Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

21 minutes ago, clasher said:

Huge irony in Turner winning the album of the year award for AM, talking about rock music making a comeback then proceeding to deliver 2 albums fit for no more than background music for an arsty cafe in covent garden.

Edited by JoeyT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Huge irony in Turner winning the album of the year award for AM, talking about rock music making a comeback then proceeding to deliver 2 albums fit for no more than background music for an arsty cafe in covent garden.

Also bless the rest of the band they just seem embarrassed by him. 

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I think they book more acts than they need to give them flexibility when stuff happens. For any band with any sort of production, you're not going to be able to get them to play at even a few months notice. Not unless you just so happen to drop on with a gap in the tour schedule and no-one (including essential crew) has other plans during that gap. That they pulled that off with The Libertines was a minor miracle.

The way you phrased it sounds ridiculous but the alternative is they're saying to acts "We don't want you as a headliner but here's £Xk to play a secret set. Don't take any other gigs that would pay you more."  - just without the "can we bump you up if needs be?" bit. I don't see how adding that makes it *more* ridiculous.

I genuinely don't for a minute think if Ed had dropped out, The Killers would have played John Peel that year. You can argue if they'd have rejigged it and had them sub Biffy or whatever but there's no way they're just not taking advantage of that.

But yeah, I think they have a large-ish act booked each day (or to cover multiple days if they're on site for longer anyway) that they can slot in if needed, and otherwise they do a secret set. Sometimes they are headliner level, sometimes they're not but allow for the line-up to be rejigged without obvious gaps. Sometimes acts drop out before the poster even drops, so we never know. Sometimes you end up with a big act that was missing from the first poster but we never know. So on those days, you don't see any secret sets.

I might well be wrong, but I've yet to hear any other explanation for secret sets. Because yes, what I'm saying might sound stupid, but what's also stupid is Jack White playing The Park on Sunday afternoon unannounced and George Ezra playing John Peel unannounced.

Secret sets don't make any sense anyway. And I don't think it's a coincidence that we had them, they went away for a bit, then came back shortly after 2015.

Who covers for the secret set when all those headliners are pulling out on the day and need replacing? 

Just now, Punisher said:

Am I the only one who thinks this could the nail in the coffin for the 1975’s future pyramid prospects?

No Parklife headliner has gone on to headline Glastonbury.

E8EF94A5-BA93-4670-96F8-DC72B3EEEE3E.jpeg

At this point, I get the impression they just take anything and everything they are offered. Fair play to em, maybe we'll see them on the other stage after all this year. Definitely not headlining the Pyramid though, and as you say, this seems to push them back a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Punisher said:

Am I the only one who thinks this could be the nail in the coffin for the 1975’s future pyramid prospects?

E8EF94A5-BA93-4670-96F8-DC72B3EEEE3E.jpeg

Its an 80k festival thats quite a different genre normally to Glastonbury - few of their headliners would even do glastonbury off genre alone

Hardly the nail in the coffin

4 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

At this point, I get the impression they just take anything and everything they are offered. Fair play to em, maybe we'll see them on the other stage after all this year. Definitely not headlining the Pyramid though, and as you say, this seems to push them back a bit. 

Yeah I think they’re dangerously close to a Foals situation, except they’re more popular.

Would love to see them headline the Other stage during GnR.

Edited by Punisher

48 minutes ago, Punisher said:

Am I the only one who thinks this could be the nail in the coffin for the 1975’s future pyramid prospects?

Parklife has only existed for just over a decade, and was much smaller for the first few of those.

Meanwhile Glastonbury has only taken place in 2 of the last 5 years.

Even without the relatively limited opportunities for it to have happened, it'd be a huge stretch to try and presume any link there.