Williams Green

4AssedMonkey

I'm not opposed to change - if the stage goes, I'm quite sure that the bands that would have played Williams Green will appear elsewhere.  It's more important to me to have a pleasant experience seeing these bands, than to uphold the tradition of having one particular stage.  Will miss WG though!  
WG, BBC Introducing, and to an extent The Rabbit Hole all host similar acts - bands that aren't quite ready for the Park -  and maybe it makes sense to try and synergize this into something new.  When I think about which areas need shaking up, WG wasn't first on my list I have to admit - Silver Hayes is. 

25 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I'm not opposed to change - if the stage goes, I'm quite sure that the bands that would have played Williams Green will appear elsewhere.  It's more important to me to have a pleasant experience seeing these bands, than to uphold the tradition of having one particular stage.  Will miss WG though!  
WG, BBC Introducing, and to an extent The Rabbit Hole all host similar acts - bands that aren't quite ready for the Park -  and maybe it makes sense to try and synergize this into something new.  When I think about which areas need shaking up, WG wasn't first on my list I have to admit - Silver Hayes is. 

I really loved the West Dance tent, in what is now Silver Hayes, pre 2008, if I remember right they had really good new bands, usually electronic, but less dancy during the day before turning to dance music in the evening. I thought in then turned into the Queens Head then Williams Green, but might be wrong, but they were the venues I got most excited about as they were playing the sort f music I was looking for. I wonder is they could turn back to that type of tent in Silver Hayes rather than being purely dance music, it would be nice to have a bit of variety in that huge area, for us oldies, looking for something new!

I just remembered I saw 65daysofstatic there, wow they were ace, that was a pretty good year (2013) In WG...

William's Green

Friday

Guilty Pleasures
Mount Kimbie
Bobby Tank (DJ)
Fenech-Soler
MS MR
65daysofstatic
The Black Angels
Tribes
Savages
The 1975
Pinkunoizu
Parlour Flames
The Rainband
Laurence Fox

Saturday

Motown Party
New Untouchables Mod Club
The Sheepdogs
Willy Mason
Lewis Watson
Josh Record
Martha and Rufus Wainwright
Revere
Half Moon Run
Swim Deep
Treetop Flyers
Drenge
The Others
Scott & Charlene's Wedding

Sunday

Sink the Pink and Georgia Lewis
Cover to Cover
The Beat
Department S
Public Service Broadcasting
Everything Everything
New Build
Barbarossa
The Vaccines
Palma Violets
The View
Ben Caplan
Ulrich Schnauss
Carrie Tree

Edited by dingbat2

12 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I just remembered I saw 65daysofstatic there, wow they were ace, that was a pretty good year (2013) In WG...

William's Green

Friday

Guilty Pleasures
Mount Kimbie
Bobby Tank (DJ)
Fenech-Soler
MS MR
65daysofstatic
The Black Angels
Tribes
Savages
The 1975
Pinkunoizu
Parlour Flames
The Rainband

Laurence Fox

Saturday

Motown Party
The Sheepdogs
Willy Mason
Lewis Watson
Josh Record
Revere
Half Moon Run
Swim Deep
Treetop Flyers
Drenge
The Others

Sunday

Cover to Cover
The Beat
Department S
Everything Everything
New Build
Barbarossa
The Vaccines
Palma Violets
The View
Ben Caplan
Ulrich Schnauss
Carrie Tree

lol

forgot this muppet did 'music'

Edited by scatteredscreens

14 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

William's Green

Friday

Guilty Pleasures
Mount Kimbie
Bobby Tank (DJ)
Fenech-Soler
MS MR
65daysofstatic
The Black Angels
Tribes
Savages
The 1975
Pinkunoizu
Parlour Flames
The Rainband
Laurence Fox

Saturday

Motown Party
The Sheepdogs
Willy Mason
Lewis Watson
Josh Record
Revere
Half Moon Run
Swim Deep
Treetop Flyers
Drenge
The Others

Sunday

Cover to Cover
The Beat
Department S
Everything Everything
New Build
Barbarossa
The Vaccines
Palma Violets
The View
Ben Caplan
Ulrich Schnauss
Carrie Tree

Perfect list to demonstrate how WG really isn't quite like any other stage, for me at least. The Rabbit Hole is probably the closest for me, but it's half the size and has nowhere near the same 'size' of up and coming (and some pretty established, but more niche) artists, certainly not during the day.

