2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup me too. When It Rain is one of the best things I've heard him do so if it's all like that it's gonna be:crazysmile:

It's getting tough to keep up with all the new stuff but it's nearly the time of year where the new albums stop and the Christmas present CD's come out so that's cool.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

New Solange album dropping on Friday. Looking forward to that! 

yep was starting to wonder whether it was ever coming. Losing You (and the EP it came from... but mostly Losing You) was ace. hoping for some more bangers of that calibre, although could easily see her going down the Blonde mid-tempo route for this album

45 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Really like the new Danny Brown one, more than I thought I would. Big shoes to fill naming it after a Joy Division song but I'm actually pretty impressed. Imagine he's decent live.

he was ace on the Park in 2014. one of my highlights of that year. would love to have him back

edit: especially as on his tour the show that's closest to me is a Warehouse Project which i can't be arsed going to. annoyed at that

Edited by FloorFiller

On 28/09/2016 at 7:13 PM, FloorFiller said:

first listen through of Atrocity Exhibition and it's ace! don't think it's quite as good as Old, which is one of my favourite hip hop albums of recent years, but it's still a great listen. Ain't It Funny stuck out as an immediate favourite 

I'm pretty blown away by it, personally. It's phenomenal. I did like Old a lot, and XXX was pretty good too, but I feel like he's stepped it up three or four levels on this one. And yeah, not wanting to be overly dramatic but Ain't It Funny really is jaw-to-the-floor stuff.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Looking forward to revisiting that, as it was certainly far from my favourite of his shows when I saw it in the flesh.

I saw it at battersea arts centre in the middle of the heatwave, was unbearable. People fainting etc. Pretty much impossible to concentrate on. It's a little too dense for me, one of his more experimental works when he'd slightly lost his way. Certainly not as strong as either his more theatrical stuff or his straight stand up. But you know, it's Kitson, what you going to do? Bump it in favour of a john bishop gig?

It certainly needed an interval or an edit - or both.  Though it's got that in common with a lot of his shows, up to and including Mouse.

The K-Dog noobs that we took along were certainly far from impressed, to the extent that they'll only accompany us to comedy now if we swear that it's nothing like Kitson.

Here's the title track from Boxed In's new album, which came out last week. Danceable and joyful

Saw them play at Glastonbury one and a half times this year.

I decided I'd been in front of the pyramid far too much this year, so eschewed Beck in favour of seeing Boxed In in my new favourite place the Crows Nest. It was wonderful, a couple of handfuls of people dancing with the gusto and joy that people have at Glastonbury. I was so so happy. I chatted with them after, lovely people. Then knowing it was all over soon, I just sat on one of the chairs there, just looking out over the festival, with a few tears in my eyes. 

But yeah, Boxed In are super.

23 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Going to get the M83 album, the singles are decent, fully expect the rest to be ropey to shite though. Gonzales' talent for amazing singles in amongst atrocious album tracks has been quite remarkable across the past few.

If you like the album you should enjoy the rest of it. I hated the singles, the album and it had even begun making me think "maybe it was gaudy nonsense all along" but checking them out at Glastonbury proper turned my head with it and yeah it's a decent jam. Did you not see them at Latitude or did they not play much off it?

On 30/09/2016 at 9:23 PM, dentalplan said:

I'm pretty blown away by it, personally. It's phenomenal. I did like Old a lot, and XXX was pretty good too, but I feel like he's stepped it up three or four levels on this one. And yeah, not wanting to be overly dramatic but Ain't It Funny really is jaw-to-the-floor stuff.

Jumping back to this; the way he rides the beat on White Lines is breathtaking. I am trapped inside this album now. Send help.

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

If you like the album you should enjoy the rest of it. I hated the singles, the album and it had even begun making me think "maybe it was gaudy nonsense all along" but checking them out at Glastonbury proper turned my head with it and yeah it's a decent jam. Did you not see them at Latitude or did they not play much off it?

They were alright at Latitude but not amazing. I chose them over Kero Kero Bonito on the grounds that Susanne Sundfor had played in London the day before, and is no stranger to Latitude, so she might join them for Oblivion. They played Oblivion but no Susanne, shame. Decent show, but being one of the last bands of the weekend, they were perhaps victims of that last day mindset where you've seen so many bands that it needs to be really good to hold your attention. Was similarly not particularly bothered about Minor Victories and Michael Kiwanuka the same day. The Jools set the other week is what's made me pay attention.

On 9/30/2016 at 6:04 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Starting to wonder whether the Rolling Stones are going to surprise release an album of blues covers in the near future......

looks like this is definitely happening then, although the fact that it's a covers album is pretty disappointing - was definitely hoping for at least one more album of original material before they packed it in. not to say that they couldn't still do that, but time is definitely running out, and i thought that's what they'd been working on

http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/96845

Edited by FloorFiller