2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

6 hours ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Had a day listening to a few albums suggested here that I'd missed/overlooked. Favourite so far is Explosions in the Sky - The Wilderness. Not sure how crowd friendly it is but as a personal listen it's a beautiful record.

Big fan, it's in my top 10 for this year. Took me a while to come around to it, but it's grown on me all year, and after seeing them turn in a really outstanding show made up mainly of tracks from it last night, I think it may be their best.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to listening to the 65daysofstatic soundtrack/album which was released a few months ago. Some of it is very good, but far too much ambient for my taste.

Got an email from The XX last night, and they are road testing some new material in Europe in Nov/Dec. Hopefully we'll see the new record not long after that, and a lovely Other Stage headline/Pyramid sub slot next year.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I found out about those dudes the other day as well. Pretty great stuff if yer into yer 70's songwriters and McCartney and stuff. Looking forward to the album.

actually discovered them as the album leaked this morning :P downloading it now

on a similar note, Foxygen seem to be hinting at new music. didn't think much of ...And Star Power, and they were dreadful when i saw them live at Primavera, but still one to watch as the album before was fantastic

26 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

on a similar note, Foxygen seem to be hinting at new music. didn't think much of ...And Star Power, and they were dreadful when i saw them live at Primavera, but still one to watch as the album before was fantastic

Ooh I hope it's good. No Destruction is a CHUNE, and a return to that sort of form would be most welcome.

In gig news Glass Animals have extended their tour to add more UK dates on in March. I'm all over this. Mitksi also hitting the road.

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

In gig news Glass Animals have extended their tour to add more UK dates on in March. I'm all over this. Mitksi also hitting the road.

i like that new Glass Animals album but the first song just stands out as being so much of a banger that i just find myself continuously going back to it mid-album

also hope Mitski is booked for the Park next year. Your Best American Girl is one of my songs of the year, and the album is fantastic too

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

actually discovered them as the album leaked this morning :P downloading it now

Jonathan Rado (Foxygen songwriter) actually produced the Lemon Twigs album and the Whitney album so I think he does still have his head screwed on.

Foxygen's live reviews varied wildly and as you say the last two albums were perfectly polished pop and a ninety-minute wig out so I guess they just revel on the knife edge between brilliance and bewilderment - so yeah hopefully the next one's a bit more grounded.

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

I love Glass Animals, saw them when they played the Park, hope they come back and play up on JP somewhere.  I've got them filed on a playlist called Balearic Indie,... it is sadly a short playlist :/

Saw Glass Animals at Bestival this year by complete accident - A girl we'd met said they were decent and so we went along with her- I'd heard of them and a couple of their songs at this point but not enough to have them on my list. I thought I'd watch for a bit then head off somewhere if I got bored.

Needless to say I didnt go anywhere else, they were fantastic (easily in my top 5 of the weekend), and I'm now completely hooked to their album (most played in the last month).

They had a really 'big' sound. I know that probably doesnt make sense but its so rare for a young band - they were playing quite a big slot when there was no main stage competition (Thursday night)  and I'm sure they made more fans than just me.

Edited by mjsell

On 10/11/2016 at 9:24 AM, big__phil said:

Finally got around to listening to the 65daysofstatic soundtrack/album which was released a few months ago. Some of it is very good, but far too much ambient for my taste.

I pre-ordered a signed LP of it, and it finally arrived this weekend. It's on its first spin now; definitely a speakers album (possibly because my stereo seems to make more electronic stuff really come alive, sounds like the trumpets of all the heralds in heaven). You've got to expect something different from a soundtrack than you'd get in a studio album, but I think this really delivers the goods for fans of their normal stuff if you're ready to accept the change in pace to to something less volatile. Gutted I was dumb enough to miss them play William's Green in 2013, but they turned in one of the best sets of the weekend at BlueDot this year and I reckon there's loads of places they could happily fit in on Glastonbury's higher stages or even the SE corner next year.

12 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I pre-ordered a signed LP of it, and it finally arrived this weekend. It's on its first spin now; definitely a speakers album (possibly because my stereo seems to make more electronic stuff really come alive, sounds like the trumpets of all the heralds in heaven). You've got to expect something different from a soundtrack than you'd get in a studio album, but I think this really delivers the goods for fans of their normal stuff if you're ready to accept the change in pace to to something less volatile. Gutted I was dumb enough to miss them play William's Green in 2013, but they turned in one of the best sets of the weekend at BlueDot this year and I reckon there's loads of places they could happily fit in on Glastonbury's higher stages or even the SE corner next year.

I've only listened to it once so far, and the bits where it is good are very good. Listening to it in chunks probably didn't help, next time I'll try and play it through in one go. Would love them to return to Pilton. Completely passed my by in 2013 (I don't think I knew a great deal about them then), but I'm sure if they played again they'd get a good slot on a decent stage. Perhaps even Glade..?

17 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

new Cloud Nothings album Life Without Sound out 27th January, and new song Modern Act right here. a lot more polished than their previous stuff which i'm sure will divide fans, but i think it's great

get em booked Eavi!

superb, this band has completely passed me by, despite knowing the name

Edited by fightoffyour

On 12/10/2016 at 0:02 PM, mjsell said:

Saw Glass Animals at Bestival this year by complete accident - A girl we'd met said they were decent and so we went along with her- I'd heard of them and a couple of their songs at this point but not enough to have them on my list. I thought I'd watch for a bit then head off somewhere if I got bored.

Needless to say I didnt go anywhere else, they were fantastic (easily in my top 5 of the weekend), and I'm now completely hooked to their album (most played in the last month).

They had a really 'big' sound. I know that probably doesnt make sense but its so rare for a young band - they were playing quite a big slot when there was no main stage competition (Thursday night)  and I'm sure they made more fans than just me.

Yeah I was quite similar when I saw them at Wilderness - I only knew Gooey but they absolutely smashed it on the main stage. Park is probs the ideal spot for them but since they did that last time I could see them being phenomenal on Other. 

I'll probably end up at their Bristol date - Bristol Academy is the worst venue but I am very keen to see them again now that I know their stuff and that slick new album is out.