Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

57 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

And even though it fell flat , Gorillaz bought quite a crew too that wasn’t a regular thing, right? 

They mightve had a couple more than normal but they usually have guests during a regular set. That same year at their Coachella set they actually lost some guests due to the volcano which was a bummer.

8 hours ago, Jose Pose said:

Good list, but re: Kanye, I’m not a huge fan so maybe someone who is can confirm, but it was a cherry picker he had and I’m pretty sure on his tour he got on top of his light rig which wasn’t possible at Glasto, so this was just to try and replicate that, so nothing special to Glasto as such.

Edit: Yeah:

EC74E634-3470-436D-BFB0-652DABD31935.webp

Wrong tour. He hadnt released Life of Pablo yet when he was there  in 2015. The production he had at Glasto was what he used at the dozen or so gigs he did that entire year. 

having seen don't worry darling I don't think we need to worry about him getting any more acting roles

Have not watched don't worry darling I can only assume it is a long overdue feature film about this legend

cakes&snouts — blackadder-gifs: The best of Captain Kevin Darling

Edited by JonSnow
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClementsMike said:

And even though it fell flat , Gorillaz bought quite a crew too that wasn’t a regular thing, right? 

Yeah they did, they usually have some touring guests plus an extra bonus one who happens to be near, but Glasto getting Mark E Smith and Lou Reed was pretty special, on top of Shaun Ryder and Snoop 

23 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I was there, and Bruce played his touring set, inasmuch as that has some flexibility from night to night. He often opens with a song special to the location, and in this case it was Joe Strummer's Coma Girl which is about the festival. But other than that it was business as usual. I am a fan, but I think this was a mistake. I mean.... Outlaw Pete ffs?!

Who here is slandering Outlaw Pete?!? Sir, I challenge you AT DAWN to a duel for the honour of Outlaw Pete!

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Doing “something special” isn’t just about wheeling some guests out.

As I said about Kendrick, he wrote and prepared a show specifically for that stage.

This is it! It's not necessarily the guests, or the setlist, or something like that. Sometimes it's just the attitude or words said by the artist where you can tell it's a really special day for them. As it was for Stormzy, there was absolutely no doubting that was the most special day of his career. Likewise Adele, even if the show itself was pretty much the same as the rest of her tour will have been

16 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Doing “something special” isn’t just about wheeling some guests out.

As I said about Kendrick, he wrote and prepared a show specifically for that stage.

Neither is adapting your show to fit the space you're in particularly "special". Kendrick put together a pre-tour set for festivals. Glastonbury got it and it was magnificent, but it wasn't written just for Glasto and it had already been performed before we got to see it.

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

Neither is adapting your show to fit the space you're in particularly "special". Kendrick put together a pre-tour set for festivals. Glastonbury got it and it was magnificent, but it wasn't written just for Glasto and it had already been performed before we got to see it.

As has been noted before the Italy show a few days before was essentially a dress rehearsal for Glastonbury. I don’t think that can be counted really.

The bleeding Crown hadn’t been done before and hasn’t been done since.

15 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Wrong tour. He hadnt released Life of Pablo yet when he was there  in 2015. The production he had at Glasto was what he used at the dozen or so gigs he did that entire year. 

Also the lighting was a small homage to The Queen.

qt26i1BEWGdyvYnHOidVmbzriM2Vq2d1hh6od9uy0J0.webp

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As has been noted before the Italy show a few days before was essentially a dress rehearsal for Glastonbury. I don’t think that can be counted really.

The bleeding Crown hadn’t been done before and hasn’t been done since.

Cause you can only make a million dollar crown bleed once. 

Kenny also pretty much did a best of set in comparison to the only other festival set he did a month later. That had Kodak Black and Baby Keem as guests though and other new songs.

Edited by Suprefan

15 hours ago, evilduck said:

Yeah they did, they usually have some touring guests plus an extra bonus one who happens to be near, but Glasto getting Mark E Smith and Lou Reed was pretty special, on top of Shaun Ryder and Snoop 

Didn't they also have De La Soul, Shaun Ryder and Bobby Womack?  Insane guest list thinking back.  Shame it fell so flat really.

14 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Didn't they also have De La Soul, Shaun Ryder and Bobby Womack?  Insane guest list thinking back.  Shame it fell so flat really.

Even at Primavera this year they had Mos Def, De La Soul, Slowthai and more. Great show. 

On 1/21/2023 at 8:05 PM, maelzoid said:

I was there, and Bruce played his touring set, inasmuch as that has some flexibility from night to night. He often opens with a song special to the location, and in this case it was Joe Strummer's Coma Girl which is about the festival. But other than that it was business as usual. I am a fan, but I think this was a mistake. I mean.... Outlaw Pete ffs?!

He played a night one set. If you really want to see Bruce go left field go to night three of a three night stand somewhere. That’s why any time he comes to Ireland I go every night…

8 minutes ago, dreams_burn_down said:

Is this received wisdom among Springsteen fans? I have tickets to the first of his Hyde Park shows but I wasn't thinking tactically at all 😅

Not necessarily - you can go to a one-off show and still end up with a slew of deep cuts. (Typically find the later into a tour you go, the stranger it gets.)

That first night at Hyde Park might well be as close to a hits-only affair as you may get on the tour though!)

• Thanks 1