The National

Zoo Music Girl

Absolutely awful slot. Couldn't believe it when I saw 45 minutes at first this morning. Glad it's changed to an hour but not impressed in the slightest with that run up. The only consolation is that I can't imagine a lot of Katy Perry fans sticking around so should get easy entry and a decent view (unless it goes the opposite with a mass exodus and gridlock trying to get in and out of the stage). 

12 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Absolutely awful slot. Couldn't believe it when I saw 45 minutes at first this morning. Glad it's changed to an hour but not impressed in the slightest with that run up. The only consolation is that I can't imagine a lot of Katy Perry fans sticking around so should get easy entry and a decent view (unless it goes the opposite with a mass exodus and gridlock trying to get in and out of the stage). 

Sadly, a lot of people will just stick around and talk through the set.

42 minutes ago, D-Low said:

just noticed Biffy are the only sub with 1hr 15.

29 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Sadly, a lot of people will just stick around and talk through the set.

Bloody won't! Bit of Beans on Toast, then Birdy before FF.

The Beck/Coldplay talk from last year has caused quite a chip-pissing reaction to any mention of sub headliners on here. I was just in from Wateraid and it was fine if not going off big style. A few of the lads moved in towards the circle and had a great time.

It's a festival, you're always gonna get a fair crossover of punters who aren't arsed about what's in front of them at a given time. Rightly or wrongly, I talked all the way through Ellie G last year as I couldn't be chewed to shift anywhere post ELO. Nature of the beast innit.

Personally, I reckon they'll nail it, and I'll be scuttling across from Avalanches to watch the last half hour.

After the the times have been released I'm even more excited than I was before for this now.

I was worried about there being someone on around them that would mean a big rush and not getting a slot.

But with there being an hour slot between Liam Gallagher finishing and The National starting it means we'll all be well on our way by the time LG finishes then it'll be a possible pit stop at the tent for a re-up then a wander over to the Pyramid wait for K-Paz to finish and slide right into the front and wait for greatest to ascend.

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

The Beck/Coldplay talk from last year has caused quite a chip-pissing reaction to any mention of sub headliners on here. I was just in from Wateraid and it was fine if not going off big style. A few of the lads moved in towards the circle and had a great time.

It's a festival, you're always gonna get a fair crossover of punters who aren't arsed about what's in front of them at a given time. Rightly or wrongly, I talked all the way through Ellie G last year as I couldn't be chewed to shift anywhere post ELO. Nature of the beast innit.

Personally, I reckon they'll nail it, and I'll be scuttling across from Avalanches to watch the last half hour.

Mmhm. Tame Impala got all this too but there was an exodus beforehand and (from what I saw/experienced) everyone that was proper interested got into the front and enjoyed the second best set of the weekend. Admit that Tame Impala are more likely to get people dancing and Foos are more likely to have diehards at the barrier but I think it's The National's game to win nonetheless

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Doing my best not to listen to The National at all, to avoid the pain of having to miss them. I Should Live In Salt just came on shuffle. Y U CLASH? Y!?

Who are you seeing instead? Solange?

Just now, nikkic said:

Who are you seeing instead? Solange?

Solange + Avalanches. I'm going to the Manchester show in September so I had to prioritise, but it fucking stings.

A couple of weeks ago I was really excited for the line-up this year, because while I don't find it that strong overall, Anderson .Paak, Solange, The National, At Tribe Called Quest, and The Can Project are all super unmissable. Left with only two of them now, I do feel let down, especially when there's no real Friday headliner for me and The National have been given a baffingly shit slot for them.

19 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Solange + Avalanches. I'm going to the Manchester show in September so I had to prioritise, but it fucking stings.

Dude I think there's something wrong with your clashfinder. There's nothing on while the National are playing  the Pyramid. 

1 minute ago, e2p2 said:

Dude I think there's something wrong with your clashfinder. There's nothing on while the National are playing  the Pyramid. 

Even if you could teleport between stages, you're missing a sizeable chunk of both The Avalanches and Solange to see The National's full set. The amount of The National's set you could see from leaving at the end of The Avalanches and still be back at beginning of Solange, would just be pretty minuscule for the effort. And you'd have to stand so far back, and be amongst so many disinterested people talking, that the trip would be pointless. Then in the unlikely event it's going off in the Pyramid field, I'd be all cut up about not being able to stay. Much better to stay at West Holts for ambiance and beverages and maybe a tactical toilet trip.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Even if you could teleport between stages, you're missing a sizeable chunk of both The Avalanches and Solange to see The National's full set. The amount of The National's set you could see from leaving at the end of The Avalanches and still be back at beginning of Solange, would just be pretty minuscule for the effort. And you'd have to stand so far back, and be amongst so many disinterested people talking, that the trip would be pointless. Then in the unlikely event it's going off in the Pyramid field, I'd be all cut up about not being able to stay. Much better to stay at West Holts for ambiance and beverages and maybe a tactical toilet trip.

Saw Solange on Thursday. Superb. Absolutely excellent show. And for the full efffect you need to be there for the beginning, I reckon. Visually very striking.

Edited by Mardy