West Holts 2024

CaledonianGonzo

32 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Lots of young people moving from MDMA to coke is one of the worst things to happen to festivals. Less face pulling but lots more me, me, me.

Not only young people, but middle-aged dads. Was sat at CarHenge last year on my tod having brunch and eavesdropped on a trio of 45 year olds talking problems with their life (lots of stress with kids, wives, investments etc etc), all openly doing coke with their morning cuppas. 

14 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Not only young people, but middle-aged dads. Was sat at CarHenge last year on my tod having brunch and eavesdropped on a trio of 45 year olds talking problems with their life (lots of stress with kids, wives, investments etc etc), all openly doing coke with their morning cuppas. 

Aye it's across the board I suppose. 

Bring back pills. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:36 AM, Carpyrob said:

Can someone settle this debate with my wife before one of us is sleeping on the sofa tonight. 

heilung

have they ever played boomtown. 
I have recollections of maybe a Thursday night many years ago. Stumbling into a tent. Everything was all very hazy. But it was very theatrical Lots of body paint. Naked bodies and stabbings on the stage with blood.

a quick YouTube search of heilung, it looks very similar. But can anyone confirm it was heilung I saw many years ago at boomtown. Maybe 2017 or before.  

my misses is convinced it was Glastonbury we saw this act. But a quick search, I don’t think they’ve ever played glasto. 

Their very first live dates were in late August 2017, and I’m fairly certain their first UK date was in London in 2018. So nope, it wasn’t them. 

On 2/24/2024 at 9:30 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Brittany Howard is a good (and expected) booking, but how are folk getting on with her new album? 

All the reviews are calling it a masterpiece - but I dunno man... is it?

I think for me it’s a grower. I wasn’t sure at all on first listen but I am enjoying it more now. Not sure about masterpiece but very decent! 

18 hours ago, stuie said:

If there’s a headliner that floats your boat on WH but you’ve got a clash I’d say give it a second thought before you bin off the WH act because it’s got such a great atmosphere… it’s weird because the stage itself is fairly standard and unremarkable but it has a certain something that you can’t quantify really.

Bicep and Justice on WH are two of my absolute fave gigs ever!  

Thank you for the heads-up!

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Their very first live dates were in late August 2017, and I’m fairly certain their first UK date was in London in 2018. So nope, it wasn’t them. 

I have just checked our wristband collection. 

we were at boomtown 2018. It could possibly of been that year. Like I say. Anything boomtown related normally means little - to no recollection of events. 

Im gonna check the lineup for that year now if I can find it. 

thanks for the info 😁

3 hours ago, fakeplastictrees2000 said:

After some listening the 'leaked lineup' is pretty incredible.

A few I already knew and loved on there, but both Balming Tiger and Jalen Ngonda are unbelievable discoveries

Hadn’t heard of him until he did a session in the piano lounge on radio 2 the other week. Highly recommend listening to it. He’s great

3 hours ago, fakeplastictrees2000 said:

After some listening the 'leaked lineup' is pretty incredible.

A few I already knew and loved on there, but both Balming Tiger and Jalen Ngonda are unbelievable discoveries

That’s why I love West Holts, it never fails to deliver on new and exciting musical discoveries, irrespective of the rest of the line up I expect I’ll be there for several acts.

13 hours ago, ironmike8 said:

The weirdest thing about this is that pills have never been cheaper! Bang for your buck MD or pills is so much better than coke, aside from how much more fun it is

its not even coke, its mostly gak, theyd have as much fun with talcum powder.

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

That’s why I love West Holts, it never fails to deliver

i agree, but in the time you've been going to glasto, that stage has had three or five different bookers, amazing how consistent the line-ups are knowing that.

• Upvote 1

I've done 3 festivals and yet to do a WH headliner, the atmosphere always looks mega for them. Crowds seem to love it there, and seems well worth missing out on someone bigger who'd cost more to see.

Still regretting seeing Lana over Loyle last year! Might have to see Jungle this time round.

Unrelated, any thoughts on what happened to Thievery Corporation? Thought their tour around the big G would be an indication of them playing Holts?

1 minute ago, wro_lap said:

Unrelated, any thoughts on what happened to Thievery Corporation? Thought their tour around the big G would be an indication of them playing Holts?

maybe the budget wouldn't stretch to it? I've no idea what the stage can pay but i suspect TC would be one of the more expensive acts.

On 2/24/2024 at 8:41 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

To be fair I did give you a couple of lines lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Justcalledtosay said:

For balance, i was at Simz' headline a few years back. She was great but the crowd were quite subdued.

The only WH set I’ve seen which has been a disappointment. 

Left half way through, just couldn’t get into it. 

Mixed experiences on West Holts over the years for me, some fabulous moments, Maribou State in the evening sun 2019, Young Fathers last year among the highlights! I would say though that it's best to get as far forward as possible, as sometimes there can be sound issues down there, sound was mixed for Hot Chip in 2015, and a disaster for Caribou in 2022.

All in all though, it's usually a great crowd around there, and the added bonus of the best grub on site as well for me.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:48 PM, Neil said:

can also be more-w*nker, coked-up idiots with no respect for other people's personal space.

TBF, at last year's festival I had this at the Bandstand, Pyramid Field, Park, Greenfields and even walking round the market areas.  Way more nosebag on the go than any other G - or other festival for that matter - than I've ever seen.