2016 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, dentalplan said:

kk

January is shaping up. Japandroids album confirmed for 27th (same day as Cloud Nothings and Flaming Lips) and these guys the week before...

This BANGS, I'm well into this kind of upbeat baroque pop stuff. The older stuff of theirs I've heard doesn't wow me quite as much but I'm going to dl it and give a listen anyway.

Just now, Mash011 said:

This BANGS, I'm well into this kind of upbeat baroque pop stuff. The older stuff of theirs I've heard doesn't wow me quite as much but I'm going to dl it and give a listen anyway.

Just get We are the 21st etc.

In hindsight, Star Power is looking increasingly like a conscious fuck up of a follow-up-to-a-breakthrough and the earlier stuff is patchy, tho some songs shine thru.

Fun fact: Jonathan Rado (the songwriter, guitarist in vid) was in the first episode of Community.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just get We are the 21st etc.

In hindsight, Star Power is looking increasingly like a conscious fuck up of a follow-up-to-a-breakthrough and the earlier stuff is patchy, tho some songs shine thru.

Fun fact: Jonathan Rado (the songwriter, guitarist in vid) was in the first episode of Community.

Huh, that's... I would not have expected it to be the Dane Cook guy.

(3rd episode, though)

On 11/2/2016 at 8:15 PM, dentalplan said:

kk

January is shaping up. Japandroids album confirmed for 27th (same day as Cloud Nothings and Flaming Lips) and these guys the week before...

Never listened to Foxygen before, love this!  Strings and horns give it that late 70s/early 80s soul pop sort of vibe.  Great shout dental.

Edit: Add @FloorFiller's shout for Japandroids to that as well.  Downloading albums from both for listening later.

Good to see new stuff from Bonobo as well.  What stage would you put him on @Mezhyp1?

Edited by Quark

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Never listened to Foxygen before, love this!  Strings and horns give it that late 70s/early 80s soul pop sort of vibe.  Great shout dental.

Edit: Add @FloorFiller's shout for Japandroids to that as well.  Downloading albums from both for listening later.

Good to see new stuff from Bonobo as well.  What stage would you put him on @Mezhyp1?

Seems perfect for The Park headliner for me, i think he'd be wasted in JPT personally, but i don't think it's out of the question 

On 02/09/2016 at 9:08 AM, cb4747 said:

I don't know if anyone caught Palace playing both the John Peel & Rabbit Hole this year, they are a fab band and have their first album out 04/11, check them out if you get a chance! 

Picked up their album from a new music playlist this weekend, love it. Heartily recommended!

On 11/4/2016 at 9:07 PM, EighteenSixty7 said:

Common might just have dropped his best album since Be.

Superb so far.

Ooh, now that's got my attention. I did love Be, though the follow up was awful. I'll give it a bash next week.

Despite her playing this year, and being recommended by a few people on here who's opinion I respect, I've only just got round to listening to Anna Meredith's album. It's a cracker.

Enjoying the Fuzzy Logic remaster as well.

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Ooh, now that's got my attention. I did love Be, though the follow up was awful. I'll give it a bash next week.

Despite her playing this year, and being recommended by a few people on here who's opinion I respect, I've only just got round to listening to Anna Meredith's album. It's a cracker.

Enjoying the Fuzzy Logic remaster as well.

Its taken over my weekend listening. Its as though the LWFC/Be Common has come back. 

Amazing album so far. 

On 11/4/2016 at 9:07 PM, EighteenSixty7 said:

Common might just have dropped his best album since Be.

Superb so far.

11 hours ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Its taken over my weekend listening. Its as though the LWFC/Be Common has come back. 

Amazing album so far. 

You're saying all the right things here. All Common's output up to Be was fan-fucking-tastic, and then he totally dropped off after that. Will have to get on this new one.

For me Be is the best thing Kanye has ever worked on. Such a great record. So much warmth in the production.

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

You're saying all the right things here. All Common's output up to Be was fan-fucking-tastic, and then he totally dropped off after that. Will have to get on this new one.

For me Be is the best thing Kanye has ever worked on. Such a great record. So much warmth in the production.

Be really is an incredible record.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I could barely finish it. Sounded like bad Maccabees. :wacko:

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Really?  Fair enough.  You're wrong, but fair enough ;)

Hahaha, love this. To be honest 'bad maccabees' is still enough for me to give it a listen. 3 songs in, I get the comparison - but its still good so far.

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

Those first three tracks man, from the acoustic bass intro, to The Corner's sample hook, to Go's nursery rhyme chorus - top top stuff.