Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

58 minutes ago, Willy-wam-wam-wozzle said:

I have just been informed by a reliable source that U2 will be making a return to the festival this year. So either GnR or AM won’t, in fact, be headlining.

U2 have literally just announced a new album* that's rearranged versions of old songs. Many of them done acoustically.

Indications seem to be they have no intention of touring it, but even if they did play the Pyramid as a one off, doing so with a low key set with mostly unfamiliar arrangements would be a spectacular misfire.

*40 tracks, so dunno how it breaks down

20 minutes ago, incident said:

U2 have literally just announced a new album* that's rearranged versions of old songs. Many of them done acoustically.

Indications seem to be they have no intention of touring it, but even if they did play the Pyramid as a one off, doing so with a low key set with mostly unfamiliar arrangements would be a spectacular misfire.

No guarantees that's what they'll do at gigs- Robbie Williams did a reworked album and just did a normal tour around it 

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Certainly with regards to headliners. Seems too many festivals are stuck in the past this year. To be fair GFL did well last year, but seem to have lost their bottle this year.

Why not take a chance? Glastonbury will sell out regardless so go for it, have fun, put some interesting acts headlining, don't worry about wether they've sold out a million stadium nights in a row.

If we lose a load of "picnic blanket/camping chair/slabs of cheap lager/bucket listers" so what.

Here's my shout - Kraftwerk headlining the Pyramid.

I agree with the sentiment tbf, I would love at least one headliner every year to be an act getting a step up. 

In fairness they do it fairly often but it's undeniable (IMO) that they have missed a trick this year. 

28 minutes ago, incident said:

there'sw also a rumour of the return of the foos.

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

No guarantees that's what they'll do at gigs- Robbie Williams did a reworked album and just did a normal tour around it 

It looks like they're not touring in 2023 at all. Bono has his "half book tour half gig" thing until (currently) early-May, with suggestions that there's more dates to be announced. Plus there's the problem of not having a drummer due to recovery from surgery.

I'm half wondering if Bono doing a more song focussed version of his book tour would be possible - but even that feels like an absolutely huge stretch and difficult to place - Acoustic headline could maybe fit but I can't see it happening.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

It looks like they're not touring in 2023 at all. Bono has his "half book tour half gig" thing until (currently) early-May, with suggestions that there's more dates to be announced. Plus there's the problem of not having a drummer due to recovery from surgery.

I'm half wondering if Bono doing a more song focussed version of his book tour would be possible - but even that feels like an absolutely huge stretch and difficult to place - Acoustic headline could maybe fit but I can't see it happening.

Bono doing a set in the Acoustic would be a health and safety nightmare.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

Bono doing a set in the Acoustic would be a health and safety nightmare.

Yeah, most likely.

But given the format/style of the show, I can't see it working at all anywhere larger. It's not designed to play to a big crowd.

4 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

They aren’t my thing at all  but on current hype it seems mad that Saturday night seems destined to be a semi heritage white rock act such as GnR, Foos or U2 when the 1975 could step up. I mean at least they are current and they certainly seem to have the chops to pull it off. 

1975 are also a white rock act.

I'm a bit shocked they haven't been given a bump up, I'd rather it be done and out of the way so they're not looming over the potential headliners discussion for years to come.

17 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

1975 are also a white rock act.

I'm a bit shocked they haven't been given a bump up, I'd rather it be done and out of the way so they're not looming over the potential headliners discussion for years to come.

Yeah, I figured if they are stuck with a white rock male act they may as well have some fresh meat? 
And yeah, have them this year when I‘m not going. 

1 hour ago, Glasto96 said:

Can someone tell me what I’ve missed? Has someone said Gun’s N Roses are out or something?

No, they're still in, according to Neil...

On 1/5/2023 at 6:37 PM, Neil said:

i'm hearing that Guns n Roses are playing!! omg i can't believe it. Will be an all timer 😍

• Upvote 3