The churnups

a6l6e6x

The Dave Grohl hotel rumour - my issue with this is, if it's legit, comes from a proper source, why is the rumour just about Dave? 

Like, we're not talking someone spotted a name on a hotel booking list or something, it's from a source close to the management... why didn't that person hear that the Foos had hotel rooms booked? Surely they'd all need to be there? Why was it specifically Dave? It seems to point more at a guest spot to me. 

I mean it depends on the context in which they heard it and why (like if they were trying to secure an interview with Dave specifically, for example, it could come up). But otherwise it just seems a bit odd to me.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

The Dave Grohl hotel rumour - my issue with this is, if it's legit, comes from a proper source, why is the rumour just about Dave? 

Like, we're not talking someone spotted a name on a hotel booking list or something, it's from a source close to the management... why didn't that person hear that the Foos had hotel rooms booked? Surely they'd all need to be there? Why was it specifically Dave? It seems to point more at a guest spot to me. 

I mean it depends on the context in which they heard it and why (like if they were trying to secure an interview with Dave specifically, for example, it could come up). But otherwise it just seems a bit odd to me.

It’s not just Dave.  

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Oh yeah Pulp had no real involvement in the Britpop battle. But then neither did huge portions of the country. While it certainly had breakthrough appeal it was still a "music" thing. 

Common People was a phenomenon. I'd also say Parklife was at the time as well. Both were huge breakthrough hits. Parklife hasn't really had the staying power that Common People has though. (Mostly as was a sort of novelty track at the time and Blur had better, more credible if less successful in the UK, songs since).

I'd put Common People up there with Wonderwall or Don't Look Back In Anger to be honest. Even your gran knows it. 

I don't think it makes Pulp more or less likely to play either way. Just find it interesting how relative levels of "fame" can differ.

(And of course, a Glastonbury audience isn't really going to be made up of people who don't engage with music much)

My point with the Brit Pop battle is that it was plastered all over billboards, newspapers, magazines etc. Pushed way out of the usual spectrum of "average" music fans.

It's all anecdotal of course, but if we're talking about your nan and grandad knowing anyone, then I think Oasis would be the most well-known because of their public spats with the press etc, followed by Blur.

Park Life and Song 2. From FIFA alone, more ppl know Blur than Common People. It was the first successful music hit on a FIFA game.

On 6/3/2023 at 6:14 PM, parsonjack said:

Libertines subbed Florence in 2015 which I think was kept pretty quiet until the day 🤔

We knew about this some time before.  Someone told me walking up to Strummerville for Frank Turner and was surprised I hadn't heard.

16 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Common People Vs Blur’s best song. Who wins?

Blur.  Common People - although it became an anthem - isn't a great song IMO.  I reckon Pulp have 4-5 much better songs in their catalogue at least, they just didn't hit the Britpop zeitgeist as hard.  Best Pulp song v. best Blur song?  Really tough call.  Not sure I could even really choose my favourite from either band as they have loads of variety.  That's one of the reasons I put them above Oasis and all the other soundalikes from Britpop, who were one trick ponies.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

There is no evidence of anyone, just speculation.

Correct,  Churnups is clearly a dairy farm reference that some pulled out of their arse at the last second and no clue to the band whatsoever.  All the 36 pages of Sherlock-Holmesian deduction and reasoning is based on nothing but wild speculation, but is quite entertaining to read!

FWIW I'll be shocked if it isn't Pulp.  Long standing festival connection, the most glaring omission from the line up thus far, farewell tour, too big to be playing any of the other TBA slots (as The Park in 2011 crowd demonstrated).  It's got to be Pulp.

1 minute ago, Steel city camper said:

Is it definitely one of pulp blur or foos ?, could it be someone completely different like wet leg seeing as they where so popular last year and where in need of a bigger stage , unless I've read wrong their free all weekend 

Wet Leg don’t have 75 minutes worth of material 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Steel city camper said:

Is it definitely one of pulp blur or foos ?, could it be someone completely different like wet leg seeing as they where so popular last year and where in need of a bigger stage , unless I've read wrong their free all weekend 

Pardon the pun, but if it's Wet leg that would be a rather damp squib.

I'm just glad Black Keys said they'd never play Glastonbury again, as that would most likely have been another name in the hat given they are playing London 2 days earlier and don't have another gig until a week later in Berlin, and that third up would be about where they'd play normally and they are very similar musically to the bands that follow them and also a 2 piece like Royal Blood.

