2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

Some cracking albums out so far this year.

Has anyone listened to SOHN - Rennen yet? Popped up on Spotify so I gave it a blast, such a good album. 

It's got a touch of the James Blake's about it, a lot more soulful though. Really well produced melodic album .

19 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

New Dirty Projectors LP on 24 February.

I've seen them at Latitude. Are they likely of interest on the Farm? Hope so.

Ben

Mega stoked for this new album - love the direction they've taken. They played high up the Park in 2010 so I'd love for them to make a return, although they have no tour dates announced as of yet so maybe it's a no-go entirely 

10 hours ago, nikkic said:

Some cracking albums out so far this year.

Has anyone listened to SOHN - Rennen yet? Popped up on Spotify so I gave it a blast, such a good album. 

It's got a touch of the James Blake's about it, a lot more soulful though. Really well produced melodic album .

I listened to the previous album a little bit. Nice enough, although it didn't totally blow me away. Might have a gander at this new one if it's good.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Second-listen and... fuck. Of all the albums I've been disappointed about recently, this one hurts the most. Gonna persevere with it because I do like quite a lot of stadium rock, but they shoulda really just titled the thing We've Grown Up, Maybe You Should Too. 

48 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Second-listen and... fuck. Of all the albums I've been disappointed about recently, this one hurts the most. Gonna persevere with it because I do like quite a lot of stadium rock, but they shoulda really just titled the thing We've Grown Up, Maybe You Should Too. 

Ah man, I haven't had a chance to listen yet but I sure do hope you're wrong/it turns out to be a grower

I'm also disappointed with the new Japandroids album. I liked the first two songs they released from it, the title track particularly, but the rest is just nothing like that at all. Will need a few more listens to actually remember what the other songs were like because barring the one with the weird synth thing they were all so bland I've forgotten.

43 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It'll be timed to coincide with the inauguration.

Yeah I get that. But as your first new music in ages? Seems weird is all.

Unless they aren't using this as their 'comeback' track and will be releasing something else pretty soon after

51 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah I get that. But as your first new music in ages? Seems weird is all.

Unless they aren't using this as their 'comeback' track and will be releasing something else pretty soon after

Probably just a politically charged track that was initially buried among the album tracks but released to coincide with the inauguration, and a more typical single will be on its way shortly. Fwiw I think it's quite good.