eFests Album of the Year 2022

Hugh Jass II

Alright, not gonna be able to whittle this down any more. In no order:

1. Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia

2. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms And Lava

3. Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers

4. Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation

5. The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention

Track: Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia

Show: Turnstile @ Rock Werchter

Top 5 you say...OK.

1. Elvis Costello & The Imposters - The Boy Named If

2. Wilco - Cruel Country

3. Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band - Dear Scott

4. Father John Misty - Chloe & The Next 20th Century

5. Spiritualised - Everything Was Beautiful

Gig: I mean how can anyone beat Macca on the Pyramid. Unless you're Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds owning All Points East. Nick it is. 

On 12/17/2022 at 10:04 PM, fantomas said:

1. Rachika Nayar - Heaven Come Crashing

2. Plastic Mermaids - It’s Not Comfortable to Grow

3. Dead Cross - II

4. Lucrecia - ¡Ay! 

5. Father John Misty - Chloë and the Next 20th Century

I’ll second that Nick Cave at APE was gig of the year!

Notable album mention to Pusha T but not changing my list.

Albums

1. Billy Woods - Aethiopes
  2. Sudan Archives - Natural Brown Prom Queen
  3. Black Country, New Road - Ants from up here
  4. Kendrick Lamar - Mr Morale and the big steppers
  5. Jeshi - Universal Credit

Honourable mentions: The Beths, Black Thought, JID, Beyonce, The Comet is Coming, Jockstrap, SAULT (11), MAVI, Open Mike Eagle, Kilo Kish

Gigs

1. Kendrick @ Glasto 
  2. Little Simz @ Glasto 
  3. Olivia Rodrigo @ Glasto 
  4. Injury Reserve @ Pitchfork fest
  5. Gorillaz @ Primavera (weekend 1)

Songs

1. Pinkpantheress - Picture in my mind
  2. Kendrick Lamar - Father time 
  3. Charli XCX - Used to know me 
  4. BCNR - The place where he inserted the blade
  5. Rosalia  - SAOKO

Edited by Haan

This was much harder and may change by the 31st but I feel pretty confident about 4/5 being secure here so will contribute

1. RENAISSANCE - Beyoncé (honestly do not see an album this decade beating it, monumental and historic imo)

2. Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You - Big Thief (maybe their magnum opus, the thesis of the band's project across this sprawling beaut)

3. MOTOMAMI - Rosalia (she's SO good and her gig at the o2 was insane, the farm needs her next year)

4. Skinty Fia - Fontaines D.C. (s/o to the NPR versions of Big Shot, Couple Across the Way, and the more traditional Irish elements on the opener.... mind blowing!)

5. CRASH - Charli XCX (one of my most listened to of the year, but aside from that, has not a dud song, new pop highs!!)

GIGS:  Lorde @ Roundhouse // Arcade Fire @ KOKO  // Jessie Ware @ Primavera // Wolf Alice @ O2 Academy Bristol // Lady Gaga @ Spurs // Rosalia @ O2 Arena // Foals @ Olympia

Honourable Mentions (and like seriously could make a claim that any of these are top 5, what a year!!)

Ethel Cain / Preacher's Daughter --- the 1975 / BFIAFL --- Tove Lo / Dirt Femme --- F+TM / Dance Fever --- TS / Midnights --- Foals / Life is Yours --- Jockstrap / ILYJB --- BCNR / AFUT --- CMAT / IMWKIBD --- Kendrick / Mr Morale --- Maggie Rogers / Surrender --- MUNA / Self-Titled --- and so many more like.... Dry Cleaning, Julia Jacklin, Weyes Blood, Rina Sawayama, Sudan Archies, FKA Twigs, Yard Act, AM...........

🙂 love this thread and year-end stuff, genuinely love seeing people's recs and rankings and then finding more to listen to in an already stacked year. thanks all and @Hugh Jass II for organising...

• Upvote 1

Tried to not just pick my 5 most listened to albums and choose from a mixture of enjoyment, overall quality and how much I anticipate listening to it going forward.

1. Midnights (3am version) - Taylor Swift

2. Hold The Girl - Rina Sawayama

3. Asphalt Meadows - Death Cab For Cutie

4. The Price of Life - Bob Vylan

5. Palomino - First Aid Kit

Also wanted to give honourable mentions to Can You Afford to Lose Me - Holly Humberstone (only one song from the album came out this year so just didn't feel right to count it), The Loneliest Time - Carly Rae Jepsen, Wet Leg - Wet Leg, FTHC - Frank Turner, The Theory of Whatever - Jamie T, Actual Life 3 - Fred Again, Songs Written for Piano - Katie Gregson-MacLeod, Cub - Wunderhorse, Supernova - Nova Twins.

Song of the year goes to Simulation Swarm - Big Thief

Honourable mentions to You're On Your Own Kid - Taylor Swift, Foxglove Through The Clearcut - Death Cab For Cutie, Can You Afford to Lose Me - Holly Humberstone, Teal - Wunderhorse

Gig of the year was probably Olivia Rodrigo at the Eventim Apollo

Holly Humberstone at Kentish Town Forum, Phoebe Bridgers at Brixton and Wet Leg at Rock City all deserve mentions too though

• Like 1

1. Jack White - Fear Of The Dawn
2. Everything Everything - Raw Data Feel
3. Paolo Nutini - Last Night In The Bittersweet
4. Foals - Life Is Yours
5. Arcade Fire - WE

A few that narrowly missed out include Sports Team, The 1975, Fontaines DC, The Wombats.

For tracks, in no particular order

Paramore - This Is Why
Arctic Monkeys - Body Paint
Harry Styles - As It Was
Foals - 2am
Gorillaz - Cracker Island

Very strong year overall in my opinion, a lot better than 2021.

Edited by Diamond24

Haven't bought that many albums this year, but a fan of the following.

For me the 3rd Fontaines album head and shoulders above anything else I listened to all year.

1. Fontaines DC - Skinty Fia

2. Suede - Autofiction

3. The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

4. Just Mustard - Heart Under

5. Arcade Fire - WE

Edited by ericlered

I have spent far too long agonising about this and advent albums did push a lot of new stuff my way that perhaps if I had heard them earlier in the year they may well have pushed their way in but I have decided to just go for the albums that I have enjoyed the most for most of the year. 

Kathryn Williams - Night Drives

Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl

First Aid Kit - Palomino

Loyle Carner - Hugo

Gabriels - Angels and Queens

It has been a really good year for music and any other year Kae Tempest, Little Simz, Big Moon, Danger Mouse & Black Thought, Rosalia, King Princess, Fontaines DC,  Father John Misty, The Smile, Bob Vylan, Suede and Lizzo could have been in there. In fact ask me on another day and maybe they would be but the deadline is closing in and I thought I best write something down!

Edited by gigpusher