Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

At least Elton continues the run of seeing an act every year who has been on the Simpsons:

• 04 - James Brown/Macca
  • 05 - The White Stripes
  • 07 - The Who
  • 09 - Spinal Tap
  • 10 - Willie Nelson
  • 11 - U2
  • 13 - The Stones (and Elvis Costello)
  • 14 - Dolly
  • 15 - The Moody Blues
  • 16 - Coldplay
  • 17 - Katy Perry
  • 19 - Billie Eilish
  • 22 - Macca
  • 23 - Reg

I come for the GnR hate, I stay for the Simpsons love

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd like to see WH lean more back into the "World Music" (yeah, generic term I know) approach that it had as the Jazzworld stage.  I like the electronic headliners that they've had, but there are a lot of other stages they can fit on.

I agree with this. Even the slightly mad Ata Kak was good fun a few years ago

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd like to see WH lean more back into the "World Music" (yeah, generic term I know) approach that it had as the Jazzworld stage.  I like the electronic headliners that they've had, but there are a lot of other stages they can fit on.

They've never really moved away from it - some big names played last year like Seun Kuti and Angelique Kidjo. I saw Arooj Aftab.

I agree that the tentative toe dipped into the 'shouting white men' waters by booking Sleaford Mods hopefully wont proliferate much further and become a leg or even an ankle 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

They've never really moved away from it - some big names played last year like Seun Kuti and Angelique Kidjo. I saw Arooj Aftab.

I agree that the tentative toe dipped into the 'shouting white men' waters by booking Sleaford Mods hopefully wont proliferate much further and become a leg or even an ankle 

Oh it's definitely still there, but feels like the top end of the bills have been shifting a bit? Admittedly this is based on an incomplete memory and zero research before posting, but then what else are we here for if not baseless sweeping generalisations?

Just now, Quark said:

Oh it's definitely still there, but feels like the top end of the bills have been shifting a bit? Admittedly this is based on an incomplete memory and zero research before posting, but then what else are we here for if not baseless sweeping generalisations?

Top end has been disco and hip hop for aeons. Probably does work better to close the day on than someone playing a marimba or something.

Hopefully Rosalia appears Friday night this year to pick up her crown.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Top end has been disco and hip hop for aeons. Probably does work better to close the day on than someone playing a marimba or something.

Hopefully Rosalia appears Friday night this year to pick up her crown.

Well if you're going to quote facts at me then I just won't bother.

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

At least Elton continues the run of seeing an act every year who has been on the Simpsons:

• 04 - James Brown/Macca
  • 05 - The White Stripes
  • 07 - The Who
  • 09 - Spinal Tap
  • 10 - Willie Nelson
  • 11 - U2
  • 13 - The Stones (and Elvis Costello)
  • 14 - Dolly
  • 15 - The Moody Blues
  • 16 - Coldplay
  • 17 - Katy Perry
  • 19 - Billie Eilish
  • 22 - Macca
  • 23 - Reg

03 - REM

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Ah fuck it...

1. Marge v The Monorail
  2. Last Exit To Springfield
  3. Lady Bouvier's Lover
  4. Homer Badman
  5. Bart's Girlfriend
  6. Homer At The Bat
  7. Rosebud
  8. The Springfield Files
  9. Grampa v Sexual Inadequacy and Pablo Honey
  10. Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie

The Poochie episode has to be higher surely!  I also have a soft spot for King of the Hill, where Homer climbs the Murderhorn.

Re WH and world music (TM) one of the first acts I watched at my first Glasto was Speed Caravan on WH.  Just wandered though and liked the sound of it.  Really enjoyed their set and it properly opened my eyes/ears as to what the possibilities were at Glasto.  Rarely happens to me anymore, but I think that's because I'm better organised and have more planned sets these days.  Maybe there is less world music (TM) or maybe I'm just more distracted/blinkered and need to chill and bimble about more.

Ah fuck it...

1. Marge v The Monorail
  3. Lady Bouvier's Lover
  4. Homer Badman
  5. Bart's Girlfriend
  6. Homer At The Bat
  7. Rosebud
  8. The Springfield Files

The lack of You Only Move Twice is criminal. 

Finally this thread is listed as hot and there's some worthwhile discussion going on. 

Ah fuck it...

1. Marge v The Monorail
  3. Lady Bouvier's Lover
  4. Homer Badman
  5. Bart's Girlfriend
  6. Homer At The Bat
  7. Rosebud
  8. The Springfield Files

I'd add honorable mentions for the Stonecutters episode, Mr Plow and Flaming Moes 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

The size difference between Other and Park/JP is huge. They need to upgrade one of Park/JP if they were to stop doing the electronic headliners on WH.

Not sure Bicep let alone Fred Again could be put on Park/JP reasonably.

• Upvote 1