Williams Green

4AssedMonkey

A real shame but the Thursday became out of control. Mostly caused by the people sunbathing outside it causing complete bottlenecks. 

Hope we get something similar for the smaller acts you can catch over the weekend. Saw Sprints, Sinead O'Brien, WH Lung & Sorry play to small crowds there in '22.

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Bad news tbh, the whole Thursday secret set thing had got out of hand but it was a good little stage to catch some guitary acts.

Wednesday and Thursday was becoming unplayable though. Last few fests half the festival has been sat in Williams Green. 

What was there before Williams Green? Just a space and a bar according to this?

http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/2010-large-version-glasto.html

Edited by The Nal

Oh no, I kinda liked the William's Green area, was one of my favourites. Did NOT like the whole Thursday thing though, had already decided to give that a miss, regardless of who popped up. 

The information is vague though, 'No Williams Green' could mean so many things, as pointed out, no tent... Or maybe just no Williams Green Thursday TBC, given the meetings with the council. 

Or maybe just no WIlliams Green 😞 If that's the case, I hope it's because they have something new planned 🙂 What was the last major new area? Glastonbury On Sea? 

I spent an entire afternoon in whatever was there before it.

They had back to back ska bands on (memory is hazy mind!)

Must have been 08 or 09. Vaguely remember it being a pretty large tent where Williams Green is now.

*I could be massively wrong on every part of this story due to father time and drugs.

2 minutes ago, moogster said:

I found it sad that  a lot of the +/- daytime weekend gigs were so poorly attended... Or maybe just the ones I went to and I have crap taste... 

The thursday thing should just stop, or with less hype programming.

That makes sense to me … nice cool tent for shelter from the sun on the wed and Thurs … and music Fri onwards …. Removing it just makes other areas busier 

2 minutes ago, moogster said:

I found it sad that  a lot of the +/- daytime weekend gigs were so poorly attended... Or maybe just the ones I went to and I have crap taste... 

I think it would be a hard sell to cut out the aspect that is actually popular at William's Green in favour of, as you've pointed out, the daytime gigs which clearly don't bring in much of a crowd.

I actually think the Thursday night was fine post Mel C last year, not too busy and we had a good night at Guilty Pleasures with it being quite easy to get in and out of the tent.

Problem with WG is it lacks a coherent identity beyond just being another stage with music. Great for the occasional great act but it could benefit from having some kind of theme and I'd argue its the perfect spot to do something new at the festival without compromising more popular areas.

3 minutes ago, moogster said:

If you stick up / coming artists on it throughout the day on Thursday it makes so much more sense.

It's a busy area and would give decent exposure to those who wouldn't have previously had it.

Brain dead to stick the type of artists that gridlock the entire area.

Saturday 2019 was one of my favorite days at the festival, spent most of the day there seeing Squid, Pip Blom, Fontaines, Sports Team, Snapped Ankles then heading over for Jungle at WH back fir Shame then Hot Chip to end the day! 

Was the hottest I think I've ever been but still a brilliant day and others have said it's a great place for up and coming bands so a shame to see it's going!

3 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

Saturday 2019 was one of my favorite days at the festival, spent most of the day there seeing Squid, Pip Blom, Fontaines, Sports Team, Snapped Ankles then heading over for Jungle at WH back fir Shame then Hot Chip to end the day! 

I also saw three of them and later that night Deptford Northern Soul Club too. 

Great stage and a good one for jumping off to other acts on the clashfindet