I adore Williams Green (have never been confident on the presence or absence of the apostrophe as I've seen it with and without on official comms!), and would very much lament its demise. It's great that it's not relatively hugely popular after Thursday night, because people who make the effort to watch bands there really want to be there and haven't just 'stopped' on their way somewhere else.

Everything Everything's Jonathan Higgs completely losing it during the a live rendition of No Reptiles, just a couple of days after the parent album release, astonished that the entire, packed crowd were word-perfect, will stick in my musical memory bank forever. So many amazing sets in there.

I once wobbled over the prospect of going WG > Park > WG for back-to-back sets on the Sunday of 2016's Somme-like horror. For a fleeting second I considered sacking off C. Duncan on Park and just waiting for the next WG set. I went to the Park.

Ben 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I don’t think it does ‘require’ planning for tents 🙈

I have just been involved with a licensing application for an events venue (outdoor weddings across multiple fields where the marquees, bars, catering etc can move around anywhere within a defined boundry.) 

I don’t know anything about the current Glasto application, don’t even know whether it’s a planning application or a license application. However I do know that…

A) They need planning permission for the use of the site as an events venue. I know very little about planning permission, but it’s my understanding that this will require detailed permanent infrastructure planning, but not as much detail on temporary infrastructure. It will also need to define the types of activity occurring within certain boundaries. (Market area, stage area, late night spot, camping etc)

And B) separately, they need a permanent license application. The license will need to indicate what licensable activities are occurring where and when. But these will be set activities within a boundary, so think ‘in this field there will be alcohol sold, live music and late night refreshment.’ Not ‘You will have x tent right on this spot.’ 

Of course, I am not the sharpest tool in the box and none of this is my field, so I could be wrong. 

That's basically spot on.

The tent itself will be categorised in the licence but it specifically states that the stages can be interchangeable. (Except for stages 1-3) so they can move stuff about easily enough without needing planning. 

E.g. BBC introducing shifting this year

The event management plan that's submitted each year in advance of the festival will need to contain a detailed location plan of each venue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, leath02 said:

I mean there was the whole situation around the Arcadia crane wasnt there 

Only because they wanted permission to leave the giant base there outside of the festival’s agreed build and break period - all year round! 

6 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I can't see them just not having a venue of some sort on that spot though - even if it's just for late night stuff and smaller acts through the day.  Unless it's evidence of cost cutting and something had to give?

Maybe moving Leftfield back and rehashing the Glade/Leftfield area?

Tbh they could possibly move a lot of it INTO the left field space. 

Left field is empty on Thursday and closes at 10. It's in a space that could be configured to be more easily closed off if needed. 

Keep whatever tent is bigger, save yourself the cost of a tent and PA for minimal loss of entertainment.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeyT said:

Charging everyone an extra £50 on their ticket which brings in an extra £7million (based on 140k tickets) only to start taking away venues would sting a bit.

agree but then would charging £70 extra and not removing it sting more ? theres a weird balance ... hopefully not a slippery slope , and it ends up just not being open on the Thursday 

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Charging everyone an extra £50 on their ticket which brings in an extra £7million (based on 140k tickets) only to start taking away venues would sting a bit.

If it's counter acted by making better use of the rest of the stages I don't think it's that bad. 

There's a lot of infrastructure that's just not being used for a significant chunk of festival time. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

So, heard a rumour this morning that the William's Green stage will be no more in 2023.  No suggestion that it's being replaced or revamped - just gone.  Anyone know more??

