How did they handle the Friday blackout?

Vidsidasta

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the pyramid powered down a fair few ran to the tree at the back of the field for shelter. Many a smart-arse pointed out that standing under a tree was a bad idea during a thunder storm, even bigger smart-arses (me and my mates mainly) pointed out that this particular theory probably didn't hold much weight due to the massive metal pyramid like structure 200ish yards away. The worst thing to happen was the cream on my waffle got soaked (not a euphemism).

When the pyramid powered down a fair few ran to the tree at the back of the field for shelter. Many a smart-arse pointed out that standing under a tree was a bad idea during a thunder storm, even bigger smart-arses (me and my mates mainly) pointed out that this particular theory probably didn't hold much weight due to the massive metal pyramid like structure 200ish yards away. The worst thing to happen was the cream on my waffle got soaked (not a euphemism).

Yeah, my falafal got soaked in the downpour. Probably the most 'Glastonbury' sentence I've written in some time.

it was not just the stages - right pain in the arse as the BBC { BBC South West TV } wanted to interview me for a ' live ' broadcast { have no clue why they wanted it to be live } - this had all been arranged months in advance and was all set to jump on a stock buggy to drive to the back stage area of the Pyramid stage when they called up and canceled the interview.
We lost power in our Crew Bar and as far a I know power was lost site wide.
while people were reporting rain where they were it was dry within our crew area { where the shot was taken of me standing nearly under the rainbow }
its just one of those things.

2014-4.jpg

Are you not training for the upcoming NFL pre-season Smash?

I probably posted last year but I just remebered how grim this was. My 'Storm-proof' Nike jacket is anything but, and I was too far away from my camp site to walk back so just had to stand there getting absolutely soaked waiting for Parquet Courts. Luckily I have a proper Berghaus waterproof jacket which I will be bringing this year. And probably more than a single pair of jeans, nothing worse than putting on a soggy pair of jeans.

Edited by Riggins

After Dreadzone finished I wandered over there to find an unamplified Shappi Khorsandi regaling a few dozen folk huddled at the front of the stage.

I wandered right back out again.

She didn't deal with it well at all. The guy who was on when the power went was superb. If only I could think who he was.

We were at Rudimental too and although we all got soaked right through (nothing short of a rubber gimp suit was keeping that rain out), I kind of enjoyed it. Watching the cloud come over and seeing the wave through the crowd as people closer to the stage saw the cloud and began putting jackets on had us all chuckling. We all knew we had dry clothes etc back at the tents so we just went with it. Our group included a 1 year old, so as we penguin huddled at the back of the field to protect him from the worst rain (helped at one point by a lovely random who had made friends with kid earlier), we entertained him by singing 'my favourite things' and 'the sun has got his hat on'. It was fun times. Then we all trooped off and put on fancy dress to dance in the mud. :)

We took shelter in an 'Anti Fracking' tent near the Pyramid. Only problem was, I was ridiculously coming up off a pill and the tent was absolutely heaving. One of the most bizarre experiences of my life.

I also went for cover in the fracking tent, christ I'd never seen to many people interested in learning about fracking ;)

Good timing though, cos it chucked it down - i do pity those that decided to stand outside the tent entrance, as they got a double soaking when they pushed all the water off the roof.