Embrace missing out or hideaway?

Fred Zepplin

Congratulations to everyone who got tickets. I missed out for the first time since 2007. Well I didn’t go in 2019 but we had just had a baby so decided to give it a miss. 
For the ticketless will you be doing anything special for Glastonbury weekend and be watching everything available or pretending the whole thing isn’t happening?
My friends who have never been and don’t want to go have a party and get the projector set up outside. We’ve been I invited to go but at the moment I just want to pretend it’s not on this year 

7 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Congratulations to everyone who got tickets. I missed out for the first time since 2007. Well I didn’t go in 2019 but we had just had a baby so decided to give it a miss. 
For the ticketless will you be doing anything special for Glastonbury weekend and be watching everything available or pretending the whole thing isn’t happening?
My friends who have never been and don’t want to go have a party and get the projector set up outside. We’ve been I invited to go but at the moment I just want to pretend it’s not on this year 

I missed out last year (we have two core groups that always go, other group got in last year, mine got in this year...typical!...though I guess we've had the best part of 20 years with us all getting in so can't really complain). Like you, I previously voluntarily took a couple of years out when my daughter was born, but watched it all the same. Anyway, knowing people there last year certainly kept my interest up, plenty of texting back and forth about various sets and feedback on what it was like in the field. I went to Pulp (+ Richard Hawley), Depeche Mode (+ Young Fathers) and Blur (+Self Esteem) in the run up to the festival (with Blur on the Saturday night of the festival), all in glorious sunshine and it certainly dampened down the disappointment! Ended up thoroughly enjoying watching it at home. So, I say embrace it, go to the party, drink, watch it with your mates, have fun and enjoy!

• Upvote 1

The only one I missed in the last 15 years was 2017.  I initially wanted to bury my head in the sand and try to escape, but ultimately I ended up watching some of the TV coverage.  It was bittersweet if I'm honest as I couldn't stop wishing I was there.  This might be my last G anyway, but if not and I miss out in future, I'll go on a short holiday or something and avoid it completely.

When I wasn’t there last year I watched it on tv and had a cry 🤣 I’m ticketless again but hoping by some miracle I find a way there and not have to repeat the same sad affair. It was quite nice to see the coverage though 

• Like 1

It's a personal opinion, but I always think that 'hiding away' is adding fuel to the fire of disappointment. I appreciate it's disappointing not being able to attend, and watching live can add to the sense of FOMO, but completely shielding yourself from it whilst it's live just feels a little bit too far for me.

If you love the fest to the extent where missing out on tickets produces such a strong feeling, it's foolish to remove yourself from it entirely.

I also think actively ignoring it whilst it's happening gives it a little too much control over your life. I love, love, love Glasto, and wish I can go forever, but it won't, and can't happen. Ignoring coverage of it whilst it's on portrays it as a sort-of 'essential' in your life that you can't live without - it is, at the end of the day, just a festival - and I'm not sure that's a particularly healthy trait to have

• Upvote 2

The only time I have been ticketless since I started going I still watched all the footage I could. I don't understand being able to pretend it's not happening and whilst it's obviously not exactly the same I still enjoyed watching the sets I did. Then again when I come home from Glastonbury I watch all the footage usually starting with the things I didn't get to watch.

I didn't get a ticket last year, first time since 2007 and it was...fine. Got over the initial disappointment and moved on.

Didn't watch it on telly cos I'm never that fussed about watching music on TV, it always fails to capture the essence of it. And I'd never rewatched sets I was at when I got home anyway, so I definitely wasn't going to start watching sets I wasn't at. I'll be honest I can't remember what I did last year over Glastonbury weekend. Just got on with my life I guess. Was surprisingly painless. And decided against trying in the resale this year. Having broken the habit, much easier this year, things can exist without me being there. I'll live, the festival will continue. Current plan is to try on T-day this autumn and if that doesn't work, not bother with the resale.

Too much bloody vision – The Ed Techie

Edited by Mardy

Sadly we didn't get tickets this year, first time since 2015. Feeling pretty gutted, but come the weekend we will watch as much as possible, still enjoy the memories of times in the fields.

To compensate we booked Shambala tickets, always fancied going as its close to home 

3 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I was going to start a similar thread!

I can't go this year due to an unfortunately timed pregnancy... I thought five of my friends were still going, but they all put the tickets back in the pot (shocking I know). As they're not going I somehow feel as if I'm missing out less, but it still feels weird.  I've wondered if other ticketless folks still follow the magic (including checking out the announced acts, watching it on tv, have people over for a wee party) or shut it out. 

I appear to be very much the former!