4 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

and that third up would be about where they'd play normally

Precisely something that would to my mind pretty much rule them out anyway, can't see why an act would get announced as a secret set for a slot they'd be playing regardless

8 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

My point with the Brit Pop battle is that it was plastered all over billboards, newspapers, magazines etc. Pushed way out of the usual spectrum of "average" music fans.

It's all anecdotal of course, but if we're talking about your nan and grandad knowing anyone, then I think Oasis would be the most well-known because of their public spats with the press etc, followed by Blur.

Park Life and Song 2. From FIFA alone, more ppl know Blur than Common People. It was the first successful music hit on a FIFA game.

Internationally sure, but video game players are still a tiny proportion of the population.

Yes, Blur vs Oasis was a big thing, but a few songs managed to break through even past that: Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, Common People and Parklife. But Parklife sort of faded away a bit. Hell maybe throw in Sit Down as well. 

I agree as a band name, Blur are hugely well known, probably more so. But they're generally known in the context of "vs Oasis".

That's why it's weird. All the following can be true at the same time:

Blur are more well known than Pulp

Jarvis is more well known than Damon

Common People is more well known than Song 2 or Parklife

(That's all just the UK - internationally is completely differently and Blur are much, much bigger when you factor in the US)

59 minutes ago, Joey01 said:

What was the specific wording they used? That festival just finished the weekend just gone so if it is FF and they were waiting for that to close to announce them for exclusivity reasons, we might get an announcement this week?

Rock Am Ring had them as a european festival headline exclusive

Lets be honest here - can anywhere in Europe have Foos not headlining other than Glasto.... i think not.

Edited by gfa

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Really?!

Yeah the whole Jacko/Brits thing and the fact he's been adopted by the BBC to become a defacto national treasure. 

(And, I suspect, because he's a bit more odd looking and memorable)

And to be clear - I mean known as a celeb, not known for their solo music work

Edited by DeanoL

24 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Correct,  Churnups is clearly a dairy farm reference that some pulled out of their arse at the last second and no clue to the band whatsoever.  All the 36 pages of Sherlock-Holmesian deduction and reasoning is based on nothing but wild speculation, but is quite entertaining to read!

This is exactly where I've landed. It's a dairy farm reference and a play on the phrase 'a turnup for the books', which is exactly how you might describe a big surprise act on the Pyramid.

But it's much more fun to pull stupid theories together I'll admit.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The Foos hotel rumour removed (and I remain skeptical, because I remember a similar ‘Eminem hotel booked’ rumour last year that lead to nothing) and the tenuous ‘Churnups’/Grohl band called Churn that we’ve never heard of before now, Pulp are the obvious act through and through. Noticeably absent from the lineup despite having a great relationship with the festival, not averse to doing the whole secret set thing, bits of info that they were playing before the lineup was announced and put a downer on the whole thing, and big and worth making a fuss over/having a fake name but not so big that it’s gonna cause mayhem come show time. 

I’ve flip flopped on it, but I’m going all in on it being Pulp now (until any other info comes to dampen that). 

If it were from someone else I’d hesitate but Joey ts info on this forum has been absolutely on the money 

2 hours ago, Franco Baresi said:

Do you know this? (or fairly confident)?

It would make my festival if true, but Nick Banks' tweet has made me doubt it.

No, I don't know.

But it's Pulp.

I'd say don't read into Nick Banks' tweet (for now).

Edited by briddj

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah the whole Jacko/Brits thing and the fact he's been adopted by the BBC to become a defacto national treasure. 

(And, I suspect, because he's a bit more odd looking and memorable)

And to be clear - I mean known as a celeb, not known for their solo music work

He's also less famously a mardy prick than Damon.

1 minute ago, AVALON.G said:

I think the arguing over which is the best known Britpop band should be another thread

Because it's interrupting people going "It's X" "no it's Y" over and over?

We'll happily pipe down if some actual interesting info comes along but there's not much else going on. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nerraw2525 said:

I'm guessing Pulp myself but this is the problem with secret sets. It's great fun to speculate before the festival but I cannot emphasise the disappointment when a band that you don't like walks on that stage in the secret slot. Happened to me when I dragged my arse all the way to the Park, pass multiple good bands, for the secret slot and out walked ******* Biffy Clyro 😂

that was the year The Strokes rumour was going around.... 2010?