The Libertines - why did they not announce it, ridiculous

Collide

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who missed them only had themselves to blame, you made the choice to see someone else over an unknown act that you knew had to be a crowd pleasing replacement. If you were bothered about missing something good you should have either made an effort to find out who was playing or gone to the pyramid to see for yourself (as I did). If it had been someone I didn't like i'd have gone elsewhere, as it happened it was a good move by the festival, a better than expected booking.

Anyone who missed them only had themselves to blame, you made the choice to see someone else over an unknown act that you knew had to be a crowd pleasing replacement.

:lol: How did we know that? All sorts of names were banded about which wouldn't have pleased the crowd. Glastonbury, as much as I hate to say it, also has a pretty crap record when it comes to TBA sets. Didn't want to risk waiting for someone I thought would be a disappointment, so went off and did my own thing, no regrets that way. Had many in the past chasing secret sets which never materialise. 

The thought that is was going to be someone of the Libertines' calibre and quality would have been a naive one until it actually happened. For those of us who can't access social media at the fest anyway. 

Edited by GlastoSimon

Someone told me that it came up in the ME Q+A session.  The story I was told was that they paid the headliner fee to the libs, flo got paid the same and the agreement was that they couldn't close the stage or be announced ahead of playing because of the exclusivity thing.

Read on here at around 2pm that they were going to playing. The gig itself was a bit of s let down. The Libertines themselves were fine, but there was absolutely no energy or atmosphere from the crowd which killed it IMO.

I put it down to people being part of the NME hype love in of the Libertines, and feeling that it's their obligation to love the Libertines, my mates, love them to bit, but they were literally running round celebrating when i told them, yet were completely confused by 'Albion', and didn't have a clue about any of the songs except Don't Look Back, and I Get Along. Whilst i am definitely not condoning fans going along and not knowing songs, then double ended coin of a secret set is, fans would go purely out of curiosity as they know a few songs, whereas had they been announced, i'm sure people would have done their research and duly boosted the atmosphere.

I personally thought it was awesome!

In regards to the Albion, i was surprised at how many people didn't actually know that this basically confirmed The Libertines. There was a picture doing the rounds of fb, with the sound check bands, in order on the Pyramid, and alot of people were like 'What does Albion mean', maybe they aren't as big as I thought, and perhaps thats why some people were disappointed that the atmosphere was a bit flat.

I personally thought it was awesome! Everyone around me were having a ball!

I think most Libertines fans are completely deluded as to how big or important they are.

I was never much of a fan but they were OK in the end.  Not brilliant though. I also knew more of their songs than I thought I did.

I think most Libertines fans are completely deluded as to how big or important they are.

I was never much of a fan but they were OK in the end. Not brilliant though. I also knew more of their songs than I thought I did.

As previously mentioned, libertines fans would have found that pretty much perfect, seemed a great atmosphere where I was, great fun and tunes I love... I wouldn't say we're deluded, they're headlining R&L and T this year

This led to a funny moment for me - thanks to Twitter and @secretglasto I'd clocked that morning it was likely to be them, which left me free to see other things, one of which was the Courteeners (becoming something of a Glastonbury house band with frequency of their visits, but superb as ever).

I was standing next to some lads, who looked in their early twenties. They struck up a conversation with people around them, who mentioned the Libertines rumour. The original lads loudly dismissed this as classic Glastonbiry bullshit, referencing the constant and stupor Daft Punk rumours of 2014. I decided not to tell them that I thought it was legit. A little while later a mate of their's text from the Pyramid to say the Libertines were on - fair to say they were a little shocked. As they left to run across I said: "That's the thing with bullshit Glastonbury rumours; sometimes they're true.

I understand why it wasn't announced but do think it was a shame for Libertines fans who were on site and didn't know about their set. And also because it meant that the atmosphere wasn't as good as it could have been, given that a large proportion of the crowd weren't there go see the Libertines.

I had no idea the Libertines playing was even a possibility until Friday, when I started getting texts and FB messages from friends not at the festival. I don't go to Glastonbury for the music ( only saw 2 bands this year) but would have been genuinely upset if I had missed seeing the Libertines on the pyramid stage, because it was special.

Well when I heard about the rumour I went over to the Pyramid to ask anyone round their and all I got was blank faces and one of the security said they heard it was kiss! I went because of the libs reunion as they're my favourite band and when I seen the guitars being tuned I knew straight away then the back drop reveal was really special

Well when I heard about the rumour I went over to the Pyramid to ask anyone round their and all I got was blank faces and one of the security said they heard it was kiss! I went because of the libs reunion as they're my favourite band and when I seen the guitars being tuned I knew straight away then the back drop reveal was really special

Agree when that back drop went up and they started playing Vera Lynn it made me so emotional even though id known for a couple hours before it was 99% them! 

it was on the app wasn't it?    We'd heard on friday it was the libertines, but I like the fact they don't announce more widely.

Yeah its a shame for those that missed out, but again you didn't buy a ticket knowing they were playing, so its not the fault of the festival that you missed them.

I always make a point of seeing a TBA when i can.

We got wind on the Friday right after Mary J Blige. I had a text during Sharon Van Etten from some smart arse at home who thought texting "Oh my God, I can't believe Taylor Swift is on the Pyramid, this is AMAZING!" would be funny. If she hadn't been beaten to the punch by some of the ladsladslads texting me with "Tell me ur goin Libs lad. Don't be a bender lad, who the fuck is Sharon Van Etten?" (I paraphrase) then I was probably drunk enough to have believed it, thrown the mother of all strops right in the middle of Sharon's set and sprinted off down to the Pyramid.

We got wind on the Friday right after Mary J Blige. I had a text during Sharon Van Etten from some smart arse at home who thought texting "Oh my God, I can't believe Taylor Swift is on the Pyramid, this is AMAZING!" would be funny. If she hadn't been beaten to the punch by some of the ladsladslads texting me with "Tell me ur goin Libs lad. Don't be a bender lad, who the fuck is Sharon Van Etten?" (I paraphrase) then I was probably drunk enough to have believed it, thrown the mother of all strops right in the middle of Sharon's set and sprinted off down to the Pyramid.

There was some talk of Taylor in fairness, but it was mainly she was there with Calvin Harris