The Libertines - why did they not announce it, ridiculous

Collide

RTJ into Libs is something I'll remember for a very long time...

Libertines leading into my first ever Super Furries set was magical. The fact Cribs played Be Safe during their set as well was amazing given it's my favourite song by anyone, ever. Friday was altogether rather magical to be honest.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tweeted it at about midday on Friday, after getting the info from one of our regular sources.

In the next hour I was sat next to two different groups who I overheard say "it's the Libertines, eFestivals said so it must be right". :)

I'd heard a couple of time during the day that it might be them, then some guys at Frank Turner in Strummerville said they had had a tweet from efestivals and it was definitely on

Our group was up on the hill by the right speaker, by the well. We were going absotuley mad for the Libs. Moshing, singing our hearts out. A friend had filmed it and stuck in on facebook yesterday....

What a bunch of twats we looked haha.

Literally no1 moving around us, were shouting every lyric and riff. and the people around us just looking on confused

I thought it was very much common knowledge really quite early on Friday morning, I had first been told for certain on the Wednesday night and then it was all but confirmed on here Friday morning, couldn't believe there was people who didn't know it was going to be them

Did you follow @SecretGlasto and use the SMS Notifications?  Not saying you should have, just curious if you did and it didn't get you the info in time.

I tried this but didn't get any messages for some reason.  Will give it another go next year, but not sure what I did wrong.  Friend had the same problem.

Libertines leading into my first ever Super Furries set was magical. The fact Cribs played Be Safe during their set as well was amazing given it's my favourite song by anyone, ever. Friday was altogether rather magical to be honest.

Yes it was. My best ever day at a festival and the last minute Foo problems meant the lineup spread itself out brilliantly for me. It says a lot that the Charlies (one of my favourite bands of all time) was the lowest point of the day for me but King Gizzard, The Districts, Wolf Alice, Motorhead, Libertines, a bit of Flo and then the brilliant SFA set made it a perfect day. 

Back on topic, everyone I saw and spoke to knew it was the Libs, people were texting me from outside the fest telling me it the Libs and it was all over the main media sites and the band itself even put clues out so if you missed out I have little to no sympathy because that spot had more attention on it than any other Pyramid slot ever. If you were that desperate for them to play surely you would have at least have been curious who was in that slot? And if you weren't arsed and already had plans then you surely enjoyed yourself regardless of whether you were at the Pyramid stage or not?

Yes it was. My best ever day at a festival and the last minute Foo problems meant the lineup spread itself out brilliantly for me. It says a lot that the Charlies (one of my favourite bands of all time) was the lowest point of the day for me but King Gizzard, The Districts, Wolf Alice, Motorhead, Libertines, a bit of Flo and then the brilliant SFA set made it a perfect day. 

Back on topic, everyone I saw and spoke to knew it was the Libs, people were texting me from outside the fest telling me it the Libs and it was all over the main media sites and the band itself even put clues out so if you missed out I have little to no sympathy because that spot had more attention on it than any other Pyramid slot ever. If you were that desperate for them to play surely you would have at least have been curious who was in that slot? And if you weren't arsed and already had plans then you surely enjoyed yourself regardless of whether you were at the Pyramid stage or not?

I got everyone at home looking to confirm it was Libs once I'd heard the rumour on site. The slot obviously clashed with The Courteeners who I was very much looking forward to seeing, so I wanted to be 100% sure it was them before rocking up. The roar in our little section when I saw Neil's 'another one nailed by efestivals' post was a great moment.

Out of interest, who were people hoping it would be? Before getting the Libs rumour I had ruled them out as I knew they were in Russia on the Saturday, so we were praying for Strokes/Beck, who we had seen at Hyde Park the week before, knowing they were about, had a show prepared and would be perfect for the slot.

Still can't get over the fact Libs played after all to be honest!

Got a text from secret Glasto about 12.30, then proceded to tell everyone I passed in the next few hours, met with a lot of 'yeah right no fucking way' comments, had to show so many people the text so they would believe me!! Hope they did otherwise they'd be kicking themselves!

Thanks again Stuart, your updates kept us well informed, and thank god you tweeted the Crows Nest stuff, I had to unfollow them because their retweets were becoming unbearable, and IFTTT emailed to say I'd nearly gone over my quota of 100 sms this month!!

Edited by verrymerry

Thanks again Stuart, your updates kept us well informed, and thank god you tweeted the Crows Nest stuff, I had to unfollow them because their retweets were becoming unbearable, and IFTTT emailed to say I'd nearly gone over my quota of 100 sms this month!!

You're welcome.  Did they fit onto the SMS ok?  I was most worried about those, because I didn't want to miss any, but didn't want to eat through ppl's quotas with tweets about bands who were playing an appropriately sized venue (I.e. nobodies!)  You might have noticed I on the first day, I only tweeted the highlights on the Crow's Nest, with one band per tweet, but switched to the two part format after that.

it's not fifteen years ago and Sharon is brilliant now.

I do believe you've quite succinctly made contact with the head of the proverbial nail there. I was accused of being a hipster by my group for choosing Sharon over the Libs, then I found them pottering about in William's Green after my pit stop at Caribou, they'd decided the Libs were rubbish and I was right. I took them back to the Pyramid field, to do a mental dance in a muddy puddle to Don't Look Back Into The Sun as the sun was setting. I felt very chuffed that evening, I think nobody has ever Glastonburyed as well as I did that Friday.

I understand why they couldn't announce it before hand, but surely they could announce it on the day, Melvin Benn is being a tosser if he insisted on that.

Poor Melvin, it's no wonder he lies about exclusives, when the ones he does get go off to Glastonbury behind his back.

I thought it was very much common knowledge really quite early on Friday morning, I had first been told for certain on the Wednesday night and then it was all but confirmed on here Friday morning, couldn't believe there was people who didn't know it was going to be them

Nah, it seemed to be kept pretty secret, it was quite clear from the crowd that a lot of people had no idea who to expect.

I overheard about 3 or 4 different groups of people say it was going to be The Libertines between midday to mid-afternoon - didn't hear where they'd got that information and none of us had the internet on our phones to check efestivals. It was only by the 3rd time I overheard it and that I'd heard no other rumour whatsoever that I started to really pay attention, and if I hadn't text my mate in hospitality to go and find out (he confirmed it was The Libertines at about 6pm for me), I'd have probably just gone and seen Run the Jewels instead.

Was great to see anyway. Remembered all the words to their songs :) and was a nice surprise to hear them play You're My Waterloo. Will say that of the two new songs, one sounded alright but the other sounded absolutely terrible though.  

I'd heard it was them but because it wasn't official I went down hoping it was wrong. Once I got within earshot I turned back around. I was quite annoyed because I could have seen Sharon van eaten. I can't see any reason why it couldn't have been announced officially so people could make an informed decision.

I'd heard it was them but because it wasn't official I went down hoping it was wrong. Once I got within earshot I turned back around. I was quite annoyed because I could have seen Sharon van eaten. I can't see any reason why it couldn't have been announced officially so people could make an informed decision.

Who were you expecting/hoping for instead?

to be fair I thought it was great that Glastonbury manage to keep the secret until so close to them appearing onstage / the backdrop being unfurled.

although, let's be honest their songs haven't aged that well...definitely a band  (and I loved them when they started) of their time, but decade plus later..tunes aren't there, they kinda get away with it as Doherty and carl look and act like rockstars (carl looking more like joe strummer than anything else) , but only a few peaks in their set...no way are they a headline act at a festival any more imho but Glastonbury done really well to have them on the bill at the last minute.

I will gived Emily & cio credit for that one.

while i'm sure one or two who posted knew for certain, people in-general weren't getting behind The Libs as it definitely being them with posts made here on the Friday morning.

If you check back in the secret sets thread, you'll be able to see for yourrself.

I'm not trying to be boastful, but there's what randoms on the internet are saying - and the problem with those is that they're saying a number of different things (as they were about that slot) - and there's what I or scottie might post. The efestivals word carries a higher authority because of its good record.

And, just out of interest I've just searched the media reports of it, with the first being Friday afternoon, giving an amount of certainty, and saying "according to reports". You can make your own guesses on which 'reports'.

Back on topic, everyone I saw and spoke to knew it was the Libs, people were texting me from outside the fest telling me it the Libs and it was all over the main media sites and the band itself even put clues out

again, nothing of these started till around midday. Gigwise (the first) ran their story at just after midday ... I wonder why? :P

It was Neil that tipped me off BTW, but shit loads of confirming info came in straight away afterwards.  Very impressive that they kept it quiet until the day.

As I said above, I'd noticed a few people posting it was them - but with the problem being you don't know if they really know or not.

The media scrum backstage wasn't certain at 11.30 - various names were going around - tho The Libs was the most fancied name, but with no certainty.

My info came from off-site, oddly enough.

Edited by eFestivals