Headliners 2016

thewayiam

24 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

I'm clutching at straws Dental :D Biggest dates shes ever done but its still a step up to one of the biggest Pyramid crowds of all time.

I wasn't aware of the bottom bit, pretty much nailed on then.

Here's some hope for you. We know that money is adeles number one priority in life so perhaps she'll take the v festival or isle of Wight payday rather than the Glastonbury pittance. Hence the talks taking so long.

Her extreme greed could be our saviour. Keep the faith!

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

Here's some hope for you. We know that money is adeles number one priority in life so perhaps she'll take the v festival or isle of Wight payday rather than the Glastonbury pittance. Hence the talks taking so long.

But she'd have less tax to pay if she took the Glastonbury gig.

2 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

I find it bemusing that booking the biggest act in the world. One who is knocking back records worldwide. Writes and performs her own songs, who barely tours and likes the festival could be described as underwhelming. 

All comes down to personal taste like but outside of these boards Adele's booking will be seen as an undoubted massive coup. The biggest they could possibly do at this moment in time.

It's pretty normal for the opinion of these boards to vastly differ from the festival populace though.

All the the complaints about Coldplay and Muse having done it before, being too bland, nobody will be interested, Other Stage will be rammed etc etc are exactly the same as we had on here the last time those acts played. Then when the Festival came both acts played well reviewed sets to huge crowds - I wasn't at either but I believe Coldplay had by far the biggest crowd of the weekend, and Muse were 2nd only to the insane Stevie Wonder crowd.

Edited by incident

11 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If it is Muse, Adele and Coldplay.

Im hoping for a really good WH headliner. I have never seen one. I want to put that right in 2016.

Where the hell were you for Hot Chip, Fuzzy? 

Run The Jewels>Caribou>Hot Chip was the Friday hot ticket this summer!

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

5 hours ago, maarrkk said:

are muse really MOR?

coldplay and adele fair enough

Muse are the musical equivalent of New Labour. Once you scratch the surface, you realise they are conservative as hell

32 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Where the hell were you for Hot Chip, Fuzzy? 

Run The Jewels>Caribou>Hot Chip was the Friday hot ticket this summer!

:)

Ben

I did Hot Chip last year. Did not think much of Caribou though to be honest.

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

unfortunately she'll be in France/Belgium over IoW weekend. hopefully she won't be arsed with outdoor gigs and will just head off to the US after the European dates.

55 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

unfortunately she'll be in France/Belgium over IoW weekend. hopefully she won't be arsed with outdoor gigs and will just head off to the US after the European dates.

Haha, I would be surprised if she's got them dates down and not at least considering/leaving herself the option open of doing it.

8 hours ago, maarrkk said:

are muse really MOR?

coldplay and adele fair enough

White blokes who play guitar, bass and drums so you know, easy pickings.

7 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

One of Adele's great successes is that, unlike those you mention, she somehow manages to retain some cred with da' youth, while simultaneously pleasing Radio 2 listeners.

:lol:

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

See Travis, KoL, Killers, Mumford & Sons, Skunk Anansie, Florence, Kasabian, etc for a plethora of reasons as to why this theory doesn't hold.

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Flo has bags of artistic merit get the f out.

Muse aren't nailed on yet, ye pessimists. Although if Adele and Coldplay are headlining, they'd have to get fucking Satan himself as the third headliner to stop the Pyramid looking like the soundtrack to yer devout Christian Auntie Jill's 50th birthday garden party. Have you tried the nibbles? They're from Waitrose finest range.

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

***Can't remove this quote because the mobile site is terrible***

6 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Probably right.

It does feel like 2 festivals these days. Admittedly, not been since 2013, but that year it felt like there was teh Pyramid and Other as one festival (massive crowds for some very popular and bland acts)... and then the Greenfields, Park etc where there was great stuff going on, but more often than not, no one there. I couldn't believe how empty the green field tents were at some point in the day. The demographic has def. changed to 'tickboxers' and hens/stags abit. So I suppose the headliners are likely to also. I mean look at the legend slot... from Jonny Cash or Brian Wilson to Dolly or Lionel. 