Really hope this isn't true. Williams green is easily my favourite stage at Glastonbury

Every year without fail they have acts that are brilliant and always play bigger stages in later years, whoever does the lineup must be amazing at spotting up and coming acts

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

agree but then would charging £70 extra and not removing it sting more ? theres a weird balance ... hopefully not a slippery slope , and it ends up just not being open on the Thursday 

There's surely got to be something in that space, no?

There are quite a lot of traders in that area and GFL won't want to lose them, but if there are traders but no 'stage' etc, then traffic will be limited to those heading for Acoustic or round the corner to T&C. It would be weirdly empty...

Lots of speculation about Leftfield returning to be next to the TB Tower again - I think that would be a shame, as having LF right in the heart of the festival in its current position cements its importance to the festival., so I don't reckon they'll move it.

Ben

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

There's surely got to be something in that space, no?

There are quite a lot of traders in that area and GFL won't want to lose them, but if there are traders but no 'stage' etc, then traffic will be limited to those heading for Acoustic or round the corner to T&C. It would be weirdly empty...

Lots of speculation about Leftfield returning to be next to the TB Tower again - I think that would be a shame, as having LF right in the heart of the festival in its current position cements its importance to the festival., so I don't reckon they'll move it.

Ben

yeah would think so ... an open air stage would suit 

Whilst this would be pretty gutting, as WG is pretty much my favourite stage and the Thursday nights I’ve spent there have been easily the best nights I’ve had, something about it does need to change. 

Thursday used to be quite a chilled day, not too busy. Now it’s like the first day of the festival proper, and it seems like 90% of people are on site. 

Wednesday now is what Thursday used to be like. 

So putting acts as popular as Bastille and Mel C on in a small capacity tent really was a shit idea. 

I hope WG stays, but also that they go back to smaller secret acts, or maybe have an alternative secret set venue for Thu night. 

Edited by wilko8

5 hours ago, Neil said:

never bothered with it, cos i knew it would just be rammed, and a rammed hoit tent isn't my favourite thing.

It's the exact opposite. Think I was one of about 20 people watching Sinead oBrien last year, more for nilufur yanya (but still only talking about 100, absolutely insane for me) porridge radio was getting busy but not full, and yard act was a full tent but not rammed.

Its an amazing stage. Some of my favourites from over the years would be Scroobius Pip, BC Camplight, the Sheepdogs, Big Moon, Sunflower Bean. And how could I forgot - King Gizzard!

Without doubt my favourite stage

Edited by BBC7BBCHEAVEN
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The Glade, Genosys and Williams Green. That's three fan favourite venues lost over two festivals. If the replacements for Glade and Genosys are anything to go by, I wouldn't be too confident in a new and improved Williams Green 

genosys should be back though I thought ?

5 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, it got out of hand. There was lots of frustrated people as they blocked off the route from the bottom of the Acoustic field. I can’t see they’d have enough space in the existing area to accommodate more people. 

Yep I wonder if they intend keeping any of these bigger acts whether they would move them to one of the bigger stages. There’s a few in SEC that could better accommodate and have the advantage of better and easier traffic management and being open air stages. As I think if you resolve the Thursday issue then Williams Green is a perfectly fine little stage. 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I think area will definitely still be there but maybe without the venue, bit of a weird thing to do but could just leave it as an area to chill out a bit.

20220626_193919.thumb.jpg.92ab735e3249a39111ce29fdd6549af1.jpg

To be fair if they put lots more seating around it would probably be quite a popular place to eat especially in a muddy year. 

46 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The Glade, Genosys and Williams Green. That's three fan favourite venues lost over two festivals. If the replacements for Glade and Genosys are anything to go by, I wouldn't be too confident in a new and improved Williams Green 

I'm pretty sure the Big Green MonsterTM is back this year. And The Glade is an interesting one. They clearly wanted a bigger stage for the Glade - I was close to it at one point last year and it was rammo right back to the Railway Line and into the Spike, a crowd that the old Glade couldn't have accomodated. Obviously I loved the four-cornered, pristine sound system of the old Glade, but I quite like the concept of new one - gives that area more of a 'prestige' stage. And the Glade Dome was great - psytrance in there after Bicep was fantastic!

Ben

• Like 1