Sunday Legend 2016

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point you made a while back, CG, about the Legend Slot always being a highlight was a good one and swayed me towards the O of EL. I also enjoyed the set that was on the 'red button' a while back. And yet I fear Jeff doesn't have the chat to win over a crowd half of whom will know nothing more than Mr Blue Sky...

I'm currently on the fence - depends who else is on at the same time. I'm certainly not going to be cutting short big Kamasi's jazzers to get a good spot.

He doesn't have the chat, and there'll be way less of a "cult of personality" buzz about the performance and so a smaller crowd.

But for the folk who do rock up only knowing - or thinking they only know - just one song they'll be pleasantly surprised by how many belters my man has up his sleeve.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

He doesn't have the chat, and there'll be way less of a "cult of personality" buzz about the performance and so a smaller crowd.

But for the folk who do rock up only knowing - or thinking they only know - just one song they'll be pleasantly surprised by how many belters my man has up his sleeve.

Is he just doing ELO stuff or throwing in songs from the other bits and pieces he's done over his career?

I went to see Jeff last Friday. I'm a big fan (making me hugely bias of course!) but he/they were fucking amazing. While he's not going to pull in casuals like Dolly and Lionel and clearly doesn't have as many mainstream hits, I think they'll nail it on spectacle alone. Lush harmonies, a beautiful string section, uplifting tunes and Jeff's Brummy mutterings every now and again will mean they win the crowd over easy peasy!

Picture yourself.....sitting towards the back of the Pyramid feeling a little worse for wear. Then suddenly this happens!

8 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I went to see Jeff last Friday. I'm a big fan (making me hugely bias of course!) but he/they were fucking amazing. While he's not going to pull in casuals like Dolly and Lionel and clearly doesn't have as many mainstream hits, I think they'll nail it on spectacle alone. Lush harmonies, a beautiful string section, uplifting tunes and Jeff's Brummy mutterings every now and again will mean they win the crowd over easy peasy!

Picture yourself.....sitting towards the back of the Pyramid feeling a little worse for wear. Then suddenly this happens!

Wholeheartedly agree with all of this. I was at the opening night at the 02 and it was it was joyous from start to finish. The setlist is perfectly paced and as they hit that final run of 6 songs the Pyramid field will be dancing it's arse off. 

Not sure I follow why the Legend Slot has to have chat as Kenny, Dolly, Lionel et al were hardly the masters of that. Dolly was ok with the chat but only cos she mimed all the singing parts so had to bring something else to the show!

What Jeffrey-boy does have, however, is a back pocket full of bangers. The only thing going against this being the Legend-Slot-To-Beat-All-Legend-Slots is the fact it's in broad daylight. 

Disagree.  The three you mentioned brought a tonne of individuality and good old-fashioned showbusiness charm to their performances.

I dunno if he's quite as reliant on his lightshow as all that, but it's a group performance with Jeff more or less just another part of the ensemble.

Whether it matters or not, time will tell. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Disagree.  The three you mentioned brought a tonne of individuality and good old-fashioned showbusiness charm to their performances.

I dunno if he's quite as reliant on his lightshow as all that, but it's a group performance with Jeff more or less just another part of the ensemble.

Whether it matters or not, time will tell. 

A great performance is a great performance though no? Whether that stems from smashing up a guitar, giving the crowd lots of "hey how ya doin out there"s, just playing like a boss or a combination of all of the above. Jeff may not be massively charismatic but he's certainly charming and can bring the good!

33 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Am I missing something? What should I be listening to with ELO? Only really know the greatest hits and having listened to a mix of their setlist I'm thinking..... is that it?!

I once heard Samantha Cameron described as a person who looked like an attractive woman, but wasn't.  That's how I feel about ELO sounds.  They sound like good songs, but they don't remotely move me.  I can only guess that you also had a similar buried childhood trauma preventing you from appreciating their music. It's very odd, given that some people clearly love the band and are going to have a great time, but they seem to do nothing for others.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Am I missing something? What should I be listening to with ELO? Only really know the greatest hits and having listened to a mix of their setlist I'm thinking..... is that it?!

If the greatest hits don't do it for you then...well they may just not be your bag. If you're at a loose end on Sunday afternoon then I'd still check em out though :)

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's very odd, given that some people clearly love the band and are going to have a great time, but they seem to do nothing for others.

Doesn't that sum up just about every band under the sun? :lol:

They're music isn't the most emotive of all time, although you'd have to have a hard heart not to be moved just a little by Telephone Line, but they do bring a joyous good time. Of course, you'll enjoy it more if you know and like their music.

Just now, elias said:

Doesn't that sum up just about every band under the sun? :lol:

They're music isn't the most emotive of all time, although you'd have to have a hard heart not to be moved just a little by Telephone Line, but they do bring a joyous good time. Of course, you'll enjoy it more if you know and like their music.

We can certainly agree on that one! :lol:

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It'll be a good performance, I don't doubt. 

What's up for debate is whether it'll be a 4th headliner-esque tour de force that manages to upstage the actual headliners.

Upstaging these headliners won't be hard.  Rastamouse could do it.

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Is the Day in the Life tune their best?

Oh hang on, I like Evil Woman.

I love ELO and always have as they were one of my Dad's favourite bands when I was growing up.  Best tracks IMO are Evil Woman, Telephone Line, Living Thing and Turn To Stone.

Edited by 4AssedMonkey

1 minute ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Upstaging these headliners won't be hard.  Rastamouse could do it.

I love ELO and aslways have as they were one of my Dad's favourite bands when I was growing up.  Best tracks IMO are Evil Woman, Telephone Line, Living Thing and Turn To Stone.

Don't Bring Me Down and Sweet Talking Woman are also belters!

.....oh and All Over The World.

2 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Don't Bring Me Down and Sweet Talking Woman are also belters!

.....oh and All Over The World.

Agreed.  Very few weak tracks in the entire back catalogue to be fair, apart from Horace Wimp, which tried to be Day in the Life and failed spectacularly.