The Libertines - why did they not announce it, ridiculous

Collide

Who else was being mentioned?

I had spoken to someone outside of the festival on the Wednesday night who works for a major guitar/amp company, he's got plenty of contacts, he had told me Kanye West in advance of the announcement, and he was absolutely certain it was The Libertines, he wouldn't tell me how he could be so certain, but I was willing to go with it

But I couldn't believe the uncertainty in the crowd, it certainly captured the imagination of the mass of the crowd anyway

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my shame I've never really listened to the Liberines, but 'knew' it was them so went along to see what the fuss was about lol

Stood between the two sound booths - the group of mid 20s guys beside us had been 'dragged' along with see Taylor Swift and nearly self combusted when they found out and then confirmed it was the Libs

I thought they were excellent and made even more brilliant by the group of lads being word perfect to every song, thoroughly having a moment between themselves ... every young lads dream by the looks of them

I am now converted - and no longer can I diss the Libs !

I loved the fact we didn't know - I heard Blur or Libertines all day and was buzzing with excitement when I got closer to the pyramid and heard Can't Stand Me Now

The only problem for me was them coming on early? Got to the Pyramid stage for the time they were scheduled to come on (according to the screens anyway) and I seemed to have missed a chunk of their set

also I'll echo the kudos to Glastonbury for keeping it secret - stewards near Arcadia said only five people on site knew who it was on Friday morning

Edited by stimo

Who else was being mentioned?

taylor swift, Beck, even Rihanna. Probably others too, I forget.

I had spoken to someone outside of the festival on the Wednesday night who works for a major guitar/amp company, he's got plenty of contacts, he had told me Kanye West in advance of the announcement, and he was absolutely certain it was The Libertines, he wouldn't tell me how he could be so certain, but I was willing to go with it

you keep saying you get this good stuff but you never share it. ;)

But anyway, I don't doubt a few people really knew as i said above, tho it was kept incrediably tight in a way nothing ever is in festie-land. It wasn't something that was 'going around' the day before in any of the normal circles.

There's a tour coming 

GET IN!

I was utterly made up when I realised it was The Libs.  I'd heard a few rumours but couldn't quite allow myself to believe it was them as I've wanted to see them since forever. 

If there's now a tour on the cards I will be there with bells on.

I wasn't there.  I was responding on behalf of Collide, who was presumably not going to trawl his kid around the site on the off-chance that he might like the band.  I do take your point though, but if Collide had no idea it was the Libs, then I can imagine how it would be annoying.  I can see why he wouldn't have considered it - I was running the @SecretGlasto account and I didn't know until a few hours before.  I'd heard a LOT of different rumours, about a lot of bands, but it was very late on that the Libertines became the front runner (and eventually confirmed).  I certainly didn't think it was them when I woke up on Friday morning.

Hey StuartBert, Just wanted to say thanks for running the @secretglasto account! I had it set up to get text alerts through and got to see a few extra bands I wanted to see.  The best thing was the Dalai Lama at the Stone Circle Sunday morning. I've done a lot of travelling and been to Tibet so to see him speak close up was really incredible so thanks for the Sunday morning alert! Luckily I was awake! Just.

But anyway, I don't doubt a few people really knew as i said above, tho it was kept incrediably tight in a way nothing ever is in festie-land. It wasn't something that was 'going around' the day before in any of the normal circles.

Im sure I shared anything I knew about Kanye West at the time, I had a couple of bets on him headlining prior to it being announced, which I had said, but as with the libertines, I wasn't wanting to stick my neck out on someone else's word who had only been correct once incase it was wrong, and then I looked stupid

Anyway, you were happy enough to share it with us all, and Stuart got it out to the masses, so it was well enough know before it happened

I never really got into the Libertines until last year and I took a punt on the greatest hits album for 1p on amazon.   Once I heard the rumours it was them I was straight there, did not know many words to the songs but It one of my top 3 moments at this years Glasto

taylor swift, Beck, even Rihanna. Probably others too, I forget.

And Foals and The Strokes.

saw the thread on here, the one with the photo of albion in the running order, and confidently started telling the rest of the gang. then one of the girls saw a sticker in one of the loos stating it was black eye peas and i was shitting myself until the backdrop came down

Got to see them front row! It was the best shit ever! I was not expecting much for that "secret slot" in the Pyramid Stage, I thought they would use some of the acts already booked or a minor artist, 5 minutes before we still didnt know who was playing, until they starte to unveil their name! It was awesome!!! 
(I would also hate if I dont get to see a band I love due to secret), but I have to admit it was an AWESOME feeling, to see their name unveiled just right before their set started.