Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

26 minutes ago, kalifire said:

That wasn’t the point I was making. I didn’t say they’re “meant” to book anyone. I pointed out that by Emily’s own words, a line up without a fair gender split is unfortunate. Inevitable? Maybe. But it’s clearly not their ideal.

Thanks for  exhausting every single woman artist they could possibly book though. 

Well no it’s probably not ideal but how does that make Guns N’ Roses more unlikely?

Not having a woman headlining doesn’t mean there isn’t a fair gender split if they still have a 50/50 balance overall. As CalGon says, there weren’t really any obvious options. As long as they’re still booking acts like Rina Sawayama, Lizzo, Angel Olsen, FKA twigs etc and promoting a balanced lineup overall then that’s still progress.

18 hours ago, stuie said:

And 505 please.

That is still being played all the time, but both it and 4/5 are currently being played in a differently styled version.

I don't object to bands re-arranging their big songs but it has to add something imo. For my money, I think the Humbug Tour version which changed the key but not the actual song structure was better.

EDIT: Didn't realise this was already debated a few pages back. Nevermind.

Edited by charlierc
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gfa said:

This is the first time for a while they've truly satisfied all demand, some of the shows took a while to sell out (the sunday at Emirates was still pretty available for several weeks i think). Understandable the hype has fizzled out - along with their stinky albums

This year's set has been quite good imo - better than when i saw them in 2018. Add in 1-2 older one-offs i'd say

Imagine they did a 2 hour set, would love that - more time for good songs ontop of the normal set

I'm not sure if that is hype fizzling out though. AM have never done a UK tour of this scale before and the whole thing pretty much sold out. If that's not hype for them, what is?

I'd like it if the stadium shows are more than the usual 90min 21 song run-through, but I would be surprised if it is the case.

19 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Where's Flourescent Adolescent or When The Sun Goes Down??? 

Neither played since 2014. They sounded like they bored of playing Fluorescent Adolescent in 2014 so I wasn't too mad about it being skipped on the last tour, but I was expecting it to possibly come back after a cycle out. Apparently not. There was a piano version done once or twice in 2018 of FA that I thought sounded rather nice - much better than a half-arsed karaoke to a drum machine of Mardy Bum & Certain Romance done round the same time.

Sun Goes Down I was hoping might get a re-appraisal. But obvs not. View from the Afternoon still being around is one I'm up for.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Flo is one of few that actually didn't just explode from the Glastonbury booking and that probably tells the festival a lot. Flo just isn't a Pyramid headliner now but had she just been a headliner in the year she it then it uld have been fine. The list above, only Blackpink are close and please no. 

Given how much being a stand-in headliner helped light a firework under Pulp's career - if a right place right time kinda thing - you'd be forgiven for thinking that could've happened for FATM, though equally, I'd say they're still of a big nature. They've done BST Hyde Park twice and sold a lot of tix for their tour, even after this tour had to be postponed due to Florence's injury, so it's not a big-ness question, more if big enough for the nature of this as a slot. Would be a cool secret set booking imo.

I saw her a few weeks after that Glasto slot in 2015 tbf. Was awesome, and there's a few songs on Dance Fever I like so would be open to seeing the shows later this month all the same.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Given how much being a stand-in headliner helped light a firework under Pulp's career - if a right place right time kinda thing - you'd be forgiven for thinking that could've happened for FATM, though equally, I'd say they're still of a big nature. They've done BST Hyde Park twice and sold a lot of tix for their tour, even after this tour had to be postponed due to Florence's injury, so it's not a big-ness question, more if big enough for the nature of this as a slot. Would be a cool secret set booking imo.

I saw her a few weeks after that Glasto slot in 2015 tbf. Was awesome, and there's a few songs on Dance Fever I like so would be open to seeing the shows later this month all the same.

I like Florence personally. By no means a small act buy I feel she might have her own 'crowd' without broader appeal possibly. Her fill in headline show was far from a huge crowd. The time I feel has gone though.

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

yes, flo can hold a note. 😛 

You know I didn't actually post that comment.

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I like Florence personally. By no means a small act buy I feel she might have her own 'crowd' without broader appeal possibly. Her fill in headline show was far from a huge crowd. The time I feel has gone though.