59 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I didn't get a ticket last year, first time since 2007 and it was...fine. Got over the initial disappointment and moved on.

Didn't watch it on telly cos I'm never that fussed about watching music on TV, it always fails to capture the essence of it. And I'd never rewatched sets I was at when I got home anyway, so I definitely wasn't going to start watching sets I wasn't at. I'll be honest I can't remember what I did last year over Glastonbury weekend. Just got on with my life I guess. Was surprisingly painless. And decided against trying in the resale this year. Having broken the habit, much easier this year, things can exist without me being there. I'll live, the festival will continue. Current plan is to try on T-day this autumn and if that doesn't work, not bother with the resale.

Too much bloody vision – The Ed Techie

4b6ca92e-e7e8-4a00-b29a-b6366142a136_tex

• Like 1

It's a strange one and seems to be horses for courses. When I'm not there I normally take a half day in work on Friday and spend the Friday, Saturday and Sunday drinking cider and watching on TV. My partner however just wants to pretend it isn't happening which isn't easy given she lives with me.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Last year first i'd missed since 2003. Go to a couple shows over the weekend. Watch a few bits on telly. Its no biggie, honestly, this year looks like a goody to miss.

6 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Well you could keep a lenor bottle by the side of your bed. Or wake up needing a pee but wait till the last moment and then rush to get dressed,  with wellies and run to your bathroom.

Buy some expensive food and pop it in a small cardboard container and believe it's a proper meal.

Leave some cans out to warm up then drink them at 11 in the morning. 

Find a set you want to see on TV then get some mates around to take a load of coke and talk all the way through it

Neck some laxatives then go somewhere crowded and try and get to a toilet. 

Arrange to be somewhere great, but actually be somewhere not so good and remember the good thing nearly when finishes.

Get a branch from nearby tree and whittle a spoon.

Buy old forks then spend an hour fashioning them into a mobile.

Get friends to link hands and keep walking past you whilst some stand on your feet.

Pop to the park and mutter w*nkers under your breath to anyone on a blanket.

Get a friend to dress in a leotard and recite crap poetry

Monday find a car tailback and join the end

Walk around your house muttering it's not as good as it used to be.

Edited by fred quimby
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Didn't go last year and it was absolutely awful to be honest. Was completely gutted the whole weekend I wasn't there and not seen a single set from the festival as a result. Really didn't expect it as bas as I did. 

I've been to most years since 1986. As is clearly evident from the majority of posts, this year is severely underwhelming. Without doubt the worst I've ever seen in nearly forty years. As such I have no regrets missing it, especially as The Breeders are playing Bristol that weekend. And to be honest over the past couple years there's a rather different, how shall I put this, unpleasant wave of teens that have a Reading festival vibe about them. Free from mummy and daddy and acting like prats. Until recently that was very rare to see at Glastonbury.

9 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

It's a personal opinion, but I always think that 'hiding away' is adding fuel to the fire of disappointment. I appreciate it's disappointing not being able to attend, and watching live can add to the sense of FOMO, but completely shielding yourself from it whilst it's live just feels a little bit too far for me.

If you love the fest to the extent where missing out on tickets produces such a strong feeling, it's foolish to remove yourself from it entirely.

I also think actively ignoring it whilst it's happening gives it a little too much control over your life. I love, love, love Glasto, and wish I can go forever, but it won't, and can't happen. Ignoring coverage of it whilst it's on portrays it as a sort-of 'essential' in your life that you can't live without - it is, at the end of the day, just a festival - and I'm not sure that's a particularly healthy trait to have

Wonderfully said 👌

I’ve missed out a few times in recent years, and by the time the actual wkend comes round I find myself drawn to the coverage and wanting to partake, even if it means from my sofa watching the tv. There was a great thread and group of people here chatting throughout the wkend when I last missed out a couple of years ago.

Ps - I didn’t open this thread earlier today thinking it was about Embrace. Glad I understood the title correctly this evening!

10 minutes ago, mario man said:

Wonderfully said 👌

I’ve missed out a few times in recent years, and by the time the actual wkend comes round I find myself drawn to the coverage and wanting to partake, even if it means from my sofa watching the tv. There was a great thread and group of people here chatting throughout the wkend when I last missed out a couple of years ago.

Ps - I didn’t open this thread earlier today thinking it was about Embrace. Glad I understood the title correctly this evening!

Sorry, one other thing I will add - the bbc coverage is so good. The ability to instantly flick between the main stages is superb - one evening I think I saw more music sat with a few beers and a remote control than I’d ever done in a similar timeframe at the festival.
I appreciate it’s not even close to being there & in the crowd, but I loved being able to watch bits and pieces of so many different sets.