The Libertines - why did they not announce it, ridiculous

Collide

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it hadn't been for the courteeners clash id have given myself the surprise and not looked at my phone all day. I just didn't want to miss my potential highlight of the weekend after foos pulled out to find someone like Foals or Bastille stroll onto the stage.

So thank you to efestivals for giving me that certainty to make the decisions on the day! One of my favourite Glastonbury moments and probably one of my favourite gigs ever

Edited by efcfanwirral

It was bloody great. I had a little tear in my eye once or twice ('Can't stand me now' and 'Time for Heroes')

Watching back, musically it ws no great shakes, but the atmosphere was great, and the setting was perfect. A band I love to pieces, that I've never seen before, on the Pyramid, just as the sun was going down on a beautiful summer evening? man, I could eat that up all day long.

It was bloody great. I had a little tear in my eye once or twice ('Can't stand me now' and 'Time for Heroes')

Watching back, musically it ws no great shakes, but the atmosphere was great, and the setting was perfect. A band I love to pieces, that I've never seen before, on the Pyramid, just as the sun was going down on a beautiful summer evening? man, I could eat that up all day long.

musically great for me, ragged as anything but still sounded great..what they are all about...dunno if there sound was getting fucked up tho..kept singing into dead mics..

The group of lads were actually us ... stood just in the two sound booths ..... when the theme tune of we'll meet again started and the curtain came down i can honestly say it was one of my best glastonbury moments (this was my 8th) ever ..... i loved the fact we were not 100% who it was .. and i would be gutted if we had missed it .... sad dave broke his leg .... but thank god he did otherwise id have lost that moment .... cant wait for next year

To my shame I've never really listened to the Liberines, but 'knew' it was them so went along to see what the fuss was about lol

Stood between the two sound booths - the group of mid 20s guys beside us had been 'dragged' along with see Taylor Swift and nearly self combusted when they found out and then confirmed it was the Libs

I thought they were excellent and made even more brilliant by the group of lads being word perfect to every song, thoroughly having a moment between themselves ... every young lads dream by the looks of them

I am now converted - and no longer can I diss the Libs !

You're welcome. Did they fit onto the SMS ok? I was most worried about those, because I didn't want to miss any, but didn't want to eat through ppl's quotas with tweets about bands who were playing an appropriately sized venue (I.e. nobodies!) You might have noticed I on the first day, I only tweeted the highlights on the Crow's Nest, with one band per tweet, but switched to the two part format after that.

Yours were much more concise, TCNs didn't fit into 1 sms

The group of lads were actually us ... stood just in the two sound booths ..... when the theme tune of we'll meet again started and the curtain came down i can honestly say it was one of my best glastonbury moments (this was my 8th) ever ..... i loved the fact we were not 100% who it was .. and i would be gutted if we had missed it .... sad dave broke his leg .... but thank god he did otherwise id have lost that moment .... cant wait for next year

You... you expected Taylor Swift, and then when you found out it wasn't her, that was one of your "best Glastonbury moments (this was your 8th year) ever"!? I have to say, I'm incredulous, I do not understand you, sir, not at all.

If this Libs album is a big one then it's not that big a stretch to suggest they could headline, if not next year then 2017. 

after subbing this year, even under the special circumstances, i doubt it. i've no doubt the album will be successful, but making them bigger than they currently are? seems unlikely

after subbing this year, even under the special circumstances, i doubt it. i've no doubt the album will be successful, but making them bigger than they currently are? seems unlikely

I wouldn't say it's that unlikely. There's a lot of people who know who they are but who don't know that much of them apart from a couple of songs, so a successful album could win over quite a few fans - there's a fair few reports on here of their Pyramid set doing just that. Not to mention it's been 11 years since their last album release, meaning there's a whole load of music fans in their mid twenties and younger who were probably a bit young for them last time round who could easily get into them. Granted, a fair few of them will have retrospectively got into them but plenty wouldn't have. 

Does depend a lot on just how successful this album is, but they're going to be a lot more smart and together than they would have been before I would have thought. Though this would probably dampen their appeal a bit in some regards...

I imagine the new album is gonna be fantastic but the fact they played this year rules them out in my mind.

Lots of mixed stuff about the foos btw, seems we've got people saying "I've had info they are definitely doing it" and "info they aren't". So it'l be interesting to see what pans out.