You know I didn't actually post that comment.

i didnt say it was the right note. 😛 

I’m amazed that people think Florence has a better live singing voice than Axl, they both sound a bit ropey to me but Axl is at least fronting a rock band where an abrasive sound is a whole lot more appropriate.
I can’t think of many other singers with such a difference between recorded and live than Florence, I think she’s got a bloody dreadful voice (standard ‘this is my opinion and feel free not to agree with it’ proviso) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

She also said that a fair gender split is an aim of the festival. Therefore if every single headliner was male (or male fronted), that’s something the festival would presumably consider unfortunate.

Which makes booking Guns and Roses because Taylor can’t do it seem even more bizarre and unlikely. 

There is a genuine drought on acts touring Europe this year. I can see the festival compromising on the female stage headliner thing if it genuinely meant a subpar lineup.

It’s unfortunate because Emily has been very vocal about 50/50… but if there is a year where they can’t get a female headliner they will just have to ride the bad press.

Plus, I think the pyramid will be the only stage without a female headliner. There’s plenty of candidates for the others.

59 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’m amazed that people think Florence has a better live singing voice than Axl, they both sound a bit ropey to me but Axl is at least fronting a rock band where an abrasive sound is a whole lot more appropriate.
I can’t think of many other singers with such a difference between recorded and live than Florence, I think she’s got a bloody dreadful voice (standard ‘this is my opinion and feel free not to agree with it’ proviso) 

Couldn’t agree more. Awful wailing.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:33 AM, Hugh Jass II said:

Imagine the setlist:

• See My Vest
  • Monorail Song
  • Talkin Softball
  • Baby on Board
  • We Do (The Stonecutters Song)
  • Can I Borrow A Feeling?
  • Dr Zaius

Ending on a Tito Puente hologram doing his Burns mambo.

Tito Puente on 6 Music. It's a sign.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

That wasn’t the point I was making. I didn’t say they’re “meant” to book anyone. I pointed out that by Emily’s own words, a line up without a fair gender split is unfortunate. Inevitable? Maybe. But it’s clearly not their ideal.

Thanks for  exhausting every single woman artist they could possibly book though. 

Given that Emily has already said she’d like to book Guns N Roses you’d have to say they’re pretty likely. In the same way that she has never offered any guarantees about female headliners but is pressing her bookers to make it even overall, while accepting some years there will be all male headliners.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

I'm not sure if that is hype fizzling out though. AM have never done a UK tour of this scale before and the whole thing pretty much sold out. If that's not hype for them, what is?

I'd like it if the stadium shows are more than the usual 90min 21 song run-through, but I would be surprised if it is the case.

Neither played since 2014. They sounded like they bored of playing Fluorescent Adolescent in 2014 so I wasn't too mad about it being skipped on the last tour, but I was expecting it to possibly come back after a cycle out. Apparently not. There was a piano version done once or twice in 2018 of FA that I thought sounded rather nice - much better than a half-arsed karaoke to a drum machine of Mardy Bum & Certain Romance done round the same time.

Sun Goes Down I was hoping might get a re-appraisal. But obvs not. View from the Afternoon still being around is one I'm up for.

Cheers, I'm not exactly an AM fan, not that keen at all to be honest, but I do like some of their older, more energetic and popular songs.

Probably better I give it a miss then. 

8 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Going back to the Female headliner debate. The interview from June 2022 where Emily says “there’ll be some years where we have all male headliners, there will be some years hopefully where we’ll have all female headliners, it’s not always gonna be 50-50” is here, Emily starts talking at 36.45 and that specific line is at 37.12

Emily interview with Edith Bowman

"Some years where we'll have all male headliners, some years hopefully where you have all female headliners, it's not always gonna be 50/50, but the aim is that you're conscious of that when you're booking"

41 minutes ago, clarkete said:

"Some years where we'll have all male headliners, some years hopefully where you have all female headliners, it's not always gonna be 50/50, but the aim is that you're conscious of that when you're booking"

Exactly. They’re conscious of trying to get a 50/50 line up. They won’t always manage it, especially with headliners. For obvious reasons. Nobody should be surprised if they have all male headliners, as Emily herself says it’s a possibility.