Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to ELO. Fits what I usually look for in a big act at Glastonbury, as it's someone I wouldn't go and see outside of a festival. 

I think the problem is, people are expecting an act the size of Dolly and Lionel, when realistically, we've never usually had acts of that calibre playing the legends slot. So this is back to around where I would expect the legends act to be in terms of size and stature.

25 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

Blimey never knew Stereophonics etc were this big

From 1972 to 1986, ELO accumulated twenty Top 20 songs on the UK Singles Chart, and fifteen Top 20 songs on the US Billboard Hot 100. The band also holds the record for having the most Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 hits, 20, of any group in US chart history without having a number one single.[6][7] However, the band did reach #1 on the Radio & Records chart with "Shine a Little Love" in 1979.[8][9]

ELO collected 19 CRIA, 21 RIAA and 38 BPI awards,[10][11] and sold over 50 million records worldwide during the group's original 13-year period of active recording and touring.  During 1979 Jeff Lynne also turned down an invitation for ELO to headline the August 1979 Knebworth Festival concerts. That allowed Led Zeppelin the chance to headline instead.

Also add in Jeff Lynns additional stuff. When they found the lost Beatles Tapes they asked Jeff to produce it. He was a member of the biggest supergroup ever!!!! FACT! The Travelling Willburys, members were, Jeff Lynn, Roy Orberson, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and George Harrison (He also produced their albums).

Basically there is no person more suitable for the LEGEND spot.

9 minutes ago, Beach Buggy Fan said:

Also add in Jeff Lynns additional stuff. When they found the lost Beatles Tapes they asked Jeff to produce it. He was a member of the biggest supergroup ever!!!! FACT! The Travelling Willburys, members were, Jeff Lynn, Roy Orberson, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and George Harrison (He also produced their albums).

Basically there is no person more suitable for the LEGEND spot.

He produced the two worst sounding Beatles songs ever. FACT! :P 

Just now, blue6field said:

Where would he fit in?

surley to big for an acoustic headliner?

as a second sunday legend, according to the article.

However, I read that article first thing this morning, and there's a different body to the article now to how it was. Before it was just some words, but it's suddenly turned into a load of quotes from "a source" ... which makes me d0oubt all of it.

It also says in the sub-head "already been booked", but none of the quotes say anything so solid.

I'm sure it's all complete and utter made-up bollocks. It's probably been put together as a result of some of the Barry Gibb speculation that's happened here.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/6921309/Legend-Barry-Gibb-will-perform-at-Glastonbury.html

29 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Well Emily and Glastonbury Festival have already confirmed that Jeff Lynne has the 4th down, Sunday Teatime slot.

I guess it's possible that Barry Gibb would play earlier in the day? Sort of like how Don McLean and Staus Quo have in previous years?

Yep, it's possible. As that article mentions they had both Neil Diamond and Leonard Cohen in the same year.

However, that article is still talking bollocks. It claims Gibb is booked in the sub-heading, but then quotes stuff which makes clear he's not booked.

There have certainly been a fair few acts in recent years who could be considered 'legends' who've played, but not in that time slot. BB King, Willie Nelson, Don McLean, Robert Plant, Burt Bacharach etc. So there's every chance of another big legendary name somewhere on the lineup. Personally I wouldn't be anywhere near it, but there are plenty of efesters keen to see Barry Gibb, so I'd be pleased for them if it does turn out to be true.