As Adele sang of her telationship with Thunderthumb:

"I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can't breathe
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own savior
When the Thunderthumb calls for me
Next time I'll be braver"

• 4 weeks later...

Went to see Jeff Lynne and ELO last night. I do know a lot of their tunes even though they were a bit before my time, but had no idea what the gig would be like - I've seen Jeff Lynne in TV interviews recently and always thought he looked a bit shakey. However, last nights gig was amazing in every way! I really do think this will prove to be a great booking. It's just a shame that it is in the middle of the day as the visuals and back drop only added to the gig. 

If you don't know them or only know Mr Blue Sky then I'd definitely recommend getting to know them between now and June. They're such an underrated band and a perfect choice for the legend slot in every way.

Also saw Jeff Lynne from off of Jeff Lynne's ELO last night.

On that evidence they'll make more than a decent fist of it, and just when you think The Jeffster is out of jams he pulls another one from out of his back pocket. Got a stack of smashers.

And the band were sounding great.

But, as an unassuming blokey bloke happy to let the music do the talking he lacks the charisma and personality of the other performers in the slot over the last few years.  The tone will be more similar to Paul Simon's set, bar the fact that he'll definitely give the crowd the tunes they'll want.  But it might be a bit "no nonsense" if you gravitate towards the more OTT performers.

I also dunno if Mr Blue Sky is *quite* the singalong that some people are expecting it to be, particular given the way it finishes up.  Don't Bring Me Down and Livin' Thing might land a bit better.

Long shot but would anybody like to buy my spare ticket for tomorrow night in Newcastle for £30?

I'd love to be able to offer for free like some do on here but alas I am a poor as fuck student and face value is £88.75 inc. fees.

If anyone does want it, just to warn you I've asked a couple of people I know if they're interested, too, so it would depend on whose response I see first. I will (as always) be checking here every minute anyway, though.

It's in block 215, btw.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Got the Greatest Hits on the turntable at the minute.

They were never my band, but after long old while even the stuff you kicked out against still becomes the soundtrack of your younger years.

Gonna be me and my wee bro at this with not a tap to be seen.

When I'm 50 I'll be front and centre at Catfish's Legend Slot set in Longleatbury, yelling at the kids about how we used to have proper music in our day before the ozone layer got melted, not this protospacejivecore shite they'll be listening to.