2024 Headliners

14 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Must’ve close now, and also can’t remember the rumours page being so sparse at this time of the year 

It's paradoxical in a way. It's very rare that we know so little so late. But at the same time in my experience it's rare that we are so confident on who the headliners are before they are announced. 

10 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

In recent days we've had Fontaines DC, the Mary Wallopers, Jungle, Moonchild Sanelly, Janelle Monae, SG Lewis and a few others all more or less confirmed.

Also Sammy Virji and Sub Focus

6 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

They sell 135,000 tickets in an hour and could put Boris and Rishi on the Pyramid having a laugh if they want”

No they couldn’t. They absolutely couldn’t. Thankfully I don’t think Emily is stupid annd arrogant enough to believe this. They sell a whole package, which includes getting the biggest headliners they possibly can. It’s a delicate balancing act, to start throwing away one of the most popular parts of that package would be lunacy.

I dont know, Coachella just sold out one weekend ( 125k ) with Tyler The Creator, Lana and Doja Cat at the top. and have another week of it right after. Lunacy you say?  And your argument is pretty much you want Glasto to keep getting these mega stars cause youre too cheap to see them elsewhere on their own so it upsets you when they dont get a Madonna or Ac/DC cause they price you out otherwise. Again, theyre gonna hit a wall at some point. No stadium acts and all that  and youll have to deal with younger acts at the top and Coldplay will be considered a legend in their mid 50's. I mean Shania this year points towards that trend being the thing. I think in the end maybe everyone should be happy the fest is still happening at all. Why be so focused on those top 3 names. Personally I feel its better if all 3 were shite cause that means theres no requirement to be at the Pyramid to end the evening and you can go find something else to go watch instead.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

I dont know, Coachella just sold out one weekend ( 125k ) with Tyler The Creator, Lana and Doja Cat at the top. and have another week of it right after. Lunacy you say?  And your argument is pretty much you want Glasto to keep getting these mega stars cause youre too cheap to see them elsewhere on their own so it upsets you when they dont get a Madonna or Ac/DC cause they price you out otherwise. Again, theyre gonna hit a wall at some point. No stadium acts and all that  and youll have to deal with younger acts at the top and Coldplay will be considered a legend in their mid 50's. I mean Shania this year points towards that trend being the thing. I think in the end maybe everyone should be happy the fest is still happening at all. Why be so focused on those top 3 names. Personally I feel it’s better if all 3 were shite cause that means theres no requirement to be at the Pyramid to end the evening and you can go find something else to go watch instead.

‘It’s a good thing that Coachella’s three headliners suck this year actually’.

IMG_0278.jpeg

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Actually, the "Reg As Genius" thesis is bolstered immeasurably by his film and stage work.

19th person ever to win the EGOT.

And the fact he’s never taken more than 30 minutes to write a song. I’m assuming that meets the “music pours out” criterion.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I dont know, Coachella just sold out one weekend ( 125k ) with Tyler The Creator, Lana and Doja Cat at the top. and have another week of it right after. Lunacy you say?  And your argument is pretty much you want Glasto to keep getting these mega stars cause youre too cheap to see them elsewhere on their own so it upsets you when they dont get a Madonna or Ac/DC cause they price you out otherwise. Again, theyre gonna hit a wall at some point. No stadium acts and all that  and youll have to deal with younger acts at the top and Coldplay will be considered a legend in their mid 50's. I mean Shania this year points towards that trend being the thing. I think in the end maybe everyone should be happy the fest is still happening at all. Why be so focused on those top 3 names. Personally I feel its better if all 3 were shite cause that means theres no requirement to be at the Pyramid to end the evening and you can go find something else to go watch instead.

I dont know, Coachella just sold out one weekend ( 125k ) with Tyler The Creator, Lana and Doja Cat at the top. and have another week of it right after”

And? 

”Lunacy you say?”

Yes.  

“And your argument is pretty much you want Glasto to keep getting these mega stars cause youre too cheap to see them elsewhere on their own so it upsets you when they dont get a Madonna or Ac/DC cause they price you out otherwise”

Where did I say that? That isn’t my argument. You’ve made that up.

”Again, theyre gonna hit a wall at some point. No stadium acts and all that  and youll have to deal with younger acts at the top and Coldplay will be considered a legend in their mid 50's.”

So what you mean is people get older. Some acts get older and new big acts come through.

”I mean Shania this year points towards that trend being the thing.” 

What trend? They’ve booked someone older than two of the headliners for the Legend slot?

“I think in the end maybe everyone should be happy the fest is still happening at all. Why be so focused on those top 3 names.”

