The National

Zoo Music Girl

I hope they change things up a bit and this quote of a recent interview about the album anouncement gives me hope: "We realized recently that we're not a band with big songs. This tour, we're going to try to play everything as lovingly as the new stuff, and just loosen our grip on it all."
For example, "All Dolled-Up In Straps" is such a lovely song they could play way more often. I had the chance to see it (according to setlist.fm it was only played 6 times, although quite a few setlists of earlier years are probably missing) and everybody around me got really teary-eyed. Glastonbury will probably be quite a hit-fest, but there's hope for the tour in autumn.

5 minutes ago, ThomZorke said:

Glastonbury will probably be quite a hit-fest, but there's hope for the tour in autumn.

"Hit-fest"? As much as I love them, they've not really had any "hits", have they?

I'd imagine we'll get Bloodbuzz, Fake Empire, Mr November, Afraid of Everyone, Terrible Love, England, Slow Show, Abel (purely because it's upbeat), Mistaken For Strangers, Demons, Sorrow, Graceless, I Should Live In Salt, The System Only Dream in Total Darkness and another new one. That's 15 tracks.

Not hits in a traditional way, but more in terms of a The National-cosmos. On the last tour they played Bloodbuzz, Fake Empire, Mr. November, Terrible Love, Mistaken For Strangers every single time. To be fair, all nice songs and it's probably just a problem of seeing them quite a few times in a short while. Would love to hear stuff like "Baby, We'll Be Fine", "Cherry Tree" or "Exile Vilify" a bit more often, although I'm really not expecting this here.

Edited by ThomZorke

They're a remarkably consistent band. It's so hard to pick their best songs, and there's very little consensus on it. Look at this thread when someone asks what album to listen to first, it's pretty much an even split between the last 4. There aren't many bands like that.

Just now, Bradders said:

They're a remarkably consistent band. It's so hard to pick their best songs, and there's very little consensus on it. Look at this thread when someone asks what album to listen to first, it's pretty much an even split between the last 4. There aren't many bands like that.

Radiohead? For every person who says Kid A, there's another who says The Bends, OK Computer or In Rainbows (for the best "cross-section" it's probably In Rainbows though, although my favourite is The Bends).

25 minutes ago, Monkismo said:

"Hit-fest"? As much as I love them, they've not really had any "hits", have they?

I'd imagine we'll get Bloodbuzz, Fake Empire, Mr November, Afraid of Everyone, Terrible Love, England, Slow Show, Abel (purely because it's upbeat), Mistaken For Strangers, Demons, Sorrow, Graceless, I Should Live In Salt, The System Only Dream in Total Darkness and another new one. That's 15 tracks.

Hard to Find is actually their most popular song on Google Music. A bit strange considering it was neither a single and is at the end of an album. Great song, but not the first one you would pick. Not only that but, I Need My Girl is also in the top 5 most popular. 

4 minutes ago, Monkismo said:

Radiohead? For every person who says Kid A, there's another who says The Bends, OK Computer or In Rainbows (for the best "cross-section" it's probably In Rainbows though, although my favourite is The Bends).

True, but I'd say that's more down to Radiohead's variety. Lots of people who love The Bends don't care for Kid A and vice versa. With The National I don't think anyone who loves High Violet doesn't also think Boxer is great.

Disaster zone here. 

Tried for Hammersmith Thursday - no tickets going at all - I think they were all sold in presale. 

Bought Monday instead, thinking I was going to be in London. Turns out, I'm in Bristol. No chance of shifting. 

If anyone hears of anyone interested in 2 x Monday tickets at face, let me know. 

Hoping they don't bomb on the Pyramid.... 

On 2017-5-20 at 7:24 PM, tevaburger said:

run south...i think it was Cincinnati not Cleveland they were carried to and who don't remember them now

I'm aware of that, just referring to the fact I was in Ohio. I also know Neil Young is Canadian and the Low Anthem are from Rhode Island :-D ;-)