2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

9 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Robbie Williams - Pyramid Sub? 3rd Down?

Even after posting that bilge he is still a big name.

Ive only ever liked a few RW songs. "Strong" being the main one. 

This new one is a stinker.

I think he'd fit straight into the "not getting booked as a headliner / not going to accept anything lower" club.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

To me both this and Millenium just sound like him singing nonsense over a well known sample,

fair. I think millennium makes a pleasant enough noise if you don't worry about the lyrics; this one hurts my ears even at that level!

38 minutes ago, Mardy said:

All the Russians i've spoken to this week, none of them gave a fuck about it. Nobody is offended. There's a guardian article today trying to stir up a bit of controversy, but essentially it's a big bag of nuffin. It's a fairly dull witless song and banal video, devoid of any imagination, but nobody's going to start getting upset with RW about that now, are they? About 20 years too late for that.

He wasn't offended, just thought it was utter shite! :lol:

Anohni sounding like top 10 OTY kind of material (forum has broken me so I now automatically just think where it ranks when I listen to new music). Didn't know it had HudMo and Oneotrix Point Never producing! Great work from all comers.

Listening loads to Explosions In The Sky's Wilderness, really grown on me since release, found it a bit nondescript in the beginning, now appreciating it as yet another belting addition to one of the most consistent discographies of any band going.

We really aren't talking enough about how brilliant Good Luck And Do Your Best by Gold Panda is, unsung hero album of the year for me, lifts my spirits every time.

Polica's new one is another I wasn't bowled over by to begin with, but has really grown on me. I reckon they're the Super Mario of music; brilliant and new to begin with, then started pretty much sticking to a formula but always a thoroughly solid, satisfying and enjoyable experience. Just enough innovation and new ideas to make it a worthwhile release, and with unbeatable production quality. (I reckon this may well be the worst review of any album by anybody ever)

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

great news about the Japandroids album. hadn't heard of the supposed October release but i'm psyched now. really kinda thought they'd just silently broken up since their tour finished so i'm especially excited about this new album

Weeeeeell I think it was just an anonymous comment on a reddit thread saying "new album in October" etc. so 'rumour' might have been overplaying it but if it is in fact "very very soon" as the band have said then I think they mean that rather than next year and fingers crossed it's this month. Gonna bump that shit so hard when it lands.

New Sum 41 album out today, has this been brought up in the headliner thread yet?

On a serious note just finished KateTempest's new one, I really like it. Can see it getting a few more plays today, missed the middle as well as I had to run back home and grab my forgotten White Denim tickets. Fairly sure she'll be at the farm next year.

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Anohni sounding like top 10 OTY kind of material (forum has broken me so I now automatically just think where it ranks when I listen to new music). Didn't know it had HudMo and Oneotrix Point Never producing! Great work from all comers.

After a few listens I think you might bump that in to the top 5 - it really is a sensational record.

Got my arse into gear and listened to Glass Animals last night, and what a treat that record is! Shame I was a bit late and have missed their tour (well, local dates anyway), but hopefully they'll do a few more before the festival season. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun live.

19 minutes ago, big__phil said:

After a few listens I think you might bump that in to the top 5 - it really is a sensational record.

Got my arse into gear and listened to Glass Animals last night, and what a treat that record is! Shame I was a bit late and have missed their tour (well, local dates anyway), but hopefully they'll do a few more before the festival season. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun live.

Where are you based?  They are playing Brixton Academy next March. 

32 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Cheltenham. They are playing Oxford on the 21st Oct, but it's already sold out.

What day is the Brixton gig? Unless it's on a weekend, game over.

Ah it's a Thursday so won't work for you. Fingers crossed they'll be at the farm next year. 

3 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

The new White Lies is sounding good. Feels like a summer record to me though.

I really didn't get them until seeing them in the sun on the other stage a year or two back (2015?) so maybe that's just how I associate their sound.

Thanks for the heads up Tommy, knew it was due out soon but wasn't sure when. Know what I'll be listening to next!

Can someone recommend a few albums for me to listen to. I'm nursing a hangover at work and its going to be long afternoon if I have to talk to people too much.

Something along the sort of lines of Glass Animals' new one (which I've had on repeat for a while now) or Bon Ivers.

Thanking yous