This is the 2024 Headliners thread. We were literally discussing the subject of the thread

“Personally I feel its better if all 3 were shite cause that means theres no requirement to be at the Pyramid to end the evening and you can go find something else to go watch instead”

What you (or I) personally want has nothing to do with the sheer lunacy of deliberately deciding to book smaller acts to headline one of the biggest festivals in the world and arrogantly assuming people will still pony up hundreds of pounds when that happens.

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Coachella have booked an Other stage lineup for their main stage this year and they’ve struggled with it - looks like it won’t even sell out. 

There’s no requirement to be at the Pyramid on any night. It’s certainly not a reason why they should make weaker bookings.

12 hours ago, Suprefan said:

What are they destroying if its sold out without an single act announced? They sell 135,000 tickets in an hour and could put Boris and Rishi on the Pyramid having a laugh if they want. They essentially do the opposite of what they could do with such a blessing. They play it very very safe cause they think they have to appease the lawn chair audience and theyre the only ones who buy tickets or something. They could challenge the audience but its once in a blue moon when it even happens. I mean its pretty much when any black artist is headlining that theres any uproar with the general public abut the festival losing its touch or something. I mean we have seen what happens when Emily goes after the tough gets and sometimes it burns you. Theyre lucky they even get Coldplay to perform for next to nothing or else they would have some other issues this year.

like ive said in the past we will see what happens when all 3 headliners are under the age of 30 or even all female. everyones mum will say its trash and they want to return their ticket. Fine, let em. Or do the boldest thing and dont put one ticket on sale until after you announce the lineup and see what happens with sales and reaction. If they want to see how the audience is currently then thats what you do. Its still gonna take another generation for the core attendees to be ok with certain bookings.

Absolutely 200% spot on there @Suprefan

23 hours ago, Ncahir94 said:

Probably a very unpopular opinion but both the 1975 and more appropriately bring me the horizon are future headliners and deservedly so due to both being incredible live. 

BMTH are too heavy to headline the Pyramid, no matter how much more pop leaning their newer material is. Their songs are still downtuned to hell and contain too many unclean vocals. There is no precedent for a band with vocals as extreme as theirs playing high up the pyramid, let alone headlining. They would make a fantastic Other headliner, however. 

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I'm just chuffed that Suprefan has finally been unmasked as a Brit. No-one says shite in America!

10 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Too right, I'm not too cheap but a gig is not worth north of £100 comfortably! Forget how much inflation etc has happened, there is a major difference between paying £1.20 for a can of beans and sausages now that was £80p and paying £130 for a ticket that was £45/50 several years back.

Truth is you go back to when Coachella was good and booked acts worth it's wait, they booked mega stars too. What your really annoyed about is that Glastonbury still can do that running at 2 3rds the price of Coachella.

12 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

What you (or I) personally want has nothing to do with the sheer lunacy of deliberately deciding to book smaller acts to headline one of the biggest festivals in the world and arrogantly assuming people will still pony up hundreds of pounds when that happens.

I'm sure it will be absolutely fine to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Absolutely no doubt about it, and no parables or examples from history to suggest otherwise.

11 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Absolutely 200% spot on there @Suprefan

For someone with such a long history with the festival, I’m flabbergasted that you think they could put the Other stage line up on the Pyramid without any effect on ticket demand or tv viewer numbers! 

Perhaps you missed Coachella’s sh*tty sales this year? 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

For someone with such a long history with the festival, I’m flabbergasted that you think they could put the Other stage line up on the Pyramid without any effect on ticket demand or tv viewer numbers! 

Perhaps you missed Coachella’s sh*tty sales this year? 

Certainly I'm aware that Coachella has, in previous years, sold out both weekends straight away. There was an article saying this was their slowest sales in years, to the point where you wonder if it would've been a better bet to just do the single weekend.

6 hours ago, northernangel said:

Too right, I'm not too cheap but a gig is not worth north of £100 comfortably! Forget how much inflation etc has happened, there is a major difference between paying £1.20 for a can of beans and sausages now that was £80p and paying £130 for a ticket that was £45/50 several years back.

Truth is you go back to when Coachella was good and booked acts worth it's wait, they booked mega stars too. What your really annoyed about is that Glastonbury still can do that running at 2 3rds the price of Coachella.

I'm sill struggling to reconcile it tbf. Most expensive single gig I've done was less than £90, but only way I'd feel ok paying over £100 per ticket is if it was a festival ticket with at least 6 acts I'd want to see. And even then, it's still weird given the memories of it once being half that.

At present that's $125, so it may not be that out of sync with what the cheap seats are at US shows before that dynamic pricing horseshit is activated.