Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

Would GnR be least popular booking of recent times? Not seen anyone who's gassed about prospect. 

Not even close.  They’re a massive band, they’ve got plenty of big songs.  As always efests is not the ideal survey audience 

Just now, sisco said:

Not even close.  They’re a massive band, they’ve got plenty of big songs.  As always efests is not the ideal survey audience 

If we based everything on here then Fred Again…, Taylor Swift and Wolf Alice would be the headliners. There’s always going to be a big crossover with certain headliners (Kendrick, Radiohead, Swift etc) but there’s also plenty of acts who people generally aren’t as bothered about who go on to pull big crowds (Eilish, Sheeran, The Who). Guns N Roses will probably have the smallest crowd of the three headliners but it’ll still be bigger than Kendrick’s and maybe even Billie Eilish’s too.

3 minutes ago, sisco said:

Of course, but also speaking to mates (aware annecdotal evidence not good evidence). 

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

it’ll still be bigger than Kendrick’s

Interesting! I would never have said that but again I guess that's just my perception of who's bigger. 

2 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

Would GnR be least popular booking of recent times? Not seen anyone who's gassed about prospect. 

I think they'd pack out Pyramid field for sure, but I think there will be a lot of people who only know the big tunes and go because they're intrigued by the booking. And I am not sure those people will be particularly blown away by Axl's typical antics or shite vocals.

I mean look at Macca, lots of people said he lost the crowd around them just for playing Wings tunes. Imagine that but Axl turns up one hour late to stage.

9 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

I think they'd pack out Pyramid field for sure, but I think there will be a lot of people who only know the big tunes and go because they're intrigued by the booking. And I am not sure those people will be particularly blown away by Axl's typical antics or shite vocals.

I mean look at Macca, lots of people said he lost the crowd around them just for playing Wings tunes. Imagine that but Axl turns up one hour late to stage.

Felt like it took a lot longer for Macca to turn up 😉 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Hey look everyone!

Skip doesn't like something!

An opinion on an event I've been to (only because I got paid a lot) and found to be an absolute disgrace, is kind of fair enough.

Guess I've got this weird idea that opinions are part of why message boards exist.

Just now, Skip997 said:

An opinion on an event I've been to (only because I got paid a lot) and found to be an absolute disgrace, is kind of fair enough.

Guess I've got this weird idea that opinions are part of why message boards exist.

They don't exist for you to be miserable on all the time though.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Harsh though. Maybe you just went at completely the wrong time in your life, but L+R has its place for kids just out of GCSE's to cut loose without parents and experience a proper music festival, before moving onto the big stuff like Glastonbury. This was my exact trajectory.

2 hours ago, topmarksbri said:

Suspect it depends a lot on where you ask.

The answer on here will be different to twitter, which will be different to facebook, all of which will be very different from a straw poll at the festival itself.

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Harsh though. Maybe you just went at completely the wrong time in your life, but L+R has its place for kids just out of GCSE's to cut loose without parents and experience a proper music festival, before moving onto the big stuff like Glastonbury. This was my exact trajectory.

That's true. I went when I was 21 and felt too old to be there.

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm not so sure this year. Had they got a big rap name like Travis Scott or Kendrick or a pop act like Paramore, then maybe. It will probably sell out eventually, partly because of what it represents for 16-25 year olds over the bank holiday weekend, but I don't think it will be an instant sell out based upon that first announcement. 

I'm not criticising the festival, btw. They've gone in a different direction over the past ten years or so based upon the demand, and that's absolutely fine. Reading was my first festival back in 2000 and the only resemblance between now and then is the name, the city and that they still have yellow posters. But I'm cool with that. Life evolves, and so must we.

I mean if Rage had just postponed I doubt The Killers are there. Add in MCR and Paramore then you wouldve had people screaming it being the best set of headliners. But alas Billie mightve cost a bit so you settle for less.

20 minutes ago, therefused said:

I think Guns n Roses have basically been on time for the past few years since the original lineup got back together, seems to be (hopefully) a thing of the past

Yeah think there may have been a few instances when they fell on old habits again but for the most part they’ve been pretty punctual for their shows since Slash and Duff came back. They’re already gonna be getting a shorter set than they’re used to playing at Glastonbury so no room for them to be taking the piss and turning up late. 

32 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I mean if Rage had just postponed I doubt The Killers are there. Add in MCR and Paramore then you wouldve had people screaming it being the best set of headliners. But alas Billie mightve cost a bit so you settle for less.

RATM would have looked even stranger in 2023's lineup than they did on this years. Not sure how true it is, but the rumour is Green Day were booked and bailed. Although more "pop" than Rage, they also would have looked a little out of place on that current poster. It is what it is. It's not for me these days.