Still the biggest and the best though - just finding this set of headliners (rumoured) very underwhelming, with Adele being the underwhelming cherry on top.

That's quite a generalisation that everyone who wants to see Adele/Coldplay/muse is a 'hen party/stag do' or basically not in line with the Glastonbury ethos...I like those and admittedly my music tastes are middle of the road and mainstream (and therefore shit for this board, even though I'd love radiohead to play and enjoyed arcade fire) but Glastonbury is basically my favourite place in the world and I spend time on various areas of the site 

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

That's quite a generalisation that everyone who wants to see Adele/Coldplay/muse is a 'hen party/stag do' or basically not in line with the Glastonbury ethos...I like those and admittedly my music tastes are middle of the road and mainstream (and therefore shit for this board, even though I'd love radiohead to play and enjoyed arcade fire) but Glastonbury is basically my favourite place in the world and I spend time on various areas of the site 

Hi.. Not exactly what I said. Nothing to do with ethos or mainstream or right or wrong - just that the proportion of of people enjoying the mainstream at the festival has increased dramaticallly, and the proportion of what could be considered enjoying more of the alternative has decreased. Obviously there was some sense of generalisation in what I said, but not quite as harsh as 'everyone who wants to see...' as implied by your post. 

Still, leaves plenty of room to get down the front of the other stages. :-)

7 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Hi.. Not exactly what I said. Nothing to do with ethos or mainstream or right or wrong - just that the proportion of of people enjoying the mainstream at the festival has increased dramaticallly, and the proportion of what could be considered enjoying more of the alternative has decreased. Obviously there was some sense of generalisation in what I said, but not quite as harsh as 'everyone who wants to see...' as implied by your post. 

Still, leaves plenty of room to get down the front of the other stages. :-)

Yep you're quite right. The current glastonbury crowd just want people who sell a lot of records to headline the pyramid. Artistic merit doesnt seem to be so important to these people.

It's interesting to think how things would have been different if these sort of people had been attending glastonbury in years gone by.

Here's a sample of what I mean.

Best selling artist 90-91: Simply Red

94: bon jovi

95: robson & jerome

98: the corrs

99: shania twain

2000: dido

2002: robbie williams

2003: dido

2005: james blunt...

If these imbeciles had been around back then look at the acts they would have been demanding headline!

Terrifying.

It's a sorry state of affairs, ain't it.

I really enjoyed Coldplay in 2011, much more than I thought I would but the prospect of them headlining is troubling me on a number of fronts, 1) It's too soon, 2) it's too many times already, 3) their music has taken a considerable nosedive (new album may prove me wrong but the single doesn't bode well).

Adele... huge artist and all that but does she have more than 2 upbeatish songs? Dull, dull, dull ballads about her boyfriend leaving her, in a muddy field, with between songs BANTAH for 2 hours... Jesus.

Muse... See Coldplay but without me having any interest in them at all.

This year no-one on the Pyramid was of any interest to me and I went with the old "great, more time away from the Pyramid, watching something more interesting instead" line but there is something truly epic about a great Pyramid headliner and I missed it.

Still holding out for Dacca.

Have to say, if it is Coldplay and Adele, which 'seems' likely then they have so much in common, being massive UK based sellers, and both with very current albums out that Muse really would look like a real afterthought should thay play. Dragging around an old album and basically repeating the majority of the 2010 set surely? It makes zero sense. I cant see it not being someone with much more history/heritage. Also, if logic states that Muse are a Foo Fighters stand in, it seems way to early to be falling to 'back up plans', surely?

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Have you forgotten that Thompson twins and Shakespears sister both headlined. It's always happened and always will

Shakespeares sister werent megastars though. They were just a shit band that for some reason the bookers thought was a good idea, presumably due to that one garbage song. They werent the adele/beyonce/coldplay of their day. I dont know anything about the thomson twins so cant comment on that.

None of the big pop acts of the day got a look in, otherwise we'd have had headliners like take that, bros, spice girls etc.