2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, zero000 said:

New Gaga. Absolute garbage IMO, she's well off the boil. Other than her Fame / Fame Monster purple patch has she ever really done anything that good?

gave her new album a quick listen this morning and nothing stood out to me as particularly great. was only half listening so can't comment properly but it doesn't sound like there's much on there to match those two albums you mentioned there

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

also probably eight years too late for many people to give a shit, but Black Kids (that band who wrote one of the best indie pop bangers of the 00's) have finally released a song from their second album

unfortunately not another masterstroke and just a bit crap really

Haha yeah I was ecstatic to see they were back but that didn't last long after I'd hit play. That would be shit even in the 00's.

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You mean Y Not?

:lol:

But nah those are the acts that survived so it's hard to call them landfill. I will not settle for less than people who have actually quit music and started teaching or work in a bank, digging out their neon tights and rejoining the band with whom they had one song with brief exposure for in March 2007. That's the dream.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But nah those are the acts that survived so it's hard to call them landfill. I will not settle for less than people who have actually quit music and started teaching or work in a bank, digging out their neon tights and rejoining the band with whom they had one song with brief exposure for in March 2007. That's the dream.

can we chuck The Caesars and The Bravery in for starters?

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

You'll have to allow suffcient time for most of the males of our generation to get fat and bald, it won't look tragic enough yet.

3 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You'll have to allow suffcient time for most of the males of our generation to get fat and bald, it won't look tragic enough yet.

True. I'll get to work on that.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

can we chuck The Caesars and The Bravery in for starters?

Of course. I remember The Bravery's beef with The Killers. Wrong kid died, god damn it!

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Clor are also a must.

I hated all these bands then, but give it another 10 years and the rose-tinted glasses might have changed all that.

I think you'll find they're rose tinted shutter shades.

On a new music via noughties note; the new record by Sam Dust (Late of the Pier) and Connan Mockasin is available. You probably have to be a fan of the wacky synth-pop but it's quite enjoyable.

EDIT: you didn't actually hate Clor did you? :(

Edited by dentalplan

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think you'll find they're rose tinted shutter shades.

On a new music via noughties note; the new record by Sam Dust (Late of the Pier) and Connan Mockasin is available. You probably have to be a fan of the wacky synth-pop but it's quite enjoyable.

EDIT: you didn't actually hate Clor did you? :(

I don't think I ever heard a note of them tbh, they were just recommended to me by a mate who convinced me to come along to watch this bunch of young upstarts who just might be this generation's The Smiths, and their name was.... I forget actually.... You remember, Marge? He used to drive that blue car?... (It was The Courteeners), so I reasoned they were probably shite. Late Of The Pier I had something of a soft spot for, because we saw a really good gig they did, possibly at Manchester's late great Moho. Although I bet if I listen to them now they'll be shite though.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

haven't listened to them in some time but i remember Late of the Pier being amazing. kind of scared to listen back to them now in case they're actually shit

Yeah don't do it. It's not worth it. Listen to Soft Hair or even La Priest's album from last year if you want some Dust in your ears.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

haven't listened to them in some time but i remember Late of the Pier being amazing. kind of scared to listen back to them now in case they're actually shit

Same. Very much the same. They were a great idea I don't want ruined by actually listening to them again. 

Any love for Sioux Falls and their debut album Rot Forever on this here forum? They've recently changed their name (ffs) to Strange Ranger (ffs!) and put out a new EP and I was about to post about that but realised the album hadn't been mentioned. If you like that Pacific Northwest kinda-emo indie and particularly early Modest Mouse then you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it. YouTube playlist of the full album here.