The most you’ve ever paid for a gig?

Hugh Jass II

REM, about £120 for a ticket from a tout for Hammersmith Apollo, I think in about 2005 maybe? Didn't get tickets as sold out in the normal manner. Saw them I think about 10 times from 95-2008 ish.

As eluded to elsewhere, would pay whatever it takes if they were to reform. Can't see it happening though.

Collapse in to Now was a really good record in my view, but you could hear them borrowing from earlier stuff all over that record. Still, that and Accelerate were a great way to bow out after the rather crap (on the whole) Around the Sun.

What a band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Seen this on the Madonna presale just now.

A69A57C0-5C0F-4430-A2E3-CEDE953F7742.png

They're now being sold as 'Platinum tickets' for over £700 a pop.

Makes the £145 Block 409 row A ones I turned down earlier look like a bargain!

Edited by doogie

3 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Agreed, great live band. 1st saw them on the Fables tour at Hammersmith Palais in 1985, lastly a couple of times in 2005. Favourite time was probably on the Farm in 1999.

Oh man, would have LOVED to see them that early in their career

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Likewise. They were my first ever gig as a teen in 1995. But would have loved to have seen them sort of pre-Green. Atleast I saw them with Bill Berry once. 

That said, their live show improved a lot when Bill Rieflin started playing drums. In my opinion anyway.

47 minutes ago, doogie said:

If I'd have been offered that I might have paid it, but she might be rubbish so I'm glad I didn't. The only ones left were £400 when I got to the end of the queue. 

50 minutes ago, Quark said:

Can't bothered working back, bit if you're taking about REM, saw them in Liverpool in 1984, when they were still fresh and interesting.

Murmur is the only really good material they've ever produced.

1 hour ago, doogie said:

Is that £800 ticket surge pricing or the standard price for that block? 😳

Edited by Pipine

27 minutes ago, Pipine said:

Is that £800 ticket surge pricing or the standard price for that block? 😳

They don't call it surge pricing, but the standard ticket price for that block is £50 to £145.

Ticketmaster effectively use surge pricing by redesignating tickets as 'Platinum' even when they're not particularly good.

Looking at my records it's £96 for a single day at Mad Cool Festival in 2018, which I booked after Arctic Monkeys' UK tour sold out and I decided to use that as an excuse for a first ever flight on an EasyJet package deal that turned out to be a lot more expensive than it should really have been given I booked it one month before.

£85 for Muse at London Stadium in 2019 is perhaps the biggest for an out-and-out concert. Foos last summer would've matched it but the shows were cancelled. Muse's MK Bowl show in June at £95 would top that, though given I live nearer to Milton Keynes, I'm not spending £20-25 on trains to London. It does irritate me that Glasgow is about £20 cheaper, although still less the $165 (£144 at current rates) quoted for GA at pretty much all the upcoming Muse US shows I looked at.

Paying over £100 for a single show is a number I'm yet to cross, though admittedly the threshold has moved given it was once "... hmmm, do I really wanna pay £75?"

12 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Looking at my records it's £96 for a single day at Mad Cool Festival in 2018, which I booked after Arctic Monkeys' UK tour sold out and I decided to use that as an excuse for a first ever flight on an EasyJet package deal that turned out to be a lot more expensive than it should really have been given I booked it one month before.

£85 for Muse at London Stadium in 2019 is perhaps the biggest for an out-and-out concert. Foos last summer would've matched it but the shows were cancelled. Muse's MK Bowl show in June at £95 would top that, though given I live nearer to Milton Keynes, I'm not spending £20-25 on trains to London. It does irritate me that Glasgow is about £20 cheaper, although still less the $165 (£144 at current rates) quoted for GA at pretty much all the upcoming Muse US shows I looked at.

Paying over £100 for a single show is a number I'm yet to cross, though admittedly the threshold has moved given it was once "... hmmm, do I really wanna pay £75?"

What are your records - i'm intrigued. I used to record everything i went to but stopped a while back

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

What are your records - i'm intrigued. I used to record everything i went to but stopped a while back

I make it sound grander than it is. I just checked my e-mail receipts for what I suspected was the priciest.

I actually thought my Mad Cool 2018 ticket had broken the £100 barrier in fairness so was surprised to see it didn't.

• Like 1

2003(4?) paid £100+ for a £20 The Darkness at Folkestone Leas Cliffe Hall ticket on eBay. Totally worth it.

£200 odd in 2013 for a third row seat for Rush at O2 London on their Clockwork Angels tour (last UK tour, got some exclusive tat/gubbins with that as well). Totally worth it.

2023 have paid almost £140 x 2 for both nights at The O2 London for Roger Waters, one of which is good (4th/5th,row good) while the other looks like it will be a back of the head from a distance view.

Guess it'll be 2033 when I splurge out again then (tbh I think I maybe done at current prices plus getting on a bit for all the travel. Ho hum. I've had a good run).

10 hours ago, moogster said:

I'm guessing about 100 quids X 2 to see two Prince shows in one evening . In a relatively small venue. Very worth it. 

I just looked up what I paid, 377 Swiss Francs for two in Montreux 2013 (apparently 332 quid) 

Also 287 for two cure tickets following year off stubhub for Albert Hall (third party) 

4 hours ago, FrancisH said:

Was very close to dropping a £100+ each on a few tickets for Bob Dylan at the Apollo last year and to this day still a bit annoyed at myself that I didn't but I was quite skint at the time, so highest is probably about £70 for Paul Simon at Manchester arena which was totally worth it, he seemed to play forever in a 26 song mega set.

Sorry dont mean to rub salt in but………..it was worth it. I had doubts but it was fabulous. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I just looked up what I paid, 377 Swiss Francs for two in Montreux 2013 (apparently 332 quid) 

Also 287 for two cure tickets following year off stubhub for Albert Hall (third party) 

2013 too and I went digging and paid exactly 100 Euros for each show. I guess with inflation it would be much higher now though. Venue of 1500 . I am pretty sure we were on the left end side of that pic on the balcony for one of the shows! 😮

dow-20130811-paradiso-amsterdam-show_2-p

6 minutes ago, moogster said:

2013 too and I went digging and paid exactly 100 Euros for each show. I guess with inflation it would be much higher now though. Venue of 1500 . I am pretty sure we were on the left end side of that pic on the balcony for one of the shows! 😮

dow-20130811-paradiso-amsterdam-show_2-p

Wish we had bought tickets when he came to Manchester but it was expensive and he was being very unpredictable some nights doing a full show, others just a few songs and I just couldn’t justify the cost at the time. A big regret now though! 

7 hours ago, BenG92 said:

I usually don't like the "born in the wrong generation" shtick but seeing people see Zeppelin for what works out at about £15 today is changing my mind on that

I used to think about this alot when I was at Uni as in my old man's day he got the likes of The Stones, The Who, Wings, etc playing for nowt at his student union where as we got the Teletubbies and Timmy Fucking Mallet!

£200ish for 2 tickets to see Tom Waits on the Glitter and Doom tour in Edinburgh, in a 'may never have another chance' impulse. A pearl of an evening, including Cemetery Polka. Cheers Tom.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BenG92 said:

The Danes are so polite that one of us could walk out from standing 3 rows back from the front, get some beers and walk them back in without a single issue. Maybe DMB fans are also a factor but that positive vibe really added to the night.

No word for please though. Apparently. Never actually checked but was told this by different Danes. One reckoned that it wasn't needed as the please is implied. So if you are asking someone for something then of course you are asking politely and respectfully because why wouldn't you. The other reckoned that Danes are just rude.