track of all these deaths. 

Fuck you God! Fuck YOU!

Edited by The Nal

51 minutes ago, The Nal said:

A couple of retro releases that interest me.

Sinatra box set. World on a String. Hours of never before released stuff.

And a couple of PiL re releases. Metal Box and Album. 

Was looking at the PiL stuff earlier this morning. Saying both are sold out for pre-order even though I only got the pre-order mailer this morning. Release date is 11th Nov but I thought they were both a bit pricey at £166 & £106.

Edit - oops just re-read the mail. Vinyl releases delayed until Dec 16th.

Edited by The_Amazing_Oblong