Rihanna

Matt42

Rihanna’s never been the greatest live performer, and on top of that she’s pregnant which kind of limits her a bit, but yeah, not great. Maybe recent years have raised expectations quite a bit, but despite the hundreds of dancers and hanging platforms etc, it all seemed bare bones and kind of low energy. She also just gave up any pretence that she was actually singing live multiple times. 

28 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Greatest torments ever devised: Prometheus having his liver pecked out by vultures, Sisyphus having to roll a boluder up a hill, Suprefan forced to attend Glastonbury.

If I attend there is minimal rain. 🤷🏻‍♂️

double standard apparently, a pyramid headliner needs bangers on bangers but if its not delivered correctly its not worth the time.

Edited by Suprefan

9 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

double standard apparently, a pyramid headliner needs bangers on bangers but if its not delivered correctly its not worth the time.

Using the instrument you’re famous for feels like quite a low benchmark, be that guitar, maracas, or voice. I’m sure you’d agree if it was one of those rap singers you get these days. 

Visually impressive but once you got past the initial "Oo... platforms", I found it boring. Doesn't help that she has songs that make me want to switch the radio off but you can't have everything. 

I also kind of like my singers to sing, call me old fashioned but I'd rather a bad vocal than a backing track.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Maybe coachella required not 6 months pregnant.

Beyonce didnt do it cause of pregnancy and now you lot hate the artist who did a performance with child but since she didnt dance and stuff like beyonce its not cool.  No pleasing anyone it seems. She sang but nobody cares.

so what if she did the kanye song, kanye didnt show up did he? No guests and showed how deep of a catalog she has. But you guys enjoy having old gits on stage with voices that arent nearly as good as they used to be and say atta boy.

Suprefan doing Suprefan things…

Piss poor effort that.  Floating platforms and loads of dancers to try and distract from the fact it's someone miming over a backing track.  Having said that, when she does sing live it sounds like a honking nasal goose so I guess miming is preferable.

On 2/12/2023 at 1:35 AM, Suprefan said:

How and why nobody gets paid to do the halftime show if youre not familiar. Sounds a lot like a certain festival that pays only in exposure.

she refused the money

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think some people have unrealistic expectations of these kind of shows. There's only about 15 minutes and it has to be right and it looked quite spectacular. 

I think expectations don't help - the Superbowl slot has been used by female pop stars in particular to really go all-out on the spectacle front (Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Beyonce).

This felt more like a pop star doing their version of a Maroon 5/The Who/Bruce Springsteen half-time show where they can just turn up, perform the songs and leave without worrying too much about creating a unique experience or an iconic visual moment. About the only flourish she added which felt unique to her was to promote her makeup brand halfway through.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Is expecting her to sing unrealistic?

For most of these things these days yes. The turnaround time for everything is so tight and the risk of if anything goes wrong too great for them to be allowed to sing live. Most of them will record a live vocal before the show so it's not like they are people who don't know how to sing. It's not like she's Milli Vanilli and actually unable to sing. 

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Is expecting her to sing unrealistic?

She sang plenty, you can hear differences in inflection between the studio tracks and the show. At least I could.

Plenty of backing vocals too sure, but it's hardly uncommon with pop. Billie's headline pyramid set had so much she literally stopped singing mid-song to tell them to tone it down. 

Maybe she pre-recorded it to sound different from the studio but I dunno why they'd bother, it's not really uncommon. Same with so much live hip-hop. 

Edited by BenG92

• 1 month later...

The Mail is reporting today that it was Rhianna that dropped out this year. Very much "I'm hearing" stuff so nothing of any substance behind it. A few people seemed certain it was her at the time though most of us were sticking with Taylor. 🤷

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

most of us were sticking with Taylor. 🤷

people had worked themselves up into a taylor frenzy and only stuff confirming that belief could penetrate those brains.