Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Ed Sheeran can fill Wembley for the same reason people watch the X Factor, a huge amount of the population like middle of the road rubbish and Ed Sheeran is the embodiment of middle of the road, bland, vanilla, inoffensive, join the dots music. He'd probably be the perfect headliner for the festival as he'd probably pull the biggest ever arm chair audience on the BBC and make a people want to get tickets the next year.

I think its also down to most of his fans being under 16 too which require their parents to buy tickets too. Three nights is still pretty impressive regardless. It'll be interesting to see if he's still as popular in a few years when most of his fans have grown up.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble is Radiohead are the type of band to just release an album tomorrow.

No one knows they plans

Don't they? A couple of the band have said they plan to hit the studio again full time in September after a stalled start on the album.

And this is a band that takes two years in the studio because they're not working to deadlines anymore so I'd say we'd be lucky to hear it by the end of 2016.

Wouldn't expect them to play Wembley either.

Fair play, regardless of if that's right or not. Although let's be fair, Blur wouldn't have sold badly if FF weren't the same weekend and also advertised 1st. Didn't help that FF were in a better venue although BST was decent this year with all 3 of sound, bar queues and toilet queues, for me anyway. I guess people don't know that unless they take the plunge though.

Radiohead have headlined Glastonbury every 3 studio albums. First after Ok Computer. Second after Hail to the Thief. It is written. As good a theory as any.

I'm guessing they released 3 between 1997 and 2003 then? The thing is both of them went down at notable shows, Thom has criticized the Pyramid since which is a little silly as it generally has no worse sound than what The Park has. I do think that 12 years later he just has interest in it but it's something for him to do to not totally squash the idea of it. I see nothing but Radiohead own shows in the future, purely as for £70/80 they sell out instantly, helped by the rarity of their shows and a 200k fee regardless of how much he likes Glastonbury doesn't cut it.

Edited by thewayiam

Anyone think there's more gravitas to the 'we've booked our headliners this year' spiel due to it coming from the mouth of Emily instead of Michael?

I'd love them just to roll out a random announcement mid September.... 'there you go, it's Rihanna, Dacker and The Mac, see you in June'

I've never seen a list with Songs of Leonard Cohen as #1 so no lists can be trusted.

that's because songs of love and hate fills that spot...

Good to see this thread has taken a turn for the radiohead.

After seeing the reaction at latitude when thom came on stage with portishead, it's clear the adulation is still there. 

Radiohead would have a crowd to rival anyone in recent years, and it would be the best pyramid headline set since 2003.

Edited by russycarps

Cali, what's leading you to say Radiohead?

Just saying that, if anything, it'll be Radiohead on the Friday, Lady Gaga on the Saturday and Biffy Clyro on the Sunday.

Anyone who thinks it'll be Lady Gaga on the Friday, Biffy Clyro on the Saturday and Radiohead on the Sunday is kidding themselves.

The only thing more ludicrous than that is the suggestion that it'd be Biffy Clyro on the Friday, Radiohead on the Saturday and Lady Gaga on the Sunday.

Yeah also I noticed there's a recent trend to giving the more established headliners a big meaty full sized set. Foos would have got over 2 hours, Stones played a long set too. Radiohead only got 19 songs in 2003, so hopefully they would get the full 24 next time they play. 

Edited by arcade fireman