Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

6 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Nationality is irrelevant, it’s a UK festival with a green ethos who actively encourage thousands to come by coach. Nationality will get represented by proxy of what music is popular and credible. To actually go out of their way to represent specific nationalities would be in direct conflict with the festivals ethos. If anything, they should be going out of their way to promote UK acts.

There have been bands, groups and DJs from across the world at Glastonbury, orchestras, big African bands, Ukrainian acts just this year. 

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It should just be about who's big enough etc for the slots on offer. No one is discriminating by not booking a certain field.

So, you're genuinely okay in saying that there's been less than 10 headliners with a female front who have been big enough to headline Glastonbury, in 50 years. Promoting diversity, by going out of the 'norm' and promoting other types of music, isn't seen as shameful, such as having a pop headliner, or a rap headliner, so neither should promoting acts of different genders and nationality's, especially if they're big enough. 

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

There have been bands, groups and DJs from across the world at Glastonbury, orchestras, big African bands, Ukrainian acts just this year. 

So, you're genuinely okay in saying that there's been less than 10 headliners with a female front who have been big enough to headline Glastonbury, in 50 years. Promoting diversity, by going out of the 'norm' and promoting other types of music, isn't seen as shameful, such as having a pop headliner, or a rap headliner, so neither should promoting acts of different genders and nationality's, especially if they're big enough. 

Great insight, I think the booking of Ukrainian acts may have been linked to something, struggling to think what though.

Of course there will be acts from all over the world, the point is as a UK festival with a green ethos that is aimed at limiting carbon emissions from travel by punters, they have absolutely no responsibility to actively go out of there way to represent nationalities.

Of course it will absolutely happen naturally though, unless the rest of the world stop producing and performing music.

Edited by Jose Pose

The thing is it’s just a bit of negative PR the festival is going to have to manage. The reason why is that Glasto HQ have been very vocal about diverse lineups, so as a consequence the magnifying glass on them is much sharper. No one really cares if TRNSMT or R&L book only men because they’ve not invited that level of scrutiny.

This has happened because they put too many eggs in the Swift basket and they will have to deal with the consequences of that… but it will be nothing more than a bit of negative press on lineup day / the daily mail having an opportunity to call Glasto HQ a hypocrite.

They will get negative press but they will just have to ride it out.

Christine and the Queens count as a male act, but I think it's a spectrum. In 2023, as long as the stage isn't entirely dominated by cis white men with guitars, I think that's a step in the right direction. We can't immediately expect to have a properly 50/50 lineup without compromising a little first. I think the stat may be skewed a little by bands who have women in their backing band rather than necessarily the frontperson, and that's okay imo

On 12/22/2022 at 11:44 AM, mike46 said:

Just to add to this, I did hear something this week which would mean those who’ve locked in AM and GnR as the other two might want to start searching for their keys. It’s from someone who would certainly be in a position to know one of them - but I don’t know this person very well and they might well have just been trying to big themselves up and look more impressive to the group. There should be something happening early Jan (unrelated to Glasto) that would either backup their claims or prove they were having me on… 

Either way, I don’t think it’s as set in stone as some people are thinking.  

It's Dua Lipa isn't it? And your belief in it is hinging on her being announced for Coachella in January? 

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Dua would be a surprise but she's seemingly been working fast on the next album, so it might be an optimum time for her to launch the first single. It's a bit weird considering she's only just finishing touring the last record, but maybe she just wants to keep things moving.

Maybe Glastonbury have said to Dua that she can headliner next year because they've moved Taylor till 2024 and prefer not to have two female pop acts because it might upset some people on here. 

21 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Dua would be a surprise but she's seemingly been working fast on the next album, so it might be an optimum time for her to launch the first single. It's a bit weird considering she's only just finishing touring the last record, but maybe she just wants to keep things moving.

If they can have two rock bands in one year they can have two female popstars.

Plus, we are due a year with three pop/rap headliners. It will come one day.

Edited by Matt42

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The thing is it’s just a bit of negative PR the festival is going to have to manage. The reason why is that Glasto HQ have been very vocal about diverse lineups, so as a consequence the magnifying glass on them is much sharper. No one really cares if TRNSMT or R&L book only men because they’ve not invited that level of scrutiny.

This has happened because they put too many eggs in the Swift basket and they will have to deal with the consequences of that… but it will be nothing more than a bit of negative press on lineup day / the daily mail having an opportunity to call Glasto HQ a hypocrite.

They will get negative press but they will just have to ride it out.

Unless it's not AM/GnR and there's a woman after all. 

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If they can have two rock bands in one year they can have two female popstars.

Plus, we are due a year with three pop/rap headliners. It will come one day.

This board, twitter and facebook would go into meltdown if/when that happens. Can't wait. 

The funniest thing is seeing people put Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, George Ezra, Billie Eilish all under 'pop' when they all do very different things, but because its 'radio popular' falls under that banner. If you had Dua/Dave/Taylor Swift as the top 3. It would be 3 very different artists with 3 very different shows. Daily Mail would cry, make it happen. 

14 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This board, twitter and facebook would go into meltdown if/when that happens. Can't wait. 

The funniest thing is seeing people put Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, George Ezra, Billie Eilish all under 'pop' when they all do very different things, but because its 'radio popular' falls under that banner. If you had Dua/Dave/Taylor Swift as the top 3. It would be 3 very different artists with 3 very different shows. Daily Mail would cry, make it happen. 

Well my prediction for 2024 is Dua Lipa, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift

I reckon that trio would go down very well in most places.

16 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

If you had Dua/Dave/Taylor Swift as the top 3. It would be 3 very different artists with 3 very different shows. Daily Mail would cry, make it happen. 

We will 100% get a trio like that one day. Maybe with different artists but I could see two pop stars, a hip hop/rap act and then a rockier legend.

The reason why is because thats where the music industry is going. More rap/pop acts coming up than ever rock acts.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Well my prediction for 2024 is Dua Lipa, Foo Fighters, Taylor Swift

I reckon that trio would go down very well in most places.

Foos headlining again would be so naff. Just a rehash of 2017, they've not made tunes the public have cared about in years. At least The Killers was a 12 year gap and they had quite a few big singles in between that broke the mainstream. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Matt42 said:

But if we are talking about who is booked right now… you need to disprove AM and GNR before any other suggestion is taken seriously. 

This kind of thread-killing drivel needs to be called out for the load of old bullshit it is.

Nothing unofficial needs to be disproved at all, because nothing has been proven. This is a speculation thread until it’s not, and as confident as some are in what other people have claimed, history proves that until it’s on the poster (and sometimes not even then), it’s rumour and hearsay. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 16

5 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Therefore in your eyes Diana Ross and Whitney Houston would not count as they did not write their own songs, as have many other pop stars.

Maybe saying female session musicians do not count is the right position but the Guns N Roses keyboardist and the Franz Ferdinand drummer are both full time members. As are many other female musicians who have joined bands but are not original members. The line between session musicians and band members is blurred a lot of the time.

Yes, it's blurred. Hence I didn't use that distinction. I based it on songwriter credits instead as that's much more straightforward.

Obviously the measure is different for solo artists performing other people's songs.

I would rightly count Pulp, for example, as Candida has writing credits on the songs. I think it would be denigrating her to lump her in with Melissa Reese.

Never mind how problematic it is that the festival aren't booking enough rich white female mainstream pop stars, where's the Mongolian representation? Huh? I literally can't even!

But on a serious note, they should book these guys.

Edited by VCK

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yes, it's blurred. Hence I didn't use that distinction. I based it on songwriter credits instead as that's much more straightforward.

Obviously the measure is different for solo artists performing other people's songs.

I would rightly count Pulp, for example, as Candida has writing credits on the songs. I think it would be denigrating her to lump her in with Melissa Reese.

So you would count a female solo singer who doesn't write any of her own songs but you don't count a band that has males and females if none of the females write the songs; even if it is a 20 piece band with one male member who writes the songs.

Melissa Reese has written songs for other projects but are you saying it only counts if the female has written songs for the act playing?

If guns n roses released one new song that has a Melissa Reese writers credit is that enough to count guns n roses as a female act? If not how many songs would she have to have credit on? Do these songs need to be performed live?

I think I agree with you about Pulp counting but many people wouldn't.

I don't agree that song writing credits makes the deciding factor easier