West Holts 2024

CaledonianGonzo

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Brittany Howard is a good (and expected) booking, but how are folk getting on with her new album? 

All the reviews are calling it a masterpiece - but I dunno man... is it?

I wouldn’t go as far as masterpiece but I do really like it. A few big standouts on there. 

Given she’s likely to be near the top end or even subbing Holts I’ve already got it in my head that she’ll be one I miss out on, but if she’s free from clashes I’ll be there.

33 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Brittany Howard is a good (and expected) booking, but how are folk getting on with her new album? 

I think it's good, maybe very good, but it takes many listens to get into it.

41 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Give it a few more listens, best album of this year so far imo.

18 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

Yeah I put her on my predictions but people weren' having it. I think she'd be brilliant, loved her last album. She ain't antisemitic, she's just worked with a certain rapper who is.

I think having a featured verse with antisemitic content on your album counts as guilt by association even if she didn’t say it herself. Either way, not a great look for her

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Could justice still be Sunday or have we settled on the day order ? Willing this to be against Stevie as Im not so bothered having seen him last time 

They’re either Friday or Sunday given we know Jungle are Saturday. Really could go either way, but hoping for the Friday myself for a good alternative to Coldplay. 

Can someone settle this debate with my wife before one of us is sleeping on the sofa tonight. 

heilung

have they ever played boomtown. 
I have recollections of maybe a Thursday night many years ago. Stumbling into a tent. Everything was all very hazy. But it was very theatrical Lots of body paint. Naked bodies and stabbings on the stage with blood.

a quick YouTube search of heilung, it looks very similar. But can anyone confirm it was heilung I saw many years ago at boomtown. Maybe 2017 or before.  

my misses is convinced it was Glastonbury we saw this act. But a quick search, I don’t think they’ve ever played glasto. 

22 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

I think if it's not right at all, it'd be more to do with it being not confirmed yet by the organisers, might be the odd small change between now and then.

yes, there'll be an emerging talent competition winner to get on the stage, plus he won't have seen the other stages bookings yet, and there's normally the chance to book an already booked act as a second booking.

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Given I've only done West Holts for two acts in two festivals, will make it a goal to see more there this year.

But so much depends who else is on elsewhere, of course.

If there’s a headliner that floats your boat on WH but you’ve got a clash I’d say give it a second thought before you bin off the WH act because it’s got such a great atmosphere… it’s weird because the stage itself is fairly standard and unremarkable but it has a certain something that you can’t quantify really.

Bicep and Justice on WH are two of my absolute fave gigs ever!  

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, stuie said:

If there’s a headliner that floats your boat on WH but you’ve got a clash I’d say give it a second thought before you bin off the WH act because it’s got such a great atmosphere… it’s weird because the stage itself is fairly standard and unremarkable but it has a certain something that you can’t quantify really.

Bicep and Justice on WH are two of my absolute fave gigs ever!  

Yup, find that Holts crowds just tend to be far more vibey and friendly than your average Pyramid or Other crowds, especially at headliner times.

So stoked Justice are back doing it this year. Was such a party last time, and they really seemed to love doing it.

Wonder if they’ll be cutting in to their payment to accommodate their setup again like they did last time. 

17 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Yup, find that Holts crowds just tend to be far more vibey and friendly than your average Pyramid or Other crowds, especially at headliner times.

can also be more-w*nker, coked-up idiots with no respect for other people's personal space.

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

can also be more-w*nker, coked-up idiots with no respect for other people's personal space.

Lots of young people moving from MDMA to coke is one of the worst things to happen to festivals. Less face pulling but lots more me, me, me.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Lots of young people moving from MDMA to coke is one of the worst things to happen to festivals. Less face pulling but lots more me, me, me.

Agree with this, have noticed a real shift in atmosphere in crowds over